IT.COM

Searched domains on GoDaddy being scooped up.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rich Trader

Established Member
Impact
Today, I was searching for domains to hand reg. I was randomly searching for names then, I suddenly remembered an article published by marketwatch yesterday about home ownership by genarationz so I thought why not search and to my surprise generationz.com was available to register, I had previously as a novice had registered some seemingly gem of names only to find then to be worth nothing. So I went to the domain appraisal tool on godaddy and searched for previous sales and estimates they were in the five figure range. I went back to search only to find it to be taken. Please advise, It has happened to me previously too, only that I didn't care much.
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quick check showed that it was regged in 1996, are you sure?

•••
•••
•••
•••
It happened something like that for me also but not in the valuation page. I never use godaddy to find if a domain is taken or not

Last edited:
•••
This domain was first registered in 1996 and never dropped. Currently it is registered at Namecheap.

•••
•••
•••
Why would you register such a domain?
That's not the topic. It's about big shark praying on retail (small) domainers.

•••
it's called 'glitch' in their system. nothing new.
domain was available then searched again and it says not available.
always check whois if it has date of registered earlier than the day you searched on.
if it says available, check it on other domain registrar sites.

•••
•••
It was available because it was dropped then Godaddy scooped it up.

•••
•••
it happened with me also i was search for a particular domain and found not registered but got busy on some call i checked after few hours but its is registered with namecheap.com

•••
This domain was first registered in 1996 and never dropped. Currently it is registered at Namecheap.
Yes.
Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
Updated Date: 2018-02-13T12:43:30Z
Creation Date: 1996-02-19T05:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-02-20T05:00:00Z
Registrar: NameCheap Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 1068

•••
Don't use GoDaddy to check if a name is available. In fact don't use any registrar. Use a whois tool.

•••
It was available because it was dropped then Godaddy scooped it up.

Why do you say that? Looks like it was renewed by the owner on 13 Feb 2018, before the expiry date.

You may want to to edit the thread title - you can.

•••
It was never available.

Creation Date: 2014-03-18T18:58:26Z

•••
•••
•••
•••
I've had many many domains say they are available, but when I go to add to cart, it's not. It's been pretty common for me..

•••
whois data showing expiration date
does not mean it will expire on that day

it simply means "paid through" that day

owner has a lot of time beyond to renew and keep the domain

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back