IT.COM

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dont get me wrong - so far I am very happy using SAV due to its competitive pricing.

I just hope they can be mature / transparent in terms of backordering...

•••
@Bob Hawkes Do you have any news about the tax forms?
Thanks!
A few days ago I got the following from my Sav ticket. It did not indicate the reasoning (other than it came from their payment processor) or answer to my query about IRS interpretation of personal services.
"If you claim a treaty benefit, you will be prompted to fill out an 8233 form. We suggest using the 8233 Tax Form instead W8-BEN. "

My understanding remains that the 8233 is for compensation for personal services, which IRS define as services performed in the United States.

W8-BEN is for compensation from US firms for foreign people who perform that work from outside the United States in their home country.

Most other domain marketplaces, and other places that sell items at a US marketplace like eBay, generally use the W8-BEN and that is what Canadian tax accountants seem to suggest is correct form.

I have not decided what to do personally. For now I am not completing the 8233, nor taking out funds from Sav.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Of all the registrars I use, Sav is the most unresponsive when it comes to customer service. They will take days before replying to support tickets or Twitter DMs, no live chat on their website. So frustrating!

Is there any Sav staff that can attend to me here on Namepros via DM without asking me to go create a ticket on their website?

•••
@KTC - We are aware of the issues with the auctions export file and hope to have them resolved in the next few weeks.

@CK_Yau - If you want to DM me the domain name and your Sav email address, I would be happy to take a look. We do attempt all domains that are dropping that have backorders placed on them before the start of the day. If the backorder is placed too late, like after the domain is caught, it is not taken into account when awarding the domain name.

@PurpleMan - We aim to respond to all tickets within 1 business day (M-F) and actually reply to most tickets within a few business hours. If you want to DM me the title of the ticket and your email address I would be happy to take a look.

•••
@PurpleMan - We aim to respond to all tickets within 1 business day (M-F) and actually reply to most tickets within a few business hours. If you want to DM me the title of the ticket and your email address I would be happy to take a look.
I've finally been able to resolve it. I'll take note of this ensure to send you a DM next time I need help.

•••
@KTC - We are aware of the issues with the auctions export file and hope to have them resolved in the next few weeks.
Perfect. I hope that is the case on why ExpiredDomains.net took it down because of the export file cause I know I wasn't able to pull it myself. Look forward to buying at SAV again!

•••
•••
When someone sells a domain via SAV and they are credited with the proceeds, allow them to use the money in their SAV account for registering/buying domains on the platform.

•••
I want to warn all fellow domainers that winning an auction in SAV, does not always mean that you do get the domain.
Two different times this month I won a domain. Everything was normal, they changed me and I received the winning email, but i didn’t got the domain.
Of course I contacted support and two days later they informed me that the domain is not in SAV anymore.
The didn’t even bother to apologize!

“This domain is no longer at Sav and in Sav's seller's account. We have refunded you for your winning bid. “

@Nick R

What does it means “the domain is no longer in sav.”?
Why and how a domain, that was auctioned, left SAV?
Why it did not automatically transferred in my account?
Maybe because I won it for a low price?

Attachments

• B59F03C8-3A86-4582-B651-F69C9323D294.png
    B59F03C8-3A86-4582-B651-F69C9323D294.png
    500 KB · Views: 64
  • A8A300BE-D866-4C0B-A2AE-F3D6F641A813.png
    A8A300BE-D866-4C0B-A2AE-F3D6F641A813.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 71
•••
I want to warn all fellow domainers that winning an auction in SAV, does not always mean that you do get the domain.
Two different times this month I won a domain. Everything was normal, they changed me and I received the winning email, but i didn’t got the domain.
Of course I contacted support and two days later they informed me that the domain is not in SAV anymore.

“This domain is no longer at Sav and in Sav's seller's account. We have refunded you for your winning bid. “

@Nick R

Let me have our devs take a look at why this seller was able to transfer the domain out. When a domain is in an auction it should be locked so the domain can not be transferred out. My apologies about this.

•••
I've deleted my original post - got your ticket reply.

Mumbo Jumbo about holding funds to safe guard the integrity of the auction process - what a load of Horse manure.....

Totally unjustifiable as far as I'm concerned - The domain in question will go higher than my proxy bid and I will not be bidding higher, someone else can have it and I will not be using your services again.......

Last edited:
•••
Suggestion:
Make the domains that are for sale with SAV.com lander with a BIN to be searchable on your registration and auctions page.

•••
I'm looking at .io sales by Sav at namebio.
I wondered why we can still backorder those domains at other websites (docky, park.io, dynadot) if they have already been sold/auctioned at Sav? For example, accurate.io, sofia.io, cloudwise.io...
I'm confused.

•••

@Nick R

@Nick R
Any news about the issue?

•••
•••
Also lately I have noticed in many particular auctions systematically the high bidder doesn't pay, and the auctions restarts. Some examples are fed.xyz, inc.xyz, vjx.xyz, fjord.io and many more 3L .xyz and .io, that have been in auction for more than 5 consecutive times. Most of the times the bids are much higher than the true market value of the domain. So apparently someone bids his own domains to the point that there will be a satisfying offer from someone else, and of course he doesn't pay...
And my question is: Don't you use pre-authorized charges? How can this happen? Don't you keep these money afterwards?
Also are you aware that when someone bids an X amount of money (that you pre-authorized charge) and then puts another higher proxy bid in the same domain these funds are released?
For example if I bid in a random domain for $1000(that you pre-authorized charge), and just after I bid again for any amount from $1001 to $2999, you instantly release all my funds.

Also I wanted to ask:
1. Is there any timeline about the connection between the available money and the purchases?
2. The download auctions function works?

Thank you

•••
Also lately I have noticed in many particular auctions systematically the high bidder doesn't pay, and the auctions restarts. Some examples are fed.xyz, inc.xyz, vjx.xyz, fjord.io and many more 3L .xyz and .io, that have been in auction for more than 5 consecutive times. Most of the times the bids are much higher than the true market value of the domain. So apparently someone bids his own domains to the point that there will be a satisfying offer from someone else, and of course he doesn't pay...
And my question is: Don't you use pre-authorized charges? How can this happen? Don't you keep these money afterwards?
Also are you aware that when someone bids an X amount of money (that you pre-authorized charge) and then puts another higher proxy bid in the same domain these funds are released?
For example if I bid in a random domain for $1000(that you pre-authorized charge), and just after I bid again for any amount from $1001 to $2999, you instantly release all my funds.

Also I wanted to ask:
1. Is there any timeline about the connection between the available money and the purchases?
2. The download auctions function works?

Thank you
Not all bidders are pre-authed. Here is how it works: https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/...-pre-authorizations-after-bidding-on-auctions

Using funds to purchase domains - We are actively working on expanding our payment offering, including this. I don't have an ETA at the moment.

Auction Downloads - This is expected to go live next Tuesday afternoon.

•••
Not all bidders are pre-authed. Here is how it works: https://help.sav.com/kb/en/article/...-pre-authorizations-after-bidding-on-auctions

Using funds to purchase domains - We are actively working on expanding our payment offering, including this. I don't have an ETA at the moment.

Auction Downloads - This is expected to go live next Tuesday afternoon.
I know how it works and that not all bidders are pre-authed.
But what is the penalty when someone doesn't pay the auction?
Because it happens very often.

•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
Let me have our devs take a look at why this seller was able to transfer the domain out. When a domain is in an auction it should be locked so the domain can not be transferred out. My apologies about this.
The problem isn't fixed yet... I lost 2 more domains today. To be exact I did not received 2 domains that I won in the auction.

Quoting SAVs help Center:
"Unfortunately we cannot give you these domains because they have been deleted while in auction. We have sent a refund for those domains which should appear in your account shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience!"

•••
I feel total idiot plz deidiotize me..
I exchange like 20 emails with sav.. I have domain i owned few years.. which I transferred to sav on may 28.. i thought it's under lock for.60 days.. for all names..sav insists not... but when.i try transfer elsewhere they say it is.. and it's a registry lock.. whois shows.it ok to.tranafer but if registry lock then it still could apply despite whois...?

•••
Auctions For domains that isn't registered with SAV.com:
Ask the sellers to submit the authorization code before auction listing is approved. Just like how Epik does with their liquidation site.

•••
I fully agree with you. They should ban any account don't deliver the domain.
Also require a minimum spend (like $10) for an account, to be allowed to auction a domain from another registrant.

Just to clarify that I m talking about auctions for domains registered in SAV.
The let the owner transfer out the domain, while it is participating in the auction!

Last edited:
•••
Train the customer service reps. If they don’t know then they should ask before answering customer questions. I asked why a domain I backordered didn’t go to auction or placed in my account. CSR said domain was renewed. This was couple of days ago. I decided to check the domain today and it’s in auction at Sav.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back