Dynadot

Sav Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick R

VIP Member
Sav.com Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros community! We are creating a single thread where we can share announcements in, talk about product updates, people can ask questions and host a great discussion on all things domains!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just haven't done it because I'm confused to what I should do instead haha
I've filled out W8-BENs on other companies and have been fine in doing so I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing
I am pretty sure from everything I have read, and from tax consultants here in Canada, that it should be W8-BEN. At first I was going to just fill out the 8233 they recommended but it seems the advice on that form shows it should not be filled out in this circumstance. As you point out other domain companies, and also other US companies paying in other fields, use W8-BEN.

The word "personal services" at first confused me on the 8233. I would have thought it meant personal services like having a personal life coach or personal therapist, but after reading more it does not mean that. Personal, as far as I can understand from what is written, means services offered "in person". So if I went down to US and offered services in person that I am compensated for, then it would be the 8233 form. But if I never go to the US, and simply use the services of a US company to sell products on my behalf, my understanding is it should be the W8-BEN. It is logical that the two should have separate forms, as those who travel to US and compete in offering in -person services with US nationals is a rather different situation.

Note that I am not offering tax advice. Rather just offering a personal opinion based on how I interpret what I have read from tax advice in Canada for Canadians who get paid by US companies for similar things, and based on my direct experience with what other companies do.

I too have delayed withdrawing funds from Sav as I don't want to jeopardize things with other companies by filling out the wrong form, or get in trouble for filling out the wrong form.

I hope Sav will look into it in more detail, and either change their automated bot forcing people to go to the personal services form, or justify why that is the right choice and not the W8-BEN that seems the right form.

I did submit a ticket on this item. So far I just got a reply that the person replying could not answer and was forwarding it, and a link to US tax forms.

Bob

PS This is the wording from IRS and some examples re what personal services are. Admittedly the examples don't cover all cases. Note that wording I have bolded an independent contractor in the United States.
"Independent personal services are services performed as an independent contractor in the United States by a nonresident alien who is self-employed rather than an employee. Compensation for such services includes payments for contract labor; payments for professional services, such as fees to an attorney, physician, or accountant, if the payments are made directly to the person performing the services; consulting fees; and honoraria paid to visiting professors, teachers, researchers, scientists, and prominent speakers."
PPS I do realize that it will reasonably take some time for Sav to get advice and to potentially make changes if the advice recommends that. So I am not expecting a rapid resolution. For the time being, I am not going to fill in a form so not doing payout, as I want to be sure I am filling right form.

Last edited:
•••
You can see the prices from the domains main view on Sav. What columns you show is customizable (in terms of on or off, I don't think order, unfortunately). You may need to scroll right to make them show up. Below shows a bit. The Buy Now Price shows how I have the domain name listed on Sav Marketplace. If it is blanked, it means that domain name is not listed for sale. When you change prices, they get updated in this column.
Show attachment 217057
I agree a listing of just the ones for sale in their marketplace without having to look at all of your domain names, or export, would be handy. But at least in the domains main page the information is there.
Bob

There is nothing on main domains page. All filters are default i.e. they should show all domains but it doesn't show any.

1654268755802.png

1654268798382.png

•••
There is nothing on main domains page. All filters are default i.e. they should show all domains but it doesn't show any.
When in your domain view click the Edit Columns (icon near center top to left of search and sort icon - it looks like 5 dark rectangles and 5 light).
That lists many columns you can turn on.
Make sure that Buy It Now price is checked.
(they also have Buy It Now status but I just put price on)
Hope that helps.
Bob
EditColumnsSav.png

ColumnsOptionsSav.png

•••
When in your domain view click the Edit Columns (icon near center top to left of search and sort icon - it looks like 5 dark rectangles and 5 light).
That lists many columns you can turn on.
Make sure that Buy It Now price is checked.
(they also have Buy It Now status but I just put price on)
Hope that helps.
Bob
Show attachment 217060
Show attachment 217061

Buy Now option is already selected

1654269645344.png

And when I go to Marketplace then I can see it shows "2" under Buy Now Listings heading but these domains are nowhere to be found.

1654269724827.png

•••
Correct. They don't show in Marketplace.

As I indicated above, the Buy Now Price shows in the Sav main domains view, if you have selected it as an option as I indicated through your Edit Columns preferences.

I deleted the domain names column on left (to avoid publicly share), but below is a part of my Sav listings. The ones that show a Buy-It-Now price are listed for sale in Sav. Those with that column blank are not listed.

Depending what else you have ticked in columns, you may need to scroll right to see the buy it now column.

Bob

SavListings.png

Last edited:
•••
Agree with @Bob Hawkes.

@Sav.com has improved and I particuarly appreciate their good rates for registration and the backorder cost for .com and .net

Would be good if one day SAV could offer backorder service for .org
Good news! .org dropcatching is now live on the Sav site. Check it out here.

Last edited:
•••
Hey @Bob Hawkes - We would love to be able to help with what version of the form to fill out and know the process is a bit taxing. However, while we do have a lot of experience in domains, our international tax law expertise is a lacking a bit. There is a link at the bottom of the form that should help you chose the correct version of the form though. Both individual domain Afternic and Sedo FT settings and being able pay with your balance should be complete in the coming months.

@silentg - We don't have an official relationship with ExpiredDomains.net but we can reach out to see why they stopped showing the domains.

•••
You can also download a list of all domains listed for sale in the Marketplace here:

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 11.54.54 AM.png

•••
Hey @Bob Hawkes - We would love to be able to help with what version of the form to fill out and know the process is a bit taxing.
Right, I don't expect you to provide tax advice. Cute wording about taxing btw!

So can I fill in the W8-BEN that I feel pretty sure is right? When I try to fill it in online at Sav, it says near end of process I need to fill in a different form the 8233. I don't think that is right because I do not perform personal services in the sense IRS define it. Can I fill in a W8-BEN, sign it, and scan and email it to you (or mail if you require original), since your online system will not permit it?

I know of others with same question was why posted here.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Right, I don't expect you to provide tax advice. Cute wording about taxing btw!

So can I fill in the W8-BEN that I feel pretty sure is right? When I try to fill it in online at Sav, it says near end of process I need to fill in a different form the 8233. I don't think that is right because I do not perform personal services in the sense IRS define it. Can I fill in a W8-BEN, sign it, and scan and email it to you (or mail if you require original), since your online system will not permit it?

I know of others with same question was why posted here.

Bob
If you can submit a support ticket with the details, we can escalate it to Tipalti, our payout processor, and get their recommendations. Just DM me the ticket subject and ill keep track of it.

•••
Both individual domain Afternic and Sedo FT settings and being able pay with your balance should be complete in the coming months.
This is really welcome news - look forward to it.
Thanks for bringing an innovative, competitive service to the domain community.
Bob

•••
Contacted Sav support and they said that My Domains section is only for domains that were purchased from them. Domains not at Sav and are added in Marketplace can only be viewed by downloading CSV file.

•••
Just saw this new msg in that two-factor box in Sav...

"NOTICE: All codes are being temporarily sent to your email even if you have SMS enabled. "

I received code in email and it worked...

Been checking all day...

Looks like they have some problem with automated SMS sending.
It's a week later since your posting. Are you still having the problem?
Today was my first time using Sav, and the SMS 2-factor authentication isn't working right. Codes are instead being sent to email. Any fix planned on this, Sav?

Last edited:
•••
@LoveCatchyDomains - 2FA SMS codes were routed back to SMS earlier this week once we were positive all of them were going through properly again.

•••
Just a reminder to place your .ORG backorders at Sav!

•••
•••
Hello, very miss US and BIZ 0,99$. Would be super great to see them in nearest future as it was until recently for a long time.

•••
Bulk import is malfunctioning for many tlds

Untitled.png

•••
•••
•••
@Bob Hawkes Do you have any news about the tax forms?
Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
We don't have an official relationship with ExpiredDomains.net but we can reach out to see why they stopped showing the domains.
I was looking through ExpiredDomains and noticed that it had disappeared. See that you've already been informed. Did you receive any word back on what happened with that? Was there a recent update on how someone could export auction lists?

Last edited:
•••
@Nick R

Not sure if it was glitch or an intentional system restriction -
I added an .org domain into the backorder list.

However, the said domain was caught by SAV but not having a notification sent to me. I understand that if there is more than one user catching the domain - it would go into auction.

•••
@Nick R

Not sure if it was glitch or an intentional system restriction -
I added an .org domain into the backorder list.

However, the said domain was caught by SAV but not having a notification sent to me. I understand that if there is more than one user catching the domain - it would go into auction.
Sometimes the domains just went straight to other sav user's account without going to auction, I don't know why.

•••
Sometimes the domains just went straight to other sav user's account without going to auction, I don't know why.
Another pain point is it seems that it won't attempt getting a domain that is expiring (and one or more users have backordered it)

The machine seems to be only catching names that they want, without letting you know in advance?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back