IT.COM

Rick Schwartz went on a new gTLD buying frenzy !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

loupe

Established Member
Impact
I was just checking out thedomains blog of Michael who is also into the new gTLDs and saw his latest article about Rick. Looks like the new gTLDs are getting more and more traction with serious domainers entering the arena :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lets talk in 5 years to see if people know about them. Remember that tv show from back in the day when they were discussing the internet and the camera man had to explain to the hosts and guests what the internet was?

In 5 years there will likely be a doubling or more of these new tlds, do you expect the public to know and remember them all? I can agree that most people involved with daily life online will become aware of the existence of some new tlds in 5 years, but what difference will it make to a domain seller? Does the fact a New York city resident learns about .nyc help you sell a .ninja? Most folks here doing the new tlds for resale are fleas trying to guess which rat to ride to the promised land, but most will just stay in the sewer.

•••
•••
All the past threads about 'new' extensions (.co .mobi .eu .tel .asia etc) have sentences like "Lets talk in 5 years". Well time flies. It's been more than 5 years and now we can talk. But of course this time it's going to be different. Always.

•••
i get flower..but is ugly domain....what is flower.xyz ? - is a hydra

•••
So why doesn't everyone make full predictions like I did? break it down boys!

•••
OK, SORRY ABOUT FLOWE.XYZ.////some problems here.....$%%^@%^@^%@^%

•••
All the past threads about 'new' extensions (.co .mobi .eu .tel .asia etc) have sentences like "Lets talk in 5 years". Well time flies. It's been more than 5 years and now we can talk. But of course this time it's going to be different. Always.
TBH I was one of those saying that in regards to .mobi, in that timeframe the landscape completely changed, even moreso in the 5-10 year window. Fact is that there will be opportunity in these new tlds, still even in mobi, but folks need to stay realistic in their assessments and expectations.

•••
So why doesn't everyone make full predictions like I did? break it down boys!

I predict more people will lose money than profit registering new tlds over the next 5 years...a lot more... especially with some of those reg fees.

•••
I predict more people will lose money than profit registering new tlds over the next 5 years...a lot more... especially with some of those reg fees.

ok what about .org, .xxx, .cctlds, .biz, .com, various .com name types, ."whatever in chinese", sub domains, etc. Where are the pros predictions? I made many predictions and can give my rational so lets see yours.

What are your thoughts regarding future internet use and the growth of the internet in developing countries, how do you see the average joe using the internet in 15 years, will voice be used more?

And the big one i want to see the pros break down is why will .com be the only viable business extension going forward?

Let's do this!

•••
•••
ok what about .org, .xxx, .cctlds, .biz, .com, various .com name types, ."whatever in chinese", sub domains, etc. Where are the pros predictions? I made many predictions and can give my rational so lets see yours.

What are your thoughts regarding future internet use and the growth of the internet in developing countries, how do you see the average joe using the internet in 15 years, will voice be used more?

And the big one i want to see the pros break down is why will .com be the only viable business extension going forward?

Let's do this!

That's the thing, I don't pretend to be a pro, nor have I played one on TV. I'm just a guy who has won some and lost some in domain trading, and more interested in revenue from websites. I don't at all think .com is the only viable business extension, but it really depends on the type of business, geography, etc. a business focused on local services in new york city may do fine with .nyc, me not so much. But com has a huge head start, and anyone thinking there will be some mass exodus of com websites using new tlds is experiencing a wet dream and needs to wake up. As for selling domains to these new businesses, the basic question they will be asking for many years to come is do I go with com or something else? That something else category just got ginormous and you are competing with at least hundreds of com alternatives for the attention and mindshare of potential buyers. Plumber.xyz, plumber.nyc, plumber.company...the list goes on. That will keep downward pressure on the pricing. Some folks will get lucky along the way, but trying to establish a cogent longterm strategy reading the tea leaves of future public opinion in the face of thousands of new tlds as to what may take off is a joke. For me I'm sitting out the new stuff to see what floats, the money I save from not losing on bad guesses will more than offset future higher acquisition costs.

•••
•••
Growth of Internet use does not mean that the demand for domains is going to increase as much. When you think about it, the people who own domain names are a minority even in the developed countries. Most of the time, people don't need their own domain name unless they run a business. For personal use, free E-mail and free blogging platform is the norm.
Even domainers use gmail... :(

However, there is a global shortage of IPv4 addresses due to the increasing number of connected devices, but that's a totally different issue. But this one is real. On the other hand there is no shortage of domain names or TLDs.

Sure, the number of registrations will continue to grow but it's not like the volume is going to increase ten-fold in the next few years. The demand is not that big. Domainers have wild expectations, but should study the numbers more.

No it's not just about .com, but as I have said so many times, the ccTLDs. If you to make sales (we are domainers right) look at the reported sales and figure out which TLDs are sought after.

There is little room for new gTLDs between .com and ccTLDs. Especially in the countries that have a strong national extension. End users are interested in securing a domain in their extension and/or .com. There is hardly any interest for vanity domains.
Had there been more extensions back in 1994 things could have been different, and the Internet of today would be more diverse.

The best is always to look at real-world usage. Right now, new extensions are not mainstream, there is not even a noticeable trend of end users starting to embrace them. Lots of hype but where is the action :)

That's going to be difficult as it's like convincing the Flat Earth Society the earth is not flat ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth#Flat_Earth_Society
Thanks for the memories. I seem to remember that I was called a flatlander on NP a few years ago (along with a group of people). I was bashing the .tel TLD for what it is, and will never be.

Last edited:
•••
Looking at these new gTLDs from a statistical viewpoint, five years might be too long a time period. The way that most of these new gTLDs have a compressed Sunrise/Landrush phase could mean that what would be five years in a normal TLD launch could be as little as one (perhaps two) renewal cycle for a new gTLD.

A lot of domainers seem to be missing the fact that after the initial Landrush spike of new domains, the daily/monthly growth slows down dramatically. In a typical large market TLD, the Landrush phase ends after about six months and then the growth in the TLD becomes more stable. This six months is become compressed into days or weeks with many new gTLDs. Some of this could be down to the fact that registries are plundering their own new gTLDs and are, in effect, getting high on their own supply. This means that there is less opportunity for domainers. Without those domainers driving interest, there are fewer registrations.

The other aspect is market awareness. Mention .CO to someone outside the domain business and they will think that you mean .COM. Mention a new gTLD (other than a city gTLD) to an ordinary person and you might just get a blank stare. The market is too focused on ccTLD/com. These new gTLDs are just a novelty registration at the moment rather than a "must register". Beyond the US and Canada, the new gTLDs (other than .BERLIN) don't really have significant country level market shares.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Comments like this won't make your investments in new tlds any more successful.

I couldn't resist :) But how i invest is up to me, i take the risk not you. To me you're just some dude at the shore shouting to guys how they should steer their ship lol

•••
some dude at the shore shouting to guys how they should steer their ship lol
Unfortunately some of the investors in new gTLDs are shouting at lighthouses to get out of the way of their ships. :)

Regards...jmcc

•••
Unfortunately some of the investors in new gTLDs are shouting at lighthouses to get out of the way of their ships. :)

Regards...jmcc

Maybe their ships can fly ?! :) Anyway, we'll see in a few years, i keep it at 5-10 years before i draw a conclusion.

•••
So, .xyz looks like it did 31,119 the first 24 hours.

First day is 18,384 - http://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

Since it launches sometime in the afternoon, first day is more like half a day.

Think .club did more actually, 26,000 first day, remember posting about it. - https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...se-and-discussion.817267/page-12#post-4642081

Think .co did 60,000 first day? 300,000 first week

Was reading some people posting about some unusual numbers at Netsol, then somebody said they got an xyz free for their .com:

"netsol users got an email from Netsol offering a complementary .xyz for their .com FREE for 1 year"

more to that:
“.i will explain how it was possible. i recently got the email from Netsol offering me a complementary .xyz for my so-so .com free for 1 year. and in order to decline such an offer i had to visit a link and click decline, otherwise the domain would be mine automatically."

That can't be right can it?

Blog on it:
http://www.thedomains.com/2014/06/03/did-networksolutions-com-give-away-free-xyz-domain-names/

Not sure if that's true, tried going thru some old emails, couldn't find it.

Next few days will give a better picture.

Last edited:
•••
I couldn't resist :) But how i invest is up to me, i take the risk not you. To me you're just some dude at the shore shouting to guys how they should steer their ship lol

To paraphrase a famous movie line: "Frankly I don't give a damn". What you do with your money and domains is your business, this is a discussion forum and I'm offering my opinion.

•••
this means new gtlds are a great investment!

i think it means this guy has too much money, and can blow money and take chances.

He probably buys a crap load of outfits for his cats too.

•••
To paraphrase a famous movie line: "Frankly I don't give a damn". What you do with your money and domains is your business, this is a discussion forum and I'm offering my opinion.

Well for some one not giving a damn you sure are active in the new gTLD section of this forum. Trying to convince, scream, shout, beg, spank people to not buy into the new gTLD's :) I mean, it's really heartwarming buddy <sniff sniff cough> All this care for fellow domainers, man, i wish the rest of the world was like you !

•••
Well for some one not giving a damn you sure are active in the new gTLD section of this forum. Trying to convince, scream, shout, beg, spank people to not buy into the new gTLD's :) I mean, it's really heartwarming buddy <sniff sniff cough> All this care for fellow domainers, man, i wish the rest of the world was like you !

There's a lot of shades of grey between fanboy and hater, I don't fall into either camp.

•••
has rick expanded on his reasoning yet, other than calling everyone else f**kers??

•••
has rick expanded on his reasoning yet, other than calling everyone else f**kers??

I'm guessing they were mainly defensive regs.

•••
I'm guessing they were mostly at his own tlds.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back