IT.COM

Reviews, ideas, and advice are appreciated

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

inzo

Established Member
Impact
Firstinspire.com

have been working on this site for almost a year now. Suggestions and reviews as to how diverse(in terms of content) the website can go and any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

on "first glance", adjacent to the FI logo, there is nothing in that space but a spyglass image

to me, in that area, there should be some content that defines what firstinspire.com is all about.

imo....

•••
It is very slow..
Ok, I don't see the main idea of this blog/site.
If your focus is on motivation, then add to the homepage not quotes, but questions..
Something to catch the attention... something about the importance of motivation, procrastination etc..
I don't want to see the latest posts on the blog I have no idea is about..
So why the 1st thing I see is your latest posts list?

•••
I agree with you. Unlikely to get on page one and therefore gain enough traffic to make enough revenue. Highly likely to get bored and quit. Hope I'm wrong though. It's nice to see a half decent web site for once. Most of what's wrong on @inzo's site is easily fixable in 24 hours. Maybe he or she is playing video games and chilling.
Maybe he is searching for inspiration..
I also have a bunch of sites in development and sometimes I need 1 year or more to get started..
But that's why all my sites focused on my hobby and not on just trendy something..
If the idea is to make a trendy site, I do it within 24 hours...

Last edited:
•••
I am on topic and insist there is no any design on the OP site
I am not planning my website to look like decorated art or a Christmas party. I like it clean and simple as long as it gets me traffic I'm good with that. I'm getting enough impressions on the existing design. And again my question was never about design. You are not sticking to my question.

If it was about design I would have posted here https://www.namepros.com/forums/web-design-reviews.48/

•••
Disagree. Saving file size is the key to a fast loading website. O-p- web site loads in four seconds on mobile. Saving one second even that will make a massive difference to visitors.
true, even 1 sec brings in more traffic and ranks better. One of those Google Algo gimmicks that hadn't changed over years

Last edited:
•••
Hi

on "first glance", adjacent to the FI logo, there is nothing in that space but a spyglass image

to me, in that area, there should be some content that defines what firstinspire.com is all about.

imo....
It should be okay now. Updated it!. Thanks.

•••
Are you looking for a review or an appraisal @inzo? They are related but different. Review is more for your personal benefit as the owner and current / future developer. Appraisal is how much it's worth to sell on a web site for example Flippa. Happy to offer you focused feedback on either or both.

•••
Are you looking for a review or an appraisal @inzo? They are related but different. Review is more for your personal benefit as the owner and current / future developer. Appraisal is how much it's worth to sell on a web site for example Flippa. Happy to offer you focused feedback on either or both.
I was looking for a review. :)

•••
I'm working on the template for these reviews. I like the simplicity of your site and the fact it loads so fast on desktop and mobile. Good quality of incoming links ( imdb.com wikiquote.org, fandom.com ). You can improve the S.E.O. meta data and get all those rankings from page two and three to page one. I would say within one or two months. I'm very impressed with your use of simple black and white images with quotes and your web site address overlayed. This is very good for image S.E.O. Are you tracking keywords? You should be relentlessly attacking the main ones ( see S.E.O. recommendations below ) but as an example " bruce lee quotes " attracts 27000 searches monthly and your web site is position 28 on G. You need to improve this. Overall well done. Keep up the good work.

Some stats
S.E.O. recommendations
  1. Meta titles too short or missing ( Wordpress > Yoast > Search Appearance > Categories / Pages / Posts )
  2. Meta descriptions too short or missing ( same as above )
  3. Set up a keyword tracker with your top 100 target keywords ( winnie the pooh quotes 74000, maya angelou quotes 74000, martin luther king jr quotes 60500, dr seuss quotes 49500, and so on and so forth )
Timesaving tip! You can use your Yoast plug-in on Wordpress to do your meta titles and descriptions. You don't need to do it manually any more for each page. Just say if you need help to do this or go on Yoast site ( many videos ) https://yoast.com/help/configuration-guide-for-yoast-seo/#taxonomies.

Last edited:
•••
@redemo Thanks for the review. Yes, I'm planning to keep the website simple and clean. Am no longer using Yoast, and no matter what tool I use for SEO or for the Meta tags. sometimes it gets picked Randomly by Google based on the content. I do keep track of keywords but some of the top keywords are highly competitive. So trying on low competitive keywords and then work uphill.

•••
How you can be impressed with all these boring images which inspire anything but depression?
This is completely up to the person and their perception, If you are depressed then probably it is just for you.

Every Website has a high bounce rate based on visits, but it isn't visits that just matters, there are impressions too.

Lol, this isn't my first website. This is my first website on this niche.
The quote area design is not good, too heavy, too many borders, and too many shadow effects..
There are not too many borders, too many shadow effects, it's just one border, one shadow effect.
All these inspiration quotes on the front page look like a bunch of something because of the same white background..
As said the works are yet to be finished lol, I barely have 300 pages. This isn't a Finished product. Which means it has loads of work to do.

There are so many things you can't focus on and are not sure what to look at? - well, I'm pretty sure, many others can.

What he gave was a technical review of the website and his view on how it works. LOL, Clearly he did not get into CSS and Design aspects whatsoever.

Last edited:
•••
He asks for a review... I gave my review as a potential visitor..
Even if I get this site in search results, I will leave it in less than 10 seconds..

•••
Now re-imagine yourself as a visitor looking for Bruce Lee quotations. Are you satisfied?
How I can be satisfied if I even dont get this site in results?
I could understand if after all his great work, he could show at least 1 of these 2 results:

1. Visual site design that could attract, be user-friendly, intuitive etc...
2. The 1st page in search results...

I don't see any os these 2 results

•••
I am chilled. Just don't like people taking the p1ss. How much time have you spent studying your competitors? brainyquote.com, goalcast.com, goodreads.com, inspiringquotes.us? When you get on page one I'll consider listening to your chucklesome interjections. Until then sort out your S.E.O. son.
Okay being quiet doesn't work it seems, I understand you are an SEO genius, I do have a few more websites that have better rankings and get at least a million visitors a month. Now, this is fairly a new website I work on when I get time so there is a lack of content, understood!!. As said I did not ask about SEO either. AS per O.P's question was all about how diverse the content can get. Not about SEO. Goalcast, Brainyquote, Goodreads(FFS) are not fairly new websites and owned by corporations I mean Goodread seriously? They have been there for ages and they don't rank high for everything and they aren't my top competitors. May be one among 1000's websites that rank for quotes. I didn't want my website to rank only for quotes, that is exactly why I had a question about diversity.

Last edited:
•••
Oops. I missed this post in all the furore. Why aren't you using Yoast plug-in? Is there a better one? Please share. Cheers. Also you are ranked 28 for Bruce Lee quotes. Let me let you in on advanced S.E.O. for Google image search. Your image file structure is probably the worst file name I have ever come across. Not optimised for S.E.O. in the slightest. You should not be using date-arranged file names. Where are the keywords? bruce-lee-quote-the-more-we-value-things-the-less-we-value-ourselves.jpeg is an optimised file name. Now get to work!
I appreciate the SEO concerns, Yes, it isn't optimized.

•••
I'm not an S.E.O. genius. Just understand that G has an algorithm with simple rules. If you don't follow the rules then don't expect rewards.
I'm just sticking to my question about content and diversity. I haven't been working a lot on SEO or Design. Google's algorithm is sometimes a pain in the arse as well. That is is why I'm looking for content.

•••
I am hopelessly in love with G's algo changes, which are deployed to ward off the evil forces of Darth Vader and The Joker. Everyone complains it's all G's fault. But the simple thing to do is go with the flow and surrender yourself to the eternal hypnosis of the algorithm.
seriously?
then explain to me why after the last google updates, every night at 3:00 (GMT+2) I get at least 50-60 visitors on my news site always from the same place - Boardman town in Oregon... the town with just 3300 habitants... and every day (according to their time zone) 50-60 of them visit my site, different pages but always 50-60 people together at the same time, everyday ritual...
google wisely algorithm?

Last edited:
•••
What problem are you trying to solve? Maybe you are trying to branch out too far with this site and should instead split it up into multiple web sites? What is your pillar content if not quotes?
I'm planning on keeping it to inspiration as the name states, all I would think about is quotes at that point but I'm planning on more than quotes like stories, etc. there are a few on my mind. The initial intention was to bring inspiration (inventions and stories behind them). But went with quotes for now.

•••
You must have a fan club in Boardman, Oregon. Could be the ghost of Samuel H. Boardman is spooking you. Just follow the algorithm rules and you will both be fine.
I never read google rules and suggestions and I have traffic..

•••
•••
•••
btw, i even have traffic on my site which you criticized a few months ago..
just 2 daily visits but they come from google, duckduckgo, and yahoo..
and it is just after a week since I started to add content..
not original content, btw.. and only 45 posts in total..
the same was with my other sites..

•••
and adding a few color to your site, would be not bad idea... it is too boring
That is called simple design, or minimalistic design. my color schemes are black, white, and maybe blue. I plan on sticking to it thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Couple of ideas. Have you considered making the text links blue instead of black? Might get more clicks. Also the bottom ad. Have you considered making it sticky? Not intrusive and might attract more clicks.
The ads are auto displayed. Can make it less intrusive.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back