NameSilo

[Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by Silentptnr, Mar 5, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Why would the seller go thru this identity crisis, if they were going to sell the domain for $19K, and go thru escrow, and verify the proper id's? They could have gotten about $50K for this domain 2 years back during the Chinese hype run, why take $19K today, then cry foul?

The trend we have seen is to steal the domain, maybe photoshop the verification, and push, and run.

Then you have the runner disappear, and the buyer, and the person who it was stolen from fight it out in he said/she said.

Probably what has happend here, hot potato, given the value of the domain it is not simply a walk away situation.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It would also be interesting to find out _whom_ did escrowcom "verify" with their famous KYC as a seller? A company listed in whois? Or somebody else with a fake ID (and, if so, did they bother to check domain whois)?

3. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Escrow doesn’t “verify” anyone per se as far as verifying what they have to sell or not sell. It merely sets up a transaction, verifies funds and then releases the funds once buyer acknowledges receipt and acceptance of goods.

Escrows steps in to mediate a dispute only in the event of one and pretty much only prior to escrow’s closing. Once closed there are things in real world escrows such as title insurance that may come into play but with an internet transaction escrow is off the hook once buyer gives the okay to release funds to seller.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. tonyk2000

I meant this :

5. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

Well yes, but as you know, that just means that the guy's identity has been verified, which I suppose does (or can assuming he didn't somehow slide by with a faked identity (just like you alluded)) mean something, but doesn't mean he has legitimate title to the domain.

In this case the dispute is over title...obviously the seller had possession of the domain because he transferred it. But title? We don't know.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. tldboss

tldboss Active Member VIP

You say almost stolen, yet contact details changed y'day matching what James said (he owned the name for sometime, name was given back to previous owner, now back with him since March 6, 2018)

Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

Created: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 | Expires: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 | Updated: Tuesday, March 6, 2018

@spoiltrider
    I have sent an email to the yahoo email address from whois, please reply?
    It's easy for anyone to open an np account & make accusations

If you don't want to reply to my email thus fine, maybe mods can help verify your identity @Eric Lyon

7. London555

London555 Active Member VIP

Hopefully you'll get it back but in the future would you suggest using an attorney - escrow the money and than and only then when it's in your GD account release the funds? Good luck

8. creataweb

creataweb Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

He got the name back.

9. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Established Member

Maybe we'll have to be selling names face to face now! ..... bring the cash and I'll bring the domain ... to Starbucks!

10. Giode

Giode Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I've been buying high value url's since 2007, and this has never happened to me. You know why? Because I don't buy stolen domains.

11. spoiltrider

spoiltrider Established Member

JAMES BOOTH - YOU PURCHASED A STOLEN DOMAIN cqd.com has always been my domain.
    I AM TAKING LEGAL ACTION
    AND I WILL FILE REPORTS ON THE INTERNET AND SMEAR YOUR NAME if you don not back off and return my domain to me. YOU ARE DEALING WITH STOLEN PERSONAL PROPERTY. i never authorized this sale! you have shut my business down with all this. i am going to sue everyone involved in this.

12. spoiltrider

CQD.COM IS STOLEN PERSONAL PROPERTY!

13. spoiltrider

WHO DOES THIS? i am filing reports that google will place in the number one position of what you have done and the damages created from your procurement of my stolen personal property. CQD.COM WAS STOLEN FROM IT'S RIGHTFUL OWNER! LEGAL ACTION IS COMMENCING.

14. spoiltrider

YES SOMEONE ELSE PRETENDED TO ME AND STOLE MY DOMAIN! i was never "KYC verified" there is not blue ink signature of mine on this transaction. James Booth never contacted me! I WAS NEVER CONTACTED. BUT I HAVE PROOF OF MY DOMAIN EMAIL BEING HACKED. LEGAL ACTION IS BEING TAKEN ON MY DOMAIN CQD.COM i am the victim!

15. tonyk2000

Even though the domain in question indeed might be stolen, the technical question remains: Is a domain name property? Just for the sake of clarity. I heard that different courts were of different opinions. Some courts said it is just a contractual right, or, at least, domains are not "goods". So applicable laws may be different. Maybe @jberryhill can clarify this ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  16. creataweb

So this is what I am guessing happened now:

Someone hijacked the name from you (the original owner)
    Then posted for sale somewhere & completed the deal with a fake ID on Escrow
    NetSol got a complaint from you
    NetSol clawed the name back
    Buyer sent lawyers after NetSol
    NetSol gave name back to buyer
    Original Owner (you) are out a domain
    Seller still has the $26k
    Buyer has domain

17. spoiltrider

CQD.COM is STOLEN PERONSONAL PROPRTY. Legal action is commencing and i am going after the 7 parties involved in this personal property theft.

18. spoiltrider

Seller is who? i created this domain for my business 22 years ago. my web site and emails were all up and running. the SELLER is not me, the RIGHTFUL OWNER OF CQD.COM!

19. creataweb

Seller = Whoever stole the domain

20. spoiltrider

"someone" cashed a check and showed and ID to do it...in California. a guy.
    i'm a girl, in FL out my domain. out my business presence. out of patience. I NEVER GOT A PENNY BECAUSE I DID NOT SELL MY DOMAIN! i just want my domain back. avoid all the legal fees that will be associated with this battle i will push through. i will work the rest of my life to prove this is my domain to get it back, and james booth purchased and is now dealing in stolen personal property.

21. Addison

Addison Active Member VIP

Escrow.com KYC failure? Enormous story. @equity78 @EJS @Acroplex @Domain Shane

22. tonyk2000

As a curiosity, I performed a few basic searches and had no issues confirming that there indeed exists an operating business called ComQuest Designs (CQD) owned/operated by one Rebecca and/or one Joe, in the state of Florida, for many years. If I was purchasing something owned by them - I would have no issues finding their actual contact details just to confirm that they are actually selling it.

The buyer says he performed these checks. Member @spoiltrider is of different opinion. Something is wrong here. In any case, one would expect that any reputable escrow company will voluntary perform similar checks for any 5-6 figures transaction before giving OK to transfer the domain and release the funds. Did this happen? We do not know.

23. Dave

Dave Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

What they have achieved is inspiring and fantastic.

I once sent a cheeky offer for that lovely f***f*** / com domain name. Got to try our luck sometimes. :)

24. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

It's probably already been resold

This will be an interesting case for sure, just for case law.

Given this domain is tied to an operating business, will further complicate matters. Right now it looks like all parties involved will be losers in legal fees here, which will exceed the cost of the domain. I can understand the original owners desire to reclaim a domain they have owned for 22 years at all cost. Hopefully escrow has some kind of insurance for this, and they can give the buyer back their funds, and give the original owner back their domain.

Each party will end up spending more than $10K each in legal fees.

Escrow in CA, Owner in FL, Buyer somewhere overseas.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  25. Josh R

Josh R Owner of BrandConsultants.com & TheDomainBlog.com PRO VIP

Just when you think everything has been solved... What drama.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!