IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm trying to imagine what my next move would be. I've realized that I have 26k floating somewhere out there, and the domain I bought has been taken by a registrar with a bad reputation.

I've got a papertrail, but what to do now?

Makes me ill just thinking of how you must feel James.

Maybe we should try putting ourselves in his shoes and think of what should be done now? What could be the next move?

Probably the brainstorming can give out some genius ideas (not that he needs them) on how to proceed and more importantly can help us figuring out what to do in these kind of situations.

Peace.

Last edited:
•••
I would probably be all over NetworkSolutions. They seem to be at fault for not reaching out and instead allowing an employee to simply move the domain. People are spending thousands of dollars and a support level employee has the power to just move a valuable domain?

Thing about digital goods is that you can't just drive over to a location and make a stink, you are somewhat confined to digital communication.

•••
I would probably be all over NetworkSolutions. They seem to be at fault for not reaching out and instead allowing an employee to simply move the domain. People are spending thousands of dollars and a support level employee has the power to just move a valuable domain?

Thing about digital goods is that you can't just drive over to a location and make a stink, you are somewhat confined to digital communication.

they've been doing this for long time. they probably had countless compalints.. icann or what not. and yet here they are.. not only still in biz, but continuing to be shady and greedy.

sure makes one wonder how many incidents and reports it does take.. or how many people losing how much money.

as for next steps... well.. there isn't clear answer to this imo.. because 25k means different things to different people.. just cause everyone bank account is different. to some this will be not even worth bother cause they own millions in bank... to others, it will mean finding a bridge near you and jumping from it... to others still it will mean going after netsol or resposible parties not even for money but for honor.. cause they hate getting screwed in life. even for $1 at grocery store.

so you see.. differnet solutions for different people.. putting their shoes on does not always work

imo

cheers

•••
On the internet there is always this sort of risk. As a merchant it is akin to credit card chargebacks - where you’ve already shipped the good or provided the service and now the cardholder disputes the transaction.

In cases where the cardholder is playing games and merely trying to get away with not paying, I am an expert at winning the dispute. But when it’s actual fraud and some criminal used a stolen credit card without knowledge of the real cardholder and somehow got past my fraud screens (happens rarely to me - and only with sales of intangible goods such as services) there is really nothing you may do on card not present transactions to win the dispute.

Similarly here if this really was an out and out fraudulent transaction and the domain owner had no knowledge of it I’d cut right through the noise, make my complaint, but not spend too much time money or effort on it because it is a loser case.

Last edited:
•••
Some liken it to paying tax or the cost of learning. I wouldn't care too much about a dollar but I know many wealthy people and I do t know any that would just let someone walk away with that amount.

I guess it's like they say about expensive cars....if you buy one you better have a lot more money for when things go wrong.

Maybe there should be an optional insurance one can purchase for protection in case of problems. I would probably pay a couple hundred for complete coverage of 26k.

•••
Experienced??? LOL He should have a big sign on his forehead that says: NEWBIE ALERT hahahahahaha!

Now he will remember the 2018 for the rest of his life! in a BAD way of course...
This comment and the greed comment are not helpful and not representative of the community here at Namepros or the larger domaining community. Generally speaking the domain community is full of kind, intelligent, and helpful people. I don't know James personally but I don't think anyone deserves to be treated like that, imagine if it were you, or I, or any one of us this had happened to. I'm not sure why anyone would say something like this and I am certainly not perfect, but these kinds of comments have no place on a forum that is created to help each other. There are plenty of places and people trying to drag you down in the world let's keep this one focused on encouraging and helping each other to achieve great things.
I believe the point of this thread is to alert people that there may be a problem with this domain and to try and protect others from falling victim to something like this. Saying you were tricked or taken advantage of is not an easy thing to admit and it seems that doing so was for the purpose of helping everyone else on here to not fall victim to a scam. Let's stay focused on why we are here.

•••
•••
I typed my last comment in a hurry. I hereby tender an apology to the entire namepros community/family. I do hope that you get this sorted out as soon as possible. Nobody deserve to lose their hard earned money via such means.

Apologies once again!

•••
I typed my last comment in a hurry. I hereby tender an apology to the entire namepros community/family. I do hope that you get this sorted out as soon as possible. Nobody deserve to lose their hard earned money via such means.

Apologies once again!

No worries buddy. Mistakes do happen. You were gracious enough to accept your mistake. So cheers!

•••
This comment and the greed comment are not helpful and not representative of the community here at Namepros or the larger domaining community. Generally speaking the domain community is full of kind, intelligent, and helpful people. I don't know James personally but I don't think anyone deserves to be treated like that, imagine if it were you, or I, or any one of us this had happened to. I'm not sure why anyone would say something like this and I am certainly not perfect, but these kinds of comments have no place on a forum that is created to help each other. There are plenty of places and people trying to drag you down in the world let's keep this one focused on encouraging and helping each other to achieve great things.
I believe the point of this thread is to alert people that there may be a problem with this domain and to try and protect others from falling victim to something like this. Saying you were tricked or taken advantage of is not an easy thing to admit and it seems that doing so was for the purpose of helping everyone else on here to not fall victim to a scam. Let's stay focused on why we are here.

Please don't take him seriously. He is obviously a troll. Some people have a constant need to put other people down to make themselves feel better.

•••
Please don't take him seriously. He is obviously a troll. Some people have a constant need to put other people down to make themselves feel better.

yes ignore singularities like this. they are not representation of majority. it is an abnormality and system malfunction.

•••
Experienced??? LOL He should have a big sign on his forehead that says: NEWBIE ALERT hahahahahaha!

Now he will remember the 2018 for the rest of his life! in a BAD way of course...
You should probably read up on @BoothDomains - It's not easy to achieve what both James and his brother have achieved. How many millions in sales have you done?... this year

•••
Hi All, Just wanted to inform you I got the domain back! I am extremely happy right now. I have no more words. Peace out

•••
Would love to know how this worked out ^

•••
Hi All, Just wanted to inform you I got the domain back! I am extremely happy right now. I have no more words. Peace out

Wonderful news!

But would like to know what happened. Is this another of those "jump the gun" threads when nothing at all like what was originally posted happened? Circumstances were not like what was originally thought? Nothing was stolen? etc. etc.

•••
I got my lawyers involved. They got me the name back.

•••
I am glad to know everything worked out for you.

•••

+1 this is extremely well worded.

•••
Wonderful news!

But would like to know what happened. Is this another of those "jump the gun" threads when nothing at all like what was originally posted happened? Circumstances were not like what was originally thought? Nothing was stolen? etc. etc.

Is this how you ask what happened? Accusing him of lying?

•••
Congratulations! I hope you transfer it immediately to a reputable registrar!

•••
Is this how you ask what happened? Accusing him of lying?

Hi newbie. You'd best get a grip before jumping the gun yourself. Re read what I wrote, and understand what was posed. The Op understood what I asked, and there was no accusation made of lying.

The underlying facts are still unknown though from what anyone, including the OP, has posted in this thread. As a lawyer myself, if the domain had indeed been stolen it would not have been returned just like that, even with a phone call. Perhaps the domain owner was in on the whole thing? Perhaps there was no theft? By no theft meaning - that the domain was not stolen from the domain owner.

Last edited:
•••
. I literally logged in to my Netsol account to do the transfer to GoDaddy and realized the name was gone.

I can only imagine how far and fast your stomach dropped when you realized it was gone! Not a good feeling! Glad you got it back!

•••
Sorry to hear about the loss. Hope you get your money back and lots of good sales to recover from this mess.

On another note, Karma will get to whoever that tried to scam you on this.

Good luck my friend!

•••
Sorry to hear about the loss. Hope you get your money back and lots of good sales to recover from this mess.

On another note, Karma will get to whoever that tried to scam you on this.

Good luck my friend!

Looks like he got the name back (y)

•••
how does something like this happen? If you just follow the marketplaces and escrows limits any sales over $5k or $10k require full verification of user and wire transfers to mitigate fraud. Not sure why someone would buy a names for over 10k and not use an escrow service.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back