IT.COM

new gtlds Renewals... Do Registrars have place to give better prices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Time has come to start renewing some new gTLD's.

I am wondering if the Registrars have room to offer better renewal prices? From what I see there is quite a difference between Registrars in registration prices. Not sure as far as renewals/transfers.

Any point in approaching the Registries?

How can I tell the cost of renewal or transfer to another Registrar which would obviously include renewal cost.
In some cases the domains are premium names and so its hard to figure the cost of renewal at other Registrars.

Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some maybe, I opened an epik account and they saw I had other names (not a huge amount) and they reached out to me and offered a lower renewal.

•••
Does each Registry set its renewal price and the registrars up it to what they want to charge?

How come there are different renewal prices for premium domains?

•••
Does each Registry set its renewal price and the registrars up it to what they want to charge?

The wholesale price is set by the registry then the registrar can charge whatever markup they want.

The same is true with .COM, where the wholesale price is currently $7.85. Some registrars charge under $10/year others charge $35+ a year.

Where the new gTLD are different is often the wholesale price is not known and often there are variable renewal fees in the same extension for what the registrar defines as premium terms.

How come there are different renewal prices for premium domains?

Because they can get away with it. It can make the process very confusing

Brad

•••
So I can basically approach the Registry directly and try to drag out of them the renewal whole sale price?

I thought Donuts and Rightside were taking down renewal rates of premium domains (??)

•••
Back