Dynadot

registrars Transfers vs. Renewals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rubencouto

DN FrontTop Member
Impact
Hello!

As a domain name expiring date aproaches is it ok to transfer it to another registrar? Do registrars allow this to be done indefinetly?

I ask this because in most cases the transfer price (to another registrar) is lower than the renewal prices. So instead of renewing a domain name could one just keep trnafering it around through diferent registrars? Is there a downside to this?

The transfer prices do include a year of registration without further costs, right? Do all registrars abide by this rule?

Best regards!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
No downside really. But some prefer to keep domains in GD - it is good for selling in auctions.

On the other hand, you can find nice registrars like NameSilo where renewals, just like registrations, are below $9, so that there is no need to move further.

•••
If you have all your names with GD, have you looked into their Discount Club

•••
If you have all your names with GD, have you looked into their Discount Club
Hello!

I have looked into their Discount Club, but I'm not sure it fits my strategy/budget.

On one hand, my strategy is trying to sell domains for a low price, as fast as I can, making sure they don't reach the renewal date. I will only pick very few of my domains to renew. For these few, I think I may find transfer fees (at other registrars) that are very close or even lower than the renewal prices of GD's Discount Club. Am I right?
On the other hand, being a member of the Discount Club is an added cost of $119,88 per year. And this amount would allow me to transfer a few domains to another registrar... :)

•••
Hello!

I have looked into their Discount Club, but I'm not sure it fits my strategy/budget.

On one hand, my strategy is trying to sell domains for a low price, as fast as I can, making sure they don't reach the renewal date. I will only pick very few of my domains to renew. For these few, I think I may find transfer fees (at other registrars) that are very close or even lower than the renewal prices of GD's Discount Club. Am I right?
On the other hand, being a member of the Discount Club is an added cost of $119,88 per year. And this amount would allow me to transfer a few domains to another registrar... :)

Hi, sounds like a good strategy. Yes, you are correct, in that some other registrars will transfer lower than the $8 renewal on the GDC which is +$119.88

One point to consider, if you are planning to sell to the industry, many, not all prefer a quick GD push, and having a GD account would help with a sale IMO. But this is not always the case as many domainers have multi-accounts.

•••
One point to consider, if you are planning to sell to the industry, many, not all prefer a quick GD push, and having a GD account would help with a sale IMO.
Good point!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back