Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nomen

Top Member
Impact
Opened up a Gandi.net account and there was the following question:

Reselling of your data? [ ] Yes [ x ] No

And then:

"Our contract with ICANN requires that we sell our WHOIS database to any party that requests it. However, you have the right to refuse the sending of your personal data in such an event. Only click on YES and proceed to the next form if you accept that your personal data may be sold." (Emphasis mine.)

Never seen that before. What does that exactly mean? Does 'WHOIS database' refer to WHOIS records of their customers or does it refer to WHOIS searches made with the registrar? Or both? Any idea what that kind of db would cost (out of curiosity)?

Haven't read much about ICANN regulations, rules, and such, but why would ICANN require registrars to sell their WHOIS databases in the first place?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy does this as well. Every time I register a $1 domain (with no whois privacy) I get emails from web development companies wanting me to hire them to build my site. I also receive USPS spam mail regarding the domains.

•••
I would trust any registrar who sells their whois database.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back