IT.COM

information Question: Can prepaid registration be forfeited?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Several years ago I lost a bit of money because I renewed some domains and then transferred them about 3 days later. In other words, the "losing" registrar got to keep my money, and the "winning" registrar didn't add 1 year to the domain's expire date -- so it stayed as if I hadn't paid the renewal at all. I complained about this, and was sent a quote from ICANN policy backing up their claim that renewals made before transfers ARE forfeited.

It's been a while, so this may have changed or I may not be remembering this accurately. I can't find the ICANN rule.

Has anyone experienced this, or have a copy of the renewal forfeit rule? I would like to know the precise rules on this, since I (and everyone else) is evacuating eNom as quickly as possible, and I still have money on the books there.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's my understanding this is still in place. Because, I'm sure in the last year. I have done exactly the same thing with the same result. But I'm not sure of the exact rule, like how long after renewal is it before your transfer adds 1 year to the registration. So I'd be interested to know this as well.

•••
Let me give an example since my description was a little confusing:

I own DOMAIN.COM and EXPIRES 08/01/2018.

On 5/1/2018 I pay the annual fee to extend renewal 1 year, and verify it has been changed to EXPIRES 08/01/2019.

On 5/4/2018 I transfer to a new registrar, paying them the usual transfer fee and expecting the domain's registration to be changed to 08/01/2020.

After the transfer, I look up my domain, and it still says EXPIRES 08/01/2019.

That's when I contacted both registrars, and learned that my renewal money was "forfeited by transfer".

======

I would like to know how many days in advance I can renew and transfer without forfeiture.

•••
•••
Might as well wait 45-60 days then transfer out after a renewal.

•••
Here is an old advisory from Icann, which I understand is still applicable and explains the relevant rules:
Registrar Advisory Concerning Registration Transfers Within the Auto-Renew Grace Period
Yep, that might be it. So the answer is to make sure you never renew later than 45 days before expiration if you are going to transfer.

"In summary, registrars should note (and advise their customers) that in most cases where a name is transferred within 45 days after its expiration/renewal date, the successfully transferred registration will only be extended by one year, not two years as might be expected. In such cases, the transfer during the Auto-Renew Grace Period simultaneously triggers a removal of the auto-renewed year and a credit to the losing registrar, and a charge to the gaining registrar for the year added to the registration term as a result of the transfer."

This is what they used to burn me with a few years ago.

THANKS for finding this!

Last edited:
•••
Also, there is another (less common) circumstance when an extra year would not be added to the registration term: when the resulting expiration date would be more than 10 years in the future. So if you have a domain that expires in 2028 and transfer it to another registrar today, you will not get an extra year.

This is for most gTLDs. Some ccTLDs can be renewed for 5 years max, others will allow 10 years, a few 20 years or even more...

•••
implant in you mind this phrase

"Midstream Moves"

in the midway portion of the domains current yearly renewal term - most likely the safest move outcome...

•••
@WebInceptions - Is your example actual dates? The 45 day rule should ONLY affect domains that were already expired and in Auto Renew Grace Period, not domains that you renewed well in advance of expiration, then wanted to transfer.

The actual enom answer does not make any sense at ALL, my best guess is that they mean for you to wait 46 days after you renew the domain : face palm :

https://help.enom.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001992351-Outgoing-Transfers-FAQ#renewed

8. I just renewed my domain, can I transfer it out?

If you recently renewed your domain, please wait 46 days after the month and date shown on the domain's expiry date. Otherwise, a year will not be added to the expiry date and the gaining registrar will still charge the transfer fee.

•••
@WebInceptions - Is your example actual dates? The 45 day rule should ONLY affect domains that were already expired and in Auto Renew Grace Period, not domains that you renewed well in advance of expiration, then wanted to transfer.

The actual enom answer does not make any sense at ALL, my best guess is that they mean for you to wait 46 days after you renew the domain : face palm :

https://help.enom.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001992351-Outgoing-Transfers-FAQ#renewed

8. I just renewed my domain, can I transfer it out?

If you recently renewed your domain, please wait 46 days after the month and date shown on the domain's expiry date. Otherwise, a year will not be added to the expiry date and the gaining registrar will still charge the transfer fee.

No, I was just setting up an example. I lost money to this a few years ago (at eNom), and after reading the ICANN stuff I suspect that I was early renewing domains 30 to 40 days out, which I used to do. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

•••
Lets start with a good news for you. You can ask for a refund from your losing registrar. they must refund it. Do it now.

Now come to the point. here is my full post about it :
https://www.namepros.com/threads/al...al-shocks-from-namesilo.1082385/#post-6727395

In short, the rule/advisory under question is still intact since 2002 :
https://www.icann.org/news/advisory-2002-06-06-en

But registrars are misusing it my knowingly misinterpreting to gain money.

How?

Well, for starters this rule prevents addition of 1 year only (only only and only) when your domain expires and enters grace period (technically called auto-renew period) before transfer.
You paid for renewal in advance, your domain (should have) renewed before expiry and never enter grace period. But your registrar cheated. They did not renew your domain on time, which is why that rule applied and 1 year was not added.

Secondly, when you transferred the domain away in that scenerio, they were refunded for their "auto-renewal". But they did not forwarded that refund to you. Forget refund, they wont even tell you that they have received refund, and you may ask for it.

There is no rule that your 1 year wont be added straight after you renew domain. The rule only covers expired domain (both renewed or not renewed "after" expiry date)

So, the catch is that registrars dont renew your domain straight away after receiving your money. And most people don't notice their expiry date after domain transfer.

Read full:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/al...al-shocks-from-namesilo.1082385/#post-6727395

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back