NameSilo

Question about co.uk domain names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

peace800

Established Member
Impact
Can anyone register a co.uk domain name and does it have to be registered for commercial purposes?

Can an individual who is not a company register a co.uk domain, I've read that it's intended to be used by companies or commercial use so does that mean anyone who is not a company or not using it for commercial use can't register it?

Also how do you sell and transfer a co.uk domain, is it done through nominet, your registrar etc? I had read that you have you
have to fill out paperwork etc so doesn't this make selling a co.uk tedious as selling a com is simple and transfer is done online by sedo or your registrar etc?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone can register a .co.uk domain name. All you need is to select appropriate registrant legal type - if you are a UK individual, you simply select that type during the registration. If you are a foreign citizen, then you can select Non-UK individual. There are also different legal types for companies.

To transfer .co.uk all you need is to change the IPS Tag to the new registrar (to find out the tag, you'll need to contact the new registrar) and then submit the transfer on their end. IPS tag can be changed either by your registrar or at Nominet (however it's not free to change that at Nominet, as far as I remember).

•••
Thanks really appreciate it.

I've registered a co.uk and on the nominet whois it says unknown registrant type. Does this make a difference and should I login in to nominet and change it to individual?

Everything else is ok and says that my domain is registered but just confused that it is showing as unknown registrant type? Does this make a difference and cause a problem?

•••
What type do you see in whois? Usually you can update that type within your registrar account

•••
It says unknown registrant type.

I can change it to individual from nominet's site but I was wondering is this compulsory?

I have seen other Co.uk domains with unknown registrant types in the whois.

But they do say that it is encouraged to fill this field by nominet as it will allow the registrant to make changes to their domain but what changes do they mean?

Can I still transfer and sell the domain as an unknown registrant type even though my domain is fully registered and is in my nominet domain account?

Can anyone confirm?

•••
It's better to specify the registrant type. I saw domains with Unknown type that were suspended by Nominet (when type was set up, those were unsuspended).

•••
Thanks.

Do you know if there is a charge to change to individual? I hope not.

•••
I gave on .co.uk names. It was a struggle explaining to buyers about changing accounts etc.

•••
•••
•••
I gave on .co.uk names. It was a struggle explaining to buyers about changing accounts etc.

What do you mean by changing accounts? Isn't selling or transferring a co.uk domain to a buyer a straight forward process. Does anyone have experience?

•••
I'm not sure about now but it used to be that an account push at a registrar wasn't enough. You used to have to change the account holder at Nominet as well and then pay 12 buck to do it. I think I read somewhere that GoDaddy will do that for you as well now but it didn't work when I transferred through them. I sold a few names on eBay and would still get renewal requests from Nominet because the account had not changed with them.

•••
After getting .uk name, it's always wise to go to Nominet and check if an owner is really you. Otherwise get ready to some unpleasant surprises.

But otherwise, this is a great extension and UK market is huge. And they are still cheap, although price will rise from the 1st of May...

•••
What about second level .UK names? Rules are different correct?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back