NameSilo

Putting end users with low counteroffers on hold

Labeled as advice in General Domain Discussion, started by 33S, Feb 29, 2016

Replies:
4
Views:
720

  1. 33S

    33S Established Member

    Posts:
    900
    Likes Received:
    233
    Hi. What's the best way to say to an end user that his counteroffer is low, but you may be willing to sell the domain for his price if no one else replies with a better one (I emailed a bunch of potential buyers).

    Thanks
     
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. garptrader

    garptrader Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    3,243
    Likes Received:
    3,758
    When you approach someone who was not looking to buy a domain, you will often face a situation where they either have no interest whatsoever (because they already have a domain or their internet presence is merely Facebook, Twitter or Youtube) or they are not willing to spend much on one because they don't see the need to. They were doing just fine without it and you seem to need the sale more than they need the domain. On the other hand, the domain is yours and you have the right to price it as you see fit. You can only sell the domain once and the profit you make from that sale will have to be used to compensate you for the time invested in acquiring that domain, marketing it, replacing that domain with another comparable-quality domain and as well offsetting the fact that you will not sell all your domains. The domains you sell have to pay for the vast majority of domains you do not sell. The buyer however does not care about all the domains you have not sold and so there is some limit as to how much they will pay.

    Back to your question - one approach you can consider is to thank them for their offer which you will take into consideration but that you are currently looking for an offer of X. If they really want the name, they will have to adjust their offer. Negotiation needs to be a win-win. You should not sell at a price where you feel you basically gave the name away but the buyer is not going to pay an amount where they feel cheated either. Again, you approached them so you have less leverage.

    I recently had an end user make an offer under $150 for a ten-year old .COM. While I was tempted to respond I decided to not waste my time because from prior experience, the initial offer is a good indication of how high they are willing to go and I am not interested in selling that particular domain for $XXX. But there are cases where lowball offers have been negotiated to five figures. Each case is unique.

    Best wishes on an eventual sale...
     
  3. Bullock

    Bullock Established Member

    Posts:
    699
    Likes Received:
    563

    Why do you inform that his/her is the only one interested:?:


    Take time and don't be afraid!

    You can answer: " I appreciated your offer, but we are not in the right ball park." Then, make an offer more affordable and so on ... :xf.wink:
     
  4. 33S

    33S Established Member

    Posts:
    900
    Likes Received:
    233
    I don't want to say that he/she is the only one interested. That would be counterproductive. I just desribed the situation.
     
  5. sittingducks

    sittingducks Established Member

    Posts:
    151
    Likes Received:
    246
    I don't understand this. You are even arguing against yourself later in the paragraph. What's wrong with just putting a counter offer on the table? Seems really -EV (or well, break even since you don't lose anything)
     

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
Loading...