IT.COM

Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I suggest a new thread titled Problems, Bugs and Fixes at Afternic - Report Problems Here. Then we can all list our issues so Afternic have to fix them. These Afternic probs have been repeatedly flagged up across numerous threads on here over a period of time, including the need for 2FA. Godaddy own Afternic and have the resources and motivation to fix it - this risky mess is unacceptable and reflects badly on their brand.

For info, Afternic keep reverting some of my domains to "In Review" status for no reason, and I only know that if I log in there to check on them. Until I then ask support to take them out of Review they are not listed for sale and will not sell at Afternic.

@Joe Styler When can we expect Godaddy to take action on Afternic, including implementing 2FA?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I removed all my domains from afternic last month after I was told the below when asking if afternic does a check on domains when whois changes. So basically if a domain changes ownership, will the domain be removed from my account. Most other platforms have this check and rather than saying they will look into implementing something like this, it was a straight No, you do the manual work.

Hello, It is the seller's responsibility to maintain their portfolio. If you no longer own a domain name, then please remove the listing. Thank you. Best Regards, Nick [last name removed] Escrow Support Rep

•••
It’s impossible to mark transferred domains as transferred now. Even though you click the button 15 times, it reverts back to asking you to transfer the domain whenever you revisit the escrow page. I have not managed to get a single transfer acknowledged by Afternic since this new system was introduced, so all my escrows are completely stuck. I have yet to hear any sign of life from a "TA Agent". A record of sent messages would be great, so that at least we know that the message has been sent.

Some domains were transferred to Afternic in March, prior to this system being introduced, but the new system still asks me to transfer them to Afternic, and I am unable to get the system to acknowledge that these domains have already been transferred, also not with manuan intervention from escrow agents, since they seem to have disappeared after this new system was launched. Never experienced this kind of unresponsiveness with Afternic's escrow before. Escrow was the only thing at Afternic that seemed to work smoothly. If the old system was still up, escrow would have completed for these domains, and I would have been paid already. Now I don't know how long it's going to take for these transactions to close.

I sold a domain through the premium network today, but unlike the old system, I have not received any email to notify me about it. I only discovered it when I logged into Afternic. The domain is already in the buyer’s account at another registrar, so it looks no emails are being sent out for premium network sales anymore.

However, whenever I do get a "transaction assurance" email from Afternic regarding manual transfer names, it often does not identify the domain name in question, and because I have multiple domains in escrow, I don't know which domain they are referring to. To make these emails helpful, the domain name needs to be identified in the email.

I have set up my payment to be sent to me by PayPal. However, the transaction page of Afternic indicates that I will be sent the payment by “NON_US_WIRE” - So will I get paid by PayPal or wire transfer? Shouldn’t it have said “NON_US_PAYPAL”? I once had GoDaddy Auctions inexplicably send me a payment to the wrong profile (a non existent one) after I sold a domain through their buy service, and it was impossible to get them to help me to solve it (I had to solve it with PayPal by myself). With that experience in mind, I hope that at Afternic, "WIRE" actually means "PayPal", and that this payment is not about to be wired somewhere, since I have not set up any wire transfer payee profile.

•••
Sometimes I didn't get any Price Request email notice.
afternic-bugs.png

•••
Something else that could be improved easily and improve the service:

When you submit the help/contact/support form when you are logged in, to submit you have to complete a Captcha and after submitting the form you get this message in a popup:

We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Stay Connected With Us.

So was your message sent or not? Try again, same message. You don't know.

A few days later you may get a reply from Afternic with subject line
RE: Afternic Contact Us [ ref:1234567-ABCDEF:ref ]
and that message quotes yours, so they did get it.

Can't that website form say "Thank you for your message" when you submit, and even quote it? And can't the submission generate an automated email acknowledgement from Afternic?

And why do you have to complete a Captcha if logged in? Or is there an issue with people logging in who should not?

Exactly the same message I had. I didn't know if my message was received or not. On the face of the "we are looking forward to hearing from you" message - it would appear not, especially as they haven't replied to my support query.

•••
A domain name I have already transferred in early April says “Waiting Transfer Info”, even though Afternic can just check their account at that registrar to see that its in their registrar holding account.

Another domain I have already transferred in late march says “Transfer Processing”, even though it has been in Afternic’s account for 2 weeks already (I am still being asked to tell them which registrar it is at).

However, a domain name still in my registrar account and under my ownership says “Transfer Complete”, even though I have not transferred the domain to them.

The system got 3/3 of these wrong.

For another domain I just sold, I am being asked to confirm the registrar. Even if I enter the information 10 times, it is not saved in the system, so it’s impossible to move forward with escrow. Similarly, for a domain already transferred, the system does not save it when I indicate that I have already transferred it. So that transaction is stuck too. None of my escrow’s have moved forward a single step since this new system launched. Everything is completely stuck.

I have yet to hear back from any “TA Agents” in any form since the new system launched, 100% silence. These transactions would have completed already under the old system. But since nothing is working the way it should, by main concern at this point is just that domains and/or funds inexplicably go missing... with unresponsive/non-existent "TA Agent" and customer support, that's not something I hope to encounter, as @creataweb's experience has highlighted.

Last edited:
•••
Here are some answers (red below) for issues raised in the thread from the person in charge of releasing the new change.

The new system does not have a chat log anymore, so there is no record of your communication with the “TA Agent”.
When you send a message via Afternic rather than storing it within AN (Afternic) we now send a copy of your message to your email on file so you can continue and track correspondence with the TA agent and for the domain transaction through your email.

The new system does not show the sold date of the domain, so you there is no record in my account of when a domain sold anymore. Can you please re-add this? Any domain seller who keeps a record of sales would like this info, and every marketplace except Afternic provide this info. Even for domains currently in escrow it is not possible to find out which day the domain sold on (at least I have been unable to find the area where this info is shown).
This is being worked on and a fix will be released shortly.

The new system only gives me the option of providing an authorization code for a recent sale. However, the domain is transfer locked for another 7 weeks. The manual nature of the old system was more efficient when it came to dealing such cases, as the transfer agent would consider the transfer method on an individual basis, rather than the new system which only provides a one-size fits all, even though there are so many variables that make most domain transfers different.
This is part of the new legal requirements of the release, if the domain is sold on a Non-GoDaddy website and Non-GoDaddy website collects funds for the domains, the seller is required to transfer via Auth code. If the domain has a lock, the seller can reach out to the TA agent to lift the lock on the domain. We can add messaging to the Auth code page as a later release for this.

In the old system, the escrow agent would always initiate a pull for every domain registered at Network Solutions, not ask for an authorization code. Now I only get the option of providing the authorization code for a Network Solutions domain. So I’ll have to waite 3-4 days for that to arrive, then give that to Afternic, and then it will take another 4-5 days to transfer the domain, then 6 weeks or so for the transfer to complete (since it is transfer locked). The old system where they always did a quick pull was better, as the domain would have been moved into Afternic's ownership in 2-3 days, but now it's going to take nearly 2 months.
If you call Network Solutions, they will provide the auth code sooner than 3-4 days – usually same day. The domain should not be transfer locked. Yes, if we are requesting an auth code it will had 4-5 days to the process and the seller can acknowledge the transfer to expedite. Either way it will not add 6 additional weeks to the delivery to the buyer.

Maybe you can update the system to take into consideration things such as transfer locks, or the need to pull, rather than push, domains at Network Solutions.
All addressed in above comments.

I’m getting emails telling me that “if you no longer own this domain and didn’t update your Afternic portfolio, please contact us immediately to cancel the sale” AFTER I have already pushed these domains to Afternic. The emails I’ve been getting so far are completely out of sync with the actual stages of the sales process.
Can you send an example of the email? The only email we recall having this language is in the email they receive after the funds have been approved PRIOR to transferring the domain or having details to do so.

Dozens of registrars I have domains with are not listed in the "Tell us where your domain is registered" list - I tried to type in the registrar manually, but only get the message "The domain transfer has been initiated and may take up to 4-5 days to be completed. If you have not transferred the domain or an error occurred, go back to previous step." As I haven't provided any info to Afternic such as authorization code, and Afternic has not provided me with any info, such as their account name at that registrar, the transfer has certainly not been initiated in any way, and also this particular domain is already in Afternic's account, since I transferred it prior to the new system being implemented... So there is clearly an error with how the system handles "other" registrar not in the list.
Two issues: 1) We do not have all available registrar listed in the dropdown. This is a known issue and will be fixed with a release in the near future. 2) The messaging after the seller provides the ‘Other’ registrar is confusing. We will create a new page with different messaging with ‘Other’ is submitted – will be fixed with a release in the near future. For background, when ‘Other’ is selected it should provide the customer with an input box to enter their registrar. This is then submitted to the TA agent to ‘approve’ the ‘Other’ registrar. If the TA agent approves the registrar then the seller will be notified with the holding account details are available to make the transfer. If the TA agent declines the request, the seller will be provided with an Authorization code.

And since the registrar the domain was at (pheenix) is not in the list, there is no way for me to indicate that I have transferred the domain to Afternic already. The button to indicate you have transferred a domain is only available if the registrar it is at is listed by Afternic... Previously it was there for any and all domains, regardless of registrar. And when you do indicate that a domain has been transferred in the new system, it also just gives the message "The domain transfer has been initiated and may take up to 4-5 days to be completed. If you have not transferred the domain or an error occurred, go back to previous step." But when I click this button, it means that the domain transfer has already completed - so why doesn't the system just acknowledge that instead, like the old system did?
Covered in feedback above.

•••
Every time I click on Account Settings I get this message:

We apologize, but something seems to have gone wrong...
Our technical team will have a solution very shortly.

•••
Here are some answers (red below) for issues raised in the thread from the person in charge of releasing the new change.

The new system does not have a chat log anymore, so there is no record of your communication with the “TA Agent”.
When you send a message via Afternic rather than storing it within AN (Afternic) we now send a copy of your message to your email on file so you can continue and track correspondence with the TA agent and for the domain transaction through your email.

The new system does not show the sold date of the domain, so you there is no record in my account of when a domain sold anymore. Can you please re-add this? Any domain seller who keeps a record of sales would like this info, and every marketplace except Afternic provide this info. Even for domains currently in escrow it is not possible to find out which day the domain sold on (at least I have been unable to find the area where this info is shown).
This is being worked on and a fix will be released shortly.

The new system only gives me the option of providing an authorization code for a recent sale. However, the domain is transfer locked for another 7 weeks. The manual nature of the old system was more efficient when it came to dealing such cases, as the transfer agent would consider the transfer method on an individual basis, rather than the new system which only provides a one-size fits all, even though there are so many variables that make most domain transfers different.
This is part of the new legal requirements of the release, if the domain is sold on a Non-GoDaddy website and Non-GoDaddy website collects funds for the domains, the seller is required to transfer via Auth code. If the domain has a lock, the seller can reach out to the TA agent to lift the lock on the domain. We can add messaging to the Auth code page as a later release for this.

In the old system, the escrow agent would always initiate a pull for every domain registered at Network Solutions, not ask for an authorization code. Now I only get the option of providing the authorization code for a Network Solutions domain. So I’ll have to waite 3-4 days for that to arrive, then give that to Afternic, and then it will take another 4-5 days to transfer the domain, then 6 weeks or so for the transfer to complete (since it is transfer locked). The old system where they always did a quick pull was better, as the domain would have been moved into Afternic's ownership in 2-3 days, but now it's going to take nearly 2 months.
If you call Network Solutions, they will provide the auth code sooner than 3-4 days – usually same day. The domain should not be transfer locked. Yes, if we are requesting an auth code it will had 4-5 days to the process and the seller can acknowledge the transfer to expedite. Either way it will not add 6 additional weeks to the delivery to the buyer.

Maybe you can update the system to take into consideration things such as transfer locks, or the need to pull, rather than push, domains at Network Solutions.
All addressed in above comments.

I’m getting emails telling me that “if you no longer own this domain and didn’t update your Afternic portfolio, please contact us immediately to cancel the sale” AFTER I have already pushed these domains to Afternic. The emails I’ve been getting so far are completely out of sync with the actual stages of the sales process.
Can you send an example of the email? The only email we recall having this language is in the email they receive after the funds have been approved PRIOR to transferring the domain or having details to do so.

Dozens of registrars I have domains with are not listed in the "Tell us where your domain is registered" list - I tried to type in the registrar manually, but only get the message "The domain transfer has been initiated and may take up to 4-5 days to be completed. If you have not transferred the domain or an error occurred, go back to previous step." As I haven't provided any info to Afternic such as authorization code, and Afternic has not provided me with any info, such as their account name at that registrar, the transfer has certainly not been initiated in any way, and also this particular domain is already in Afternic's account, since I transferred it prior to the new system being implemented... So there is clearly an error with how the system handles "other" registrar not in the list.
Two issues: 1) We do not have all available registrar listed in the dropdown. This is a known issue and will be fixed with a release in the near future. 2) The messaging after the seller provides the ‘Other’ registrar is confusing. We will create a new page with different messaging with ‘Other’ is submitted – will be fixed with a release in the near future. For background, when ‘Other’ is selected it should provide the customer with an input box to enter their registrar. This is then submitted to the TA agent to ‘approve’ the ‘Other’ registrar. If the TA agent approves the registrar then the seller will be notified with the holding account details are available to make the transfer. If the TA agent declines the request, the seller will be provided with an Authorization code.

And since the registrar the domain was at (pheenix) is not in the list, there is no way for me to indicate that I have transferred the domain to Afternic already. The button to indicate you have transferred a domain is only available if the registrar it is at is listed by Afternic... Previously it was there for any and all domains, regardless of registrar. And when you do indicate that a domain has been transferred in the new system, it also just gives the message "The domain transfer has been initiated and may take up to 4-5 days to be completed. If you have not transferred the domain or an error occurred, go back to previous step." But when I click this button, it means that the domain transfer has already completed - so why doesn't the system just acknowledge that instead, like the old system did?
Covered in feedback above.

Even with these responses there seems to be a fair few reasons to use a different marketplace other than Afternic. I'll look at a Plan B tomorrow.

•••
Every time I click on Account Settings I get this message:

We apologize, but something seems to have gone wrong...
Our technical team will have a solution very shortly.
If you send an email to [email protected] they can fix this for your account.

•••

I sent a message to the TA Agent and did not receive a receipt that my message had been sent nor did I get a copy of my message via email, so I have no way to know whether it was successfully sent without calling up Afternic. Why not also have the messages stored on Afternic like before?

•••
I just sold my first domain on afternic, and I find there are many problems.
1. The respond speed is too slow. I sent an email to [email protected] on Monday' morning, and I just get respond today, which is three days later.

2. When I try to add paypal as my payment method, it shows that:
The account information could not be validated by PayPal. Please verify that your details are exactly as they are in your PayPal account (name and email address).
I am sure that the name is correct. I sent an email to [email protected], they just told me ensure your contact information is correct. Very uesless answer.
When I add paypal in sedo I just need to add email address.

3.When I add payment method, it says that wire transfers fee is $20. But in domain TA page it says wire transfers fee is $5. I am not sure which is ture and not sure how much can I get.

4.When I add information to wire transfers, the information required is not clear enough. Normally, a wire transfers to China doesn't need CNAPS, Bank ZIP. A international wire transfers to China involve many different branch and Sub-branch bank. Each one has different CNAPS and bank ZIP. I am not sure which one should I input, and the bank staff even doesn's know about this.

5.I can only set new payment method as default method, I can't change default method to exsiting method.

6.In domain TA page, the payout information only shows wire, and no details. I can not check if the information is correct.

7.I can not edit the payment method when the status changes to TRANSFER COMPLETE. Even though I have not provide any payment method information.
I just fill out the information and I try to edit payment method, then I found I can't edit it. I have sent email, but maybe I need to wait three days for next respond.

•••
I sent a message to the TA Agent and did not receive a receipt that my message had been sent nor did I get a copy of my message via email, so I have no way to know whether it was successfully sent without calling up Afternic. Why not also have the messages stored on Afternic like before?
We should be sending you one. If you are not getting it and you checked your spam folder etc then if you contact [email protected] they can look into your specific case and see what happened.

•••
We should be sending you one. If you are not getting it and you checked your spam folder etc then if you contact [email protected] they can look into your specific case and see what happened.

I sent another message and did not receive any confirmations anywhere (nothing in my spam folder either). Please bring back the transaction email box to Afternic.

•••
Also when I log into my Afternic account, the transaction status is TRANSFER OWNERSHIP even though apparently the funds are still pending financial verification.

•••
TFW it's a blessing that no one's buying your names at Afternic.

•••
I still have names in review from last year that for some reason are not being approved. Names that are not considered adult. I emailed at least 3 times before I got an answer and they still show in review even though I was told it would be done by 3 hours after my email was received. This was a couple of weeks ago now.

Also I have a name I sold last month, never got paid. Even got the email saying I was getting paid within 2 business days. I sent all sorts of proof including having the buyer email to confirm receipt of the domain. I am not getting responses all the time about it either.
That is one other thing we solved for with the new release. All domains now go through an Afternic holding account before going to the buyer so we know when they are moved and can pay accordingly, no guessing or proof needed.

•••
I checked and unfortunately that won't be coming back. If you are not getting the emails reach out to me and I will have someone look into your account specifically to see what is happening.

•••
That is one other thing we solved for with the new release. All domains now go through an Afternic holding account before going to the buyer so we know when they are moved and can pay accordingly, no guessing or proof needed.
Also we force the WHOIS to update so no more people not changing the WHOIS from your info.

•••
Why does it take 3-5 days to get a response when I send a message through Afternic's website?

Edit: I am glad to see some changes taking place.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think their new payment method is working. I was expecting payment yesterday for a domain sold 2 weeks ago. Nothing. Payment method is Auto (to my PayPal).
I don't need the money for a while, so I think I'll wait and see if I get paid.

•••
I can confirm that "WIRE" does not mean "WIRE transfer" but rather means "PAYPAL" at Afternic. Glad that did not turn out to be an issue.

•••
I don't think their new payment method is working. I was expecting payment yesterday for a domain sold 2 weeks ago. Nothing. Payment method is Auto (to my PayPal).
I don't need the money for a while, so I think I'll wait and see if I get paid.
If you dont see the money please let me know. We have the long weekend here with many banks closed today so that might be a part of the issue. If you do not see the money by Monday please reach out to me so I can help.

•••
If you dont see the money please let me know. We have the long weekend here with many banks closed today so that might be a part of the issue. If you do not see the money by Monday please reach out to me so I can help.
Will do. Thanks.

•••
This new system change caught me in the middle of a sale and it ended perfectly. I've received PayPal payment yesterday, one day before their due date.

PayPal withdrowal fee is $1, which means no Mass Payment anymore.

•••
I'm still waiting on a payment from April 3rd (when I received my email confirming payment will be sent within 1-2 days) with very little response from anyone. This transaction was started almost a month ago and I am finding it difficult to get a person to actually respond back to me.

Does anyone have a direct email to someone there that can help?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back