Dynadot

Pool.com - Transaction complete - WTF!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just checked my email to see there was a message from [email protected] to tell me I had succesfully obtained emigrationlawyers.com for $70USD at auction.

The only problem is I did not place any bids on this domain AT ALL. Infact I have not even used pool.com's auction marketplace at all. I only do backorders! How the hell has this happened?

I do not want this domain, it is an obvious mispelt word and is useless to me.

I have emailed [email protected] right away to request a cancelation of this but I feel something is amiss here?

Has this happened to anyone else??

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is probably just some type of billing error. I am sure they will figure out what happened and fix it.

Brad

•••
Something similar to this happened to me with the domain dedicatedserverforum.com, I do use pool from time to time. But I did not remember clicking anything in the interface which would of had me back order the domain name. Fortunately in my case I actually like the domain, so I decided to keep it! If you have never used pool before I would definitely contact them and let them know you had no intentions in back ordering the domain nor do you even use there service.

I just checked my email to see there was a message from [email protected] to tell me I had succesfully obtained emigrationlawyers.com for $70USD at auction.

The only problem is I did not place any bids on this domain AT ALL. Infact I have not even used pool.com's auction marketplace at all. I only do backorders! How the hell has this happened?

I do not want this domain, it is an obvious mispelt word and is useless to me.

I have emailed [email protected] right away to request a cancelation of this but I feel something is amiss here?

Has this happened to anyone else??

•••
This morning I checked my email to find one from "NameScout" titled, "Congratulations! Your domain(s) are registered with Namescout.com‏"

Perfect! This is seeming like it has gone too far already to get it reversed and seems like I am going to have some serious resistance from pool.com about this!

I have only ever used pool once for the backorder system to try and get the domain recuk(dot)com and I also used snapnames to try and aquire the domain, snapnames won the domain for me. So this is just very strange.

•••
CC chargebacks are powerful things....

•••
pool

It happened to me too when last week they told me that I had 'won' a domain which did not look good from its appearance. But I am happy with it because it gets 150+ daily visits and has so far made $9.47 in six days at nd. not bad in my case.

•••
Can you please tell me from where did you get this revenue? From adsense? Right?

•••
Of course, make sure to cite specifics. But any word from pool yet?

•••
I have had some replies from pool, after having to phone them to give them a bit of a kick to reply to me.

Heres how the convos have gone so far;

Hi, I did NOT place an auction for this domain name? I don't understand how this has happened and would like to cancel this immideately. How have the funds been taken out my account? This must be an error as I have had no intention of registering this domain name! Colin Winhall

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Jamie H.) - 07/28/2009 04:08 PMHello;

Thank you for contacting Pool.com, we are pleased to assist you with your inquiry.

The domain you purchased was listed for sale in auction, which means the only way you could have purchased this domain is by submitting a bid for it. Per our terms and conditions bids placed for domains in auction are considered binding and we do not provide refunds.

Thank you for using Pool.com Regards, Pool.com Customer Service

Hi, As per my first inquiry, I did NOT place a bid for ANY domain name. I have never even used the pool auction service. I have only ever used the backorder system ONCE for the domain name recuk.com to which snapnames aquired the name for me and not pool.

I have never used another service of pool other than for that unsuccesful backorder.

That is fine as per yout terms of service that it is legally binding if I made a bid on an auction but I am telling you now that I have never made a bid on an auction, therefore I am wanting this corrected!

As far as I'm concerned this domain name is being forced upon me by pool and funds taken out my account, that almost seems like theft! How is this being treated so lightly?

I have posted what has happened to me on a domaining forum where other people have told me that they too have had a similar problem but they did not contact pool in regards to it becuase they happy with the mistake as the domain name that was forced upon them was actually worth money.

Please investigate it further!

Colin Winhall.
Hello;

Thank you for contacting Pool.com, we are pleased to assist you with your inquiry.

With all due respect I must again confirm the domain emigrationlawyers.com was only available for sale in an auction, which means that in order to win this auction you had to login to your Pool.com account, lookup the auction of emigrationlawyers.com, and then submit your bid. There is absolutely no other way your account could have been associated with this auction. If it was not your intention to bid on this auction then that is very unfortunate, but the end result is your account did submit a $70 bid for emigrationlawyers.com.

Thank you for using Pool.com Regards, Pool.com Customer Service
Hi Jamie,

I understand fully how the process works, I am not new to the internet or websites / auctions. This is why I am so certain that I did not go through this process!

This seems like one of those situations where a user says one thing and a computer says another but the computer is taken that it does not make mistakes?

I am sorry and also with all due respects back to you but this is SO wrong and I am not trying to weasle out of a domain purchase here, which is how I feel I am probably being seen to be doing!

$70 might not be a lot to most of your user base of domainers, but for me it is a lot and I am wanting to take this seriously and if necessary I will be forced to place a credit card cashback on this transaction.

Colin.

•••
Hello; Thank you for contacting Pool.com, we are pleased to assist you with your inquiry.

Our accounting manager will issue the refund you have requested, and they have also promptly closed your Pool.com account.

Thank you for using Pool.com Regards,

Pool.com Customer Service

Well handled pool, very professional :zzz::|

•••
•••
•••
Neither word is spelled wrong.

Emigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emigration means leaving a country, immigration means entering a country.

Yes I realise that, I did't get my point across properly there. What I meant is that the obvious domain name people would be searching for is immigration. I don't believe emigration lawyers are too in need. :tri:

•••
Does Pool's domain listing interface use lots of javascript / ajax? ... perhaps, there's a flaw in their interface that sometimes causes random domains to be checkmarked. Or do they have a confirmation screen? If they don't, they should, if they're using ajax / heavy javascript, because such interfaces can sometimes get very wonky - ie. if a person's browser is running low on memory and/or ISP connection is flaky.

Another possibility is an internal database problem at Pool that sometimes causes random domains to be marked as purchased for some Pool account holders, unknowingly. In my view, based on what I've read in this thread, Pool db issues is probably the more likely scenerio.

Regardless of the possible reasons, Pool should look into this matter further, especially, if there are many other reports of people getting billed for domains they don't remember buying.

As far as the domain goes - imho, you made the right move not buying it, since it probably gets little to no traffic anyways, and no obvious end user possibilites.

Ron

•••
Your next letter should read;

To whom it may concern,

I have no more time for your ignorance and mistakes. Please provide evidence that this bid was placed by me, including the time, date, IP address and any other information available. Alternatively, please provide a complete refund for this invoice or I will be forced to do a credit card charge back. Knobs.

Best regards,
QBert

•••
Wow, this level of customer dis-service by pool support almost rivals that of GoDaddy.

•••
Closed the account just like that.. bad business..

•••
I had the same problem a while ago.

They successfully secured a domain for me that I'm CERTAIN I didn't backorder.

I received the pretty much the same replies that you did when I emailed them. I eventually just gave up and took the $60 loss.

In retrospect I should have persued it and have them close my account in exchange for a refund.
I haven't used them since anyway.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back