Dynadot

poll POLL / What is the 0 and what is the o?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What you think is the 0 and what you think is the o?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I think, 0 is the 0

• I think, o is the o

• I THINK THIS POLL IS NONSENSE BECAUSE I CAN DISTINGUISH A 0 from an o

• I think, 0 is the o

• I think, o is the 0

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

THTMVATMEDNOATTop Member
Impact
Dear nP members,

referring to my THREAD* about my stylish 3 character LNL .tube CHIP .tube domain y0u.tube I now started a POLL about the difference of the digit 0 and the letter o here.

This POLLs question is the following:
What you think is the 0 and what you think is the o?
  • Please choose the three (of the five) points which you think they are right to see the current results!
  • Of course you are also welcome to post your opinion about the two different signs. But please know that I may dislike it if I do not agree with it althoug I generally appreciate your participation in the debate.

Thanx,
all the best with your invest,
kingof.top

* THREAD https://www.namepros.com/threads/y0u-tube-y0u-tube-y-0-digit-u-tld-tube.957689
/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now I know you're trolling.

There's no way that you can be serious.

•••
Now I know you're trolling.

There's no way that you can be serious.
Come on, it's the BREAK ROOM ;)

It's simply a natural reaction to the average reactions in the mentioned thread of my mentioned 3 character LNL .tube CHIP .tube domain y0u.tube

Last edited:
•••
•••
I THINK THIS POLL IS NONSENSE BECAUSE I CAN DISTINGUISH A 0 from an o

•••
Doesn't matter. You're making a mockery out of the business I, and others around here, run.

By all respect - of course this matters - otherwise there would not be a BREAKROOM I think.
And no - I just use the 'humor way' to state what I think about it if someone says he sees an 0 as an o.

Last edited:
•••
When one is talking (or writing) one is not listening or reading, and so is not learning anything. Given all you do is write constantly, and often spam and tediously pointless nonesense, you are not learning.

.top is currently worthless, it's all hope and a dream you have. That is not good business.

Is o 0 or 0 like o or what ever is nonesense. Its unhelpful to anyone including you. This means you are wasting time.

What are you doing man?

•••
When one is talking (or writing) one is not listening or reading, and so is not learning anything. Given all you do is write constantly, and often spam and tediously pointless nonesense, you are not learning.

.top is currently worthless, it's all hope and a dream you have. That is not good business.

Is o 0 or 0 like o or what ever is nonesense. Its unhelpful to anyone including you. This means you are wasting time.

What are you doing man?

I am doing of what I am convinced of (like you).
It's all a point of view.

Last edited:
•••
You do not have a POV in my eyes. Your investments are utter rubbish and I fear other members will listen to your hype and waste their time and money. Still, it's obvious you only care about number 1, or of course anyone who agrees with you.

You need to go get wise.

•••
You do not have a POV in my eyes. Your investments are utter rubbish and I fear other members will listen to your hype and waste their time and money. Still, it's obvious you only care about number 1, or of course anyone who agrees with you.

You need to go get wise.

Every post on nP reflects an individual POV (opinion):

That's why you can find this hint at every thread's first opening post:
'The opinions expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.'

Maybe I am wiser than it looks for you.
My investments / domains are so wise like I am.

I reply to you because I agree with your opinion or because I don't agree with your opinion.

Last edited:
•••
On a standard qwerty keyboard the letter o and the figure 0 are beside each other so I'm sure this gives rise to typo's at least occasionally.

Also, with so many fonts used today they are often mistakenly read as they do look alike in both uppercase and lower case.

With the advent of Voice Command I could see a case for 63 domains becoming popular to use and maybe some of the easiest commands to voice.

•••
On a standard qwerty keyboard the letter o and the figure 0 are beside each other so I'm sure this gives rise to typo's at least occasionally.

Also, with so many fonts used today they are often mistakenly read as they do look alike in both uppercase and lower case.

I didn't noticed that keyboard 0 / o fact until now, great point.

But innert the same font there is 100 % an obviously clear different between the 0 and the o.
And URLs are always written in the same font - and, they are always written with small letters.

So I am sure that there is no way to think that the 0 in the URL is a 0 and the o in the URL is the o - and that's why I voted for those 3 points:

- I think 0 is the 0
- I think o is the o
- I THINK THIS POLL IS NONSENSE BECAUSE I CAN DISTINGUISH A 0 from a o

Last edited:
•••
I didn't noticed that keyboard 0 / o fact until now, great point.

But innert the same font there is 100 % an obviously clear different between the 0 and the o.

I had to cut copy and past the above "0" then google search it to find out if it was a letter or figure just to be sure.

There is more factors like the 'font size' and 'bold' type :

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

I never wore glasses and I'm a well practiced proofreader of computer code but the figure 0 an and letter o do confuse me sometimes especially in alpha-numeric strings.

•••
I had to cut copy and past the above "0" then google search it to find out if it was a letter or figure just to be sure.

There is more factors like the 'font size' and 'bold' type :

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

I never wore glasses and I'm a well practiced proofreader of computer code but the figure 0 an and letter o do confuse me sometimes especially in alpha-numeric strings.

What's confusing at 0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o?

It's clearly a 0, followed by an o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o.

Also, there will always be a way to find out that a 0 is a 0 and a o is a o if this doubt really comes into reality.

In 99% the letters / digits of a written font has the same size / boldness.

In the URL its 100 %.

Last edited:
•••
Well

I voted and chose

"'

I THINK THIS POLL IS NONSENSE BECAUSE I CAN DISTINGUISH A 0 from an o ""

•••
What's confusing at 0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o?

It's clearly a 0, followed by an o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o, followed by a 0, followed by a o.

Also, there will always be a way to find out that a 0 is a 0 and a o is a o of it this doubt really comes into reality.

In 99% the letters / digits of a written font has the same size / boldness.

In the URL its 100 %.

If you ask a computer programmer have they ever made the mistake typing or reading 0 and o, the answer would nearly always be 'yes' it's a typo however uncommon it may be.

In your examples so far the letter and figure are close to each other so it's easy to compare.

In examples where there letter or figure are isolate that's when we have to look closer to distinguish.

Example: GLKF5V-7O53 or JVC6DK0-HG*LCI

The above examples are typical authentication codes that we use to transfer domains, it's easy to see how mistakes happen when we read or type codes like these.

•••
The people who are new to keyboard or learning will surely get confused and think 0 is the o or o is the 0.

•••
If you ask a computer programmer have they ever made the mistake typing or reading 0 and o, the answer would nearly always be 'yes' it's a typo however uncommon it may be.

In your examples so far the letter and figure are close to each other so it's easy to compare.

In examples where there letter or figure are isolate that's when we have to look closer to distinguish.

Example: GLKF5V-7O53 or JVC6DK0-HG*LCI

The above examples are typical authentication codes that we use to transfer domains, it's easy to see how mistakes happen when we read or type codes like these.

If someone sees a 0 in a code, password etc. and really thinks its an o, he will realize that it is a 0 when he cant login, transfer etc. - at tho point he simply look what's the reason and then he will realize that he was not carefully enough by reading it.
But no problem - because in future he will be more careful and that's good for him.

But I think this is nearly never happen because if humans have to do with codes, passwords etc. they are generally very careful - so in 99 % they will see the 0 as 0 and the o as an o - no matter if it stands alone or not (because codes, passwords etc. are always written in one font style - maybe except captchas - but that make sense and tho is another thing and not comparable).

So it's clearly the fault of the reader if s/he really sees a 0 as an o and an o as a 0.
Every fault is good for learning and every learning is good.

Of course many codes, passwords etc. can include a 0 and / or an o - means, we generally have to be careful with codes, passwords etc.

And last but not least, everybody who reads a 0 in an URL will see it as a 0 and the same with an o.

Last edited:
•••
The people who are new to keyboard or learning will surely get confused and think 0 is the o or o is the 0.

I doubt that.

In my case, my 'confusion' about it was away after I learnt to read / write - and this was when I was a child.
In fact I never was confused about it - I were able to distinguish it from the beginning on.

Since I live, a 0 was a 0 for me and an o was an o for me and I can't remember that I ever had problems to distinguish those two signs.

•••
I doubt that.

In my case, my 'confusion' about it was away after I learnt to read / write - and this was when I was a child.
In fact I never was confused about it - I were able to distinguish it from the beginning on.

Since I live, a 0 was a 0 for me and an o was an o for me and I can't remember that I ever had problems to distinguish those two signs.

Your forgetting that were all different, lots of humans are visually impaired and also our levels of concentration vary considerably throughout each day of our lives.

Typo's happen all the time and for branding purposes o and 0 are confusingly similar so it is a issue for domainers and will proberly remain so for longer than our lives.

The letter 'o' looks 'round' most of time but sometimes looks more 'oval'

The figure '0' looks 'oval' most of the time but sometimes look more 'round'

It's easy to understand that confusion arises between the two characters if you think about it for long enough.

Last edited:
•••
Your forgetting that were all different, lots of humans are visually impaired and also our levels of concentration vary considerably throughout each day of our lives.

Typo's happen all the time and for branding purposes o and 0 are confusingly similar so it is a issue for domainers and will proberly remain so for longer than our lives.

I understand what you want to say - but your points are definitely not a reason / argument against the usage of the 0 and the o.
Or should we ban the 0 and the o now?
And all other 'similar' signs?

If someone can't read / write carefully, then he simply have to learn it (if he want to use his skills).

Especially similar looking signs.
He will learn the difference - simply because there is a (probably fine but clear) difference.

It's the same with all other things.

For example - if you see salt and sugar at the first time, you also have to learn the difference between it if you don't want always a salty tea or a sweet steak.

Learning by doing, always possible.
If it is really not possible for someone to learn it, than s/he simply should focus on other things (no problem) which s/he can learn.

Last edited:
•••
kingof.top

You have too much time on your hands :-P:xf.wink:

•••
•••
I just got a paradoxon thought in my mind, really very matching to the topic:

ZERO

:laugh:

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back