Dynadot

[POLL] - How are your all time DN hand-reg sales? Be Honest!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How are your hand-reg sales? READ POST BEFORE YOU VOTE..

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 96% - 100%

votes
    9.2%
  • 91% - 95%

votes
    0.0%
  • 81% - 90%

votes
    5.1%
  • 71% - 80%

votes
    6.1%
  • 61% - 70%

votes
    4.1%
  • 51% - 60%

votes
    3.1%
  • 41% - 50%

votes
    5.1%
  • 31% - 40%

votes
    6.1%
  • 21% - 30%

votes
    10.2%
  • 11% - 20%

votes
    9.2%
  • 6% - 10%

votes
    9.2%
  • 5% or less

votes
    32.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

GreenGambler

I Collect SilverVIP Member
Impact
Someone in another thread posted that 99% of domains registered are never sold. IMO, this might be true on a global, all-time, basis but I think the percentage is probably a bit different for domainers.

I believe that the NamePros community represent the rest of the domaining world pretty well, so lets see how NPers hand-reg'd domain name sales really are.
*QUESTION* What is the percentage of hand-reg'd domain names you've sold from all the domain names you've registered with the intent to sale?
EXAMPLE:
You've hand registered 100 domain names over the past 5 years. Of those 100 names you let 15 drop, sold 40 and are currently holding the other 45. You would have sold 40% of your names which you registered with intent to sale.
Divide the number of names you've sold by the number of names your've hand-reg'd, for all time.

For this poll...
*Only count your rang-reg's, not your aftermarket purchases.
*Don't worry about calculating renewals or the amount of years you originally reg'd each name for. That would be good, but maybe for another poll.

So, how great of a speculative sales person are you?

GG

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ROI is far more important than the percent actually sold.

If you have higher quality sales you could do better with a 5-10% sales record than a 70% sales record for minimal average profit.

Brad

•••
Sold about 3,200 out of about 4,000, so I voted 71%-80%. Plan to sell some more of current holdings, which should push me up into next group.

•••
I have been in the domain business for about 3 yrs. In the VERY beginning I didn't have a clue what I was doing and so maybe 5% of what I hand regged was selling. In the past two years I have been in the domain business I have become more experienced and I have sold MANY domain names. If I counted correctly I have sold 120 domain names.

My secret to success is that I do business ONLY honestly and ethically. I do NOT lie or cheat people and I do NOT charge outrageous prices on my domain names. I also offer the BEST customer service and appreciate each and every single customer or potential customer that I have. Regardless if my customers spends 1 penny or 1 million dollars, the customer is the key to my success as a seller. :)

Lately a good 80 - 90% of what I hand reg sells. If it is a decent domain name then sooner or later it will sell. :)

•••
I have sold a good 80% of Domain Names I have intended to sale within the first 5 months of holding the Domain Name.

•••
100% hand registered off dropped lists.

•••
baseball that's still hand registered your just quicker than others to get them, a 9 dollar reg fee brings in same profit no matter if it sat idol for a year or not

•••
I think it depends on the type of sales you are going for. There are those that go for low margin sales and can get a lot of them, maybe making $3-$5 per sale. Their percentage would be a lot higher than the domainer that regges 100 names in hoping to sell one high-margin for $1000+. (I think this makes up the majority of domainers, it's a lot of work to sell a domain for $2, just doing the communication and pushing)

For me I'm in the latter group. Although I've seen those guys on ebay with hundreds of domain for sale for a few dollars each, I don't know how they do it.

•••
I'd say about 50%.

I started buying/reg'ing in the late 90's, but let a lot of stuff go after the .com crash; stuff that today would be worth far, far more than my costs :( I actually let 3ep / com expire (endlessly kicks self in the butt :( :(:( )

The ones that I kept from that time have sold pretty well- I unloaded some of the better ones at market peak a couple years ago, but I'm sure in the future, I'll probably regret it as they'll only be worth more and more.

I classify my domains into three groups. Those reg'd prior to 2000, those reg'd from 2000-2004 and those reg'd subsequent to 2004. Needless to say, the general quality of the domains deteriorates sharply as the timeline progresses.

I'm well in the black on the few I kept from Pre 2000. Don't have many left, but the ones I do are good ones.
I'm about = on 2000-2004 (resales)
I'm operating at a loss on those reg'd after 2004 as far as resales, but have dev'd a few for profit.

Right now, I have less than 100 and am only keeping those I plan to dev, as well as a few that are long term speculative (like a few hard-hitting .ws pure keywords)

Last edited:
•••
I think it depends on the type of sales you are going for. There are those that go for low margin sales and can get a lot of them, maybe making $3-$5 per sale. Their percentage would be a lot higher than the domainer that regges 100 names in hoping to sell one high-margin for $1000+.

I am reffering to all sales, regardless of the profits.. If you hand-reg'd it and sold it, it counts.

I'm at 40%. In the past five years I've hand-reg'd 325 names and sold 131 of those. I've let 74 drop, donated 6 to charity auctions and am currently holding the rest.

•••
I've sold around 20% of my hand-reg'd names, mostly .in and short .com's.

I've found that the names I've dropped most are the .info's which I reg'd at $0.99 promo... but even out of those I still made enough profit from about 5% of the sales to cover the entire .info portfolio I'd accumulated!

I generally buy with the intention to hold for at least 3 years and with that in mind I'd say my percentages are a bit off because I'm still holding a large portion of the hand-reg'd names.

Ben42 does make a valid point and I think its worth keeping an open mind in regards to our intentions. A lot of people reg names with the intention to sell for a much bigger margin whereas others are happy to flip for a quick buck or two.

It makes a difference because some (myself included) would still flip even to cover the reg' fees (or even at a loss) - whereas others would rather let names drop than having to spend time chasing small sales.

So, for names that you resell even at a loss - is that counted? If so, then my percentage would be slightly higher at about 25%.

•••
So, for names that you resell even at a loss - is that counted? If so, then my percentage would be slightly higher at about 25%.

For the purpose of this poll I would say yes. I just want to know how successful domainers have been at selling the names which they hand-reg'd, regardless of profits, that could be another poll.

•••
If you want a good domain you need to invest a lot.

•••
ROI is far more important than the percent actually sold.

If you have higher quality sales you could do better with a 5-10% sales record than a 70% sales record for minimal average profit.

Brad

You are very correct and I agree 100%. But I'm not debating that, Im just trying to figure out the percentage of hand-regs that domainers are able to sell.

•••
My stats from January 1 2009 - May 10 2009

Number of Registered domains: 212
Sold domains: 157
Percentage: 74.05%

I voted for 71-80%....

-jd

•••
I voted 81%-90%. Probably 20% of those are at liquidation prices before they expire.

•••
I have to vote very low at 5%, first because I am primarily an aftermarket buyer, and second because I believe my hand regs are intended to improve dramatically in value over years to the point of $x,xxx. I am not looking for the quick, simple sale at price improvement of $xx in a matter of days or weeks.

•••
I believe my hand regs are intended to improve dramatically in value over years to the point of $x,xxx. I am not looking for the quick, simple sale at price improvement of $xx in a matter of days or weeks.

Good point,

Most hand-registered names are done so with the intent of the value increasing over an undefined period of time.

•••
Haven't counted but my guess is somewhere around 70%. Would be a lot lower had it not been for the 2500 or so LLLL.com + LLLL.net I regged over the past couple years, all of which I sold.

•••
Answered, Im on the average :wave:

•••
I am in the lower count, 20 percent, but just a few less than 200.00 the rest higher amounts
Joe T

•••
I am in the lower count, 20 percent, but just a few less than 200.00 the rest higher amounts
Joe T

Wow! Bringing up a 7+ year old topic.

•••
well I see lots of debates on the new gltds on are you profitable but couldn't find a more recent poll on domain sales and profitability in general, maybe there is one more recent , but a ton of domainers but whats working for them on thesales front, not that ppc is dead just wounded right now(imho) I was gonna post a new poll till I found this one, of coarse I don't agree with the premise its not quantity but quality of sales
joe t

Last edited:
•••
baseball that's still hand registered your just quicker than others to get them, a 9 dollar reg fee brings in same profit no matter if it sat idol for a year or not
I know thats why i said 100%

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back