Dynadot

Political Figure typo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Let's say, for example, I picked up HillaryClinton.com (with 2 Ls). Is there any legal issues with that? Could I park it, resell it, etc? I grabbed a nice one the other day that's pulling in 30-40 uniques a day, but wanted to ask the pros here before doing anything further with it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is a tricky one. Polititions as a rule are public figures and open to fair use. If you have a "fan site" and stick with the rules of fair use, then you are ok. But... the domain is used in "bad faith" and the politition can prove that his name is a TM (meaning that he uses his/her name in commerce), then that will hurt you. In the example, Hillary uses her name for speaking engagements and has a book out. So she is able to show her name has commercial value. Thus if she challenges the domain, she would most likely win. There was a recent decision where a big shot named David Pecker lost a challenge because he did not prove his name obtained TM status (I believe his lawyers dropped the ball on this one and the panlist did a great job in his decision by using facts and not assumptions).

Now, here is the key question for you, is your plan to make money from this domain???

•••
DNQuest.com said:
Now, here is the key question for you, is your plan to make money from this domain???

Was there another reason for picking this domain name up? :hehe:

•••
domainspade said:
Was there another reason for picking this domain name up? :hehe:

And that would be the very reason why he is a cybersquatter if that is his answer...

•••
DNQuest.com said:
And that would be the very reason why he is a cybersquatter if that is his answer...
Stop with the flattery, please.

•••
Risen -

In all honesty, yes - you COULD run into legal issues. You did purchase this domain name to make a profit, for which - I dont blame you. I only buy domain names to make money on them. Now, in regards to your question, the answer is yes.

You absolutely could get a C & D. Will you? Its up in the air. But to be honest, Im suprised you even were able to register this name? I would imagine its going to be getting some decent type in traffic over the next year atleast. However I think if Hilary were to assume the roll of Prez (which I personally believe is a longshot, not because she isnt capable, but because of the social and political climate). You would eventually be contested for the domain name.

How you proceed is up to you, personally I would be very careful what you do.

Justin

•••
risenfall said:
Stop with the flattery, please.

I guess you haven't really read the site yet, have you?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back