Dynadot

domain Phone Hardware .com French premium one word .net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EasyZG

Established Member
Impact
Please appraise "Biens .net"

Biens is one of the top 50 most used words in the French language, meaning "goods" or "estates".

Also, please appraise
Phone Hardware .com

Thanks in advance!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please appraise "Biens .net"

Biens is one of the top 50 most used words in the French language, meaning "goods" or "estates".

Also, please appraise
Phone Hardware .com

Thanks in advance!!

I'm no French expert (did learn it and use it for a while, but very rusty), but "bien" means "good" as in a quality, not a product. Adding "s" to it doesn't pluralize it to make it the English "goods". According to Google translate "marchandises" is the word you are looking for. "Biens" appears to mean "Property" according to Google Translate - but is not the first choice to translate "property" into French. Where are you getting it being one of the top 50 most used words? Are you basing it off of the word "bien" or "biens"? Again, I'm glad to be wrong, but in all my years studying French in school and using it later on, I don't believe we used that once. Furthermore, Google only gets 480 searches for "biens" per month which is incredibly low... if it were a bigger word like you say, I would expect it to be much higher... Certainly has potential as a brandable with it being 5L and starting with "bien", but I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Could you provide your source?

EDIT: Being a dot net, I don't see a lot of brandable opportunity for this either... they need to be stellar as a brandable in dot net.

•••
I'm no French expert (did learn it and use it for a while, but very rusty), but "bien" means "good" as in a quality, not a product. Adding "s" to it doesn't pluralize it to make it the English "goods". According to Google translate "marchandises" is the word you are looking for. "Biens" appears to mean "Property" according to Google Translate - but is not the first choice to translate "property" into French. Where are you getting it being one of the top 50 most used words? Are you basing it off of the word "bien" or "biens"? Again, I'm glad to be wrong, but in all my years studying French in school and using it later on, I don't believe we used that once. Furthermore, Google only gets 480 searches for "biens" per month which is incredibly low... if it were a bigger word like you say, I would expect it to be much higher... Certainly has potential as a brandable with it being 5L and starting with "bien", but I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Could you provide your source?

EDIT: Being a dot net, I don't see a lot of brandable opportunity for this either... they need to be stellar as a brandable in dot net.

Thanks for the response. Here's a couple of ways Biens is used:

"les biens immobiliers"
real estate

"les biens d'un magasin"
a store's goods

"Biens" means goods Aka merchandise, and is also used to describe property/assets in French.

"Bien" is the 48th most commonly used word in French.

According to Google keywords, "Biens" is exactly searched 1,200 times in France alone per month and is also one of the most searched words in a lot of different African countries where French is the primary language.

•••
Thanks for the response. Here's a couple of ways Biens is used:

"les biens immobiliers"
real estate

"les biens d'un magasin"
a store's goods

"Biens" means goods Aka merchandise, and is also used to describe property/assets in French.

"Bien" is the 48th most commonly used word in French.

According to Google keywords, "Biens" is exactly searched 1,200 times in France alone per month and is also one of the most searched words in a lot of different African countries where French is the primary language.

Thanks for sharing that. I am still only seeing 480 searches per month in France according to my Google AdWords account, but 1,200 isn't very high either if it were a commonly used word for "goods". Something tells me it is a lesser used word. As such it may still have value, but I'm going to back out of this one since I am not too familiar with the french market.

Also, you still didn't say where you are getting the "most commonly used word in French" from. I'd like to see that even for my own curiosity.

Thanks again and I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Stephen

•••
Sorry, Svede, I must disagree with you.

0jKqTp4.png

https://translate.google.it/?hl=it&tab=wT#fr/en/biens

The problem is Google AdWords planner: 1.300 - Low - € 0,02

CPC is is worthless :xf.confused:

•••
Thanks for sharing that. I am still only seeing 480 searches per month in France according to my Google AdWords account, but 1,200 isn't very high either if it were a commonly used word for "goods". Something tells me it is a lesser used word. As such it may still have value, but I'm going to back out of this one since I am not too familiar with the french market.

Also, you still didn't say where you are getting the "most commonly used word in French" from. I'd like to see that even for my own curiosity.

Thanks again and I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Stephen

Thanks for your feedback. "Bien" is the word that is the 45th most used word according to http://french.languagedaily.com/wordsandphrases/most-common-words

•••
Sorry, Svede, I must disagree with you.

0jKqTp4.png

https://translate.google.it/?hl=it&tab=wT#fr/en/biens

The problem is Google AdWords planner: 1.300 - Low - € 0,02

CPC is is worthless :xf.confused:

No problem disagreeing! :D

And I found my mistake... I usually start typing "translate" into the browser and translate.google.com pops up... somehow I went to translate.com and didn't notice (working while replying :)). Translate.com translates it differently...

Anyway, thanks for that, I've never seen that word used like that before (have seen "marchandises"), but again, I am not even close to a French expert.

Thanks for your feedback. "Bien" is the word that is the 45th most used word according to http://french.languagedaily.com/wordsandphrases/most-common-words

Thank you! ...but I don't see "biens" on that list... you said it was in top 50? "Bien" and "biens" are not the same word in French...

Last edited:
•••

And I found my mistake... I usually start typing "translate" into the browser and translate.google.com pops up... somehow I went to translate.com and didn't notice (working while replying :)).

Anyway, thanks for that, I've never seen that word used like that before (have seen "marchandises"), but again, I am not even close to a French expert.

Thank you! ...but I don't see "biens" on that list... you said it was in top 50? "Bien" and "biens" are not the same word in French...

Biens is the plural of bien... Bien and Biens in French are virtually equivalent to good and goods in English.

Sure the plural form Biens is not used as much as bien. However, in this case, the plural form might be more relavent than the singular for commerce. Goods.com is probably a better commercial domain than Good.com even though the singular form of the word is used more often.

•••
Biens is the plural of bien... Bien and Biens in French are virtually equivalent to good and goods in English.

Sure the plural form Biens is not used as much as bien. However, in this case, the plural form might be more relavent than the singular for commerce. Goods.com is probably a better commercial domain than Good.com even though the singular form of the word is used more often.

According to Google Translate, it doesn't have the definition of the singular goods like in English (glad to be wrong, but not seeing it). Also, the commonness of "bien" comes from the definition of good as in a quality - like Je suis tres bien. You can't claim biens is popular due to that.

in any case, I do think it has value, but I don't think it is anywhere near as common as you think - it would have much higher searches and CPC if it were the predominant word for "goods" as used in English. Plus being a dot net, I would expect $xxx to be the max for it. But I deal more with the English market, so I would welcome someone more familiar with that to disagree!

EDIT: Attached screenshot from Google Translate

Attachments

• bien-001.png
    bien-001.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 23
•••

Anyway, yuo're right for Google AdWords Planner in France: "biens" = 480 - Low - 0.00

biens isn't an attractive word!

:xf.smile:

•••
In French biens (plural) would translate as estate, goods, belongings...
example: biens immobiliers, biens personnels, biens publics

This name is too generic and too vague. I can't really see an obvious purpose for this one.
Plus, the aftermarket for French domains is tiny.

bien != biens

•••
See if the people that use telephonehardware.com as a redirect want your domain.

Good Luck

•••
In French biens (plural) would translate as estate, goods, belongings...
example: biens immobiliers, biens personnels, biens publics

This name is too generic and too vague. I can't really see an obvious purpose for this one.
Plus, the aftermarket for French domains is tiny.

bien != biens

Hi Kate, hope you see this, I just had a quick question for clarification. I'm fairly new to domaining and you seem to know your stuff.

If "Goods.net or Estates.net" were to become available, surely it would sell for $X,XXX minimum, right? The term "Biens" is generic, but it's extremely memorable for a native French speaker and easily passes the radio test, so I'm slightly confused why you believe that it's "too generic". Generic terms such as "Oil.com" or "Business.com" seem to sell for small fortunes all the time. I understand that French keywords don't have as much of a demand, but it's confusing to me why you believe that there might be no French commerce firms out there interested in a generic domain.

Thanks in advance!

•••
I studied French for 5 years, while biens is technically acceptable it is seldom used to refer to products. "Produit" and "Marchandise" are commonly used.

Also remember it's a French word, and the French use their ccTLD a lot (.fr). There isn't really a market for the name but you might squeeze something out of it. Good luck.

•••
If "Goods.net or Estates.net" were to become available, surely it would sell for $X,XXX minimum, right?
Not sure. Possible, but I wouldn't pay that.

The term "Biens" is generic, but it's extremely memorable for a native French speaker
The thing is, I can't see a clear use for this domain, what kind of business do you see on this name ?

and easily passes the radio test
In fact, 'biens' is pronounced the same as 'bien' (singular) :)

, so I'm slightly confused why you believe that it's "too generic". Generic terms such as "Oil.com" or "Business.com" seem to sell for small fortunes all the time. I understand that French keywords don't have as much of a demand, but it's confusing to me why you believe that there might be no French commerce firms out there interested in a generic domain.
There is a huge gap in value between French and English domains. And this is a .net, bringing the value further down. I read DNJ every week, and on a good week you will see no more than 5 French domains. Often it's just one, two, or none.

I know how to develop oil, business or another generic keyword. These names have a clear purpose and belong to well-defined industries. But I don't know what to do with belongings or merchandise, which imo are the more accurate translations for the keyword. Estate would usually translate as patrimoine in French, that is your monetary and real estate assets. 'Les biens' usually refers to the possessions of a person (for example a deceased person), meaning belongings.

Belongings isn't a very sexy keyword.

•••
Patrimoine is a heritage/ historical site. Immobilier is real estate.....biens is still a more borderline name to have. I'd be wary of regging .coms with less than 1000 monthly searches in any french....a good way to check for marketability is if the .fr and any other tld is registered and for two word names...check the hyphen..they seem to like those a lot like the germans.

•••
The French will happily buy a hyphenated domain to cut out the middleman (if the name they want is taken). Selling a French domain, whether hyphenated or non-hyphenated is not easy in general because the market is more limited than that for English domain (and I think the French are stingy).
But the French sales that I spot are almost always for non-hyphenated domains.

PS: funnily Patrimonial.fr sold for €5,500 two months ago I think.

•••
The French will happily buy a hyphenated domain to cut out the middleman (if the name they want is taken). Selling a French domain, whether hyphenated or non-hyphenated is not easy in general because the market is more limited than that for English domain (and I think the French are stingy).
But the French sales that I spot are almost always for non-hyphenated domains.

PS: funnily Patrimonial.fr sold for €5,500 two months ago I think.
It depends on whether or not the name is hyphenated in regular use or not. A study by AFNIC in 2010 showed that 33% of .FR domains contain one or more hyphens, so not only do they like them...it seems like they are very common in their namespace.

https://www.afnic.fr/medias/documents/afnic-french-domain-name-report-2010.pdf

Page: 28

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back