Dynadot

domains Pheenix goes to public auctions on multiple backorders

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just received this in the mail,

Pheenix said:
3. Public Auctions coming September 19th.

All domains that have multiple backorders on it will now be available for Public Bidding for any backorders being released on or after 2015-09-19.

As a precondition, if someone did not have a backorder on the domain name prior to it going to auction, their minimum bid is at least $59 in order to participate in the auction.

I predicted on NP's that other backorder companies would change their model. Of course I was thinking of SnapNames/Namjet. So Pheenix were the first one to do it. Makes sense, imho.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the fact is *someone* has to do it or else there would be no auctions for people to bid on. personally i am going to give more of my business to snapnames.

I think your strategy is flawed. SnapNames, or anybody else really, cannot compete with DropCatch. I don't know the percentage of all drop-caught domains Dropcatch actually catches, but it's substantial. Probably well over 50%. But that's just a guess. It could be very much higher.

•••
Yesterday Dropcatch caught a name I wanted. I didn't want to use their service to get the domain because I didn't want to pay a bunch of money for it when other domainers jumped into the auction and drove the price up. The name is now listed at HugeDomains for $2,395. In hindsight I should have just backordered the domain and fought it out with whoever else jumped in the auction because I know it would not have gone up to $2,395.

The only way you can really get the name you want is to use Dropcatch. It sucks but it's our only option now. Pheenix made a bad move because they can't compete with the Dropcatch model. They may be cheaper but in no way are they as successful in obtaining names. I believe Pheenix will have to go back to the old model soon to stay in business. With a choice between two identical services why would you use Pheenix.

@hookbox -This is the proof of the pudding in what I have been saying for some time.

I think Pheenix will thrive under their new model with more registrars and public auctions on multiple backordered names. There is always a place for differentiated Premium and Cheap Services. I'm going to increase my backordering with Pheenix.

•••
Why would I pay for a drop catching service, only to have the domain go to public auction?

Not gonna happen...

•••
that is the risk with using dropcatch. had you backordered it, you would of been the only backorder and got it for 59 bucks but if just one other person in the world backorders it, suddenly its open game for anyone to come in and jack the price up. they can be great if you're the only backorder but you never know if you are going to be or not. i've used dropcatch in the past and i've caught a few names with them but every time one goes to auction, i just forget about it because its always goes beyond what i am willing to spend/what its worth.

We all would like to continue to win backorders at cheap prices. But when DropCatch has such a commanding share of the market, you really have to go with the leading drop-catcher. Even to be just in the hunt. In the short term I'm going to increase my backordering at DropCatch also. Hoping to get lucky as the only backorder. There is one other reason for me to go back to Dropcatch. That is to squeeze HugeDomains out of the game. Well I cannot do that all on my lonesome.

•••
Why would I pay for a drop catching service, only to have the domain go to public auction?

Not gonna happen...

You are thinking in the past. The paradigm has changed. Also you are not actually paying for a drop-catching service unless you win the domain/auction.

•••
We all would like to continue to win backorders at cheap prices. But when DropCatch has such a commanding share of the market, you really have to go with the leading drop-catcher. Even to be just in the hunt. In the short term I'm going to increase my backordering at DropCatch also. Hoping to get lucky as the only backorder. There is one other reason for me to go back to Dropcatch. That is to squeeze HugeDomains out of the game. Well I cannot do that all on my lonesome.
are you really going to backorder at dropcatch or just jump onto auctions? you seem to be very pro public auctions which would only make sense if you don't do your own research.

•••
I think your strategy is flawed. SnapNames, or anybody else really, cannot compete with DropCatch. I don't know the percentage of all drop-caught domains Dropcatch actually catches, but it's substantial. Probably well over 50%. But that's just a guess. It could be very much higher.
backordering with dropcatch is pointless when the domains go to auction and beyond the price i would pay. then i just get nothing.

•••
are you really going to backorder at dropcatch or just jump onto auctions? you seem to be very pro public auctions which would only make sense if you don't do your own research.

I have never bid on an auction which I didn't backorder in my entire life. Any domain I have ever backordered, I have done my own research. You miss the whole point. I'm not supporting public auctions on multiple backorders, per se. I'm saying there has been a paradigm shift. Most backorders are won by Dropcatch. So if you don't order at DropCatch, you are sub-optimizing your chances of catching the domain.. Of course there will always be exceptions. Some you may catch because there are no other backorders. Some you will not catch because you choose not to participate in the ensuing auction. Also, your bid at DropCatch prevent's our biggest nightmare competitor, HugeDomains, from going after the domain.

But you seem bent on not being able to accept any advice on this subject without supposing I don't do my own research and want to jump on others research bidding on their backorder. Which would be currently pointless, given the very sad state of available auctions at DropCatch.

Yep. I just backordered 2 domain at DropCatch today for the first time in well over a year, which I have also backordered at Pheenix. not to test who catches them, since I don't think Pheenix are up to speed with all their new registers. But because I felt their quality is better than what Pheenix usually catches.

•••
So if I'm interested in bidding on a domain, why wouldn't I just wait for the auction, wherever it lands?

Why should I tie up my money when an auction is going to thousands of eyeballs anyway?

I don't get it, paradigm shift or not.

•••
I am going to do my impression of HeyNow (hope he doesn't mind)

You back order an obscure domain you think your the only one watching.

Then before you know it there another player and the domain on public auction.

Domaining will always be getting harder. Expect that.

•••
backordering with dropcatch is pointless when the domains go to auction and beyond the price i would pay. then i just get nothing.

Well. Like it or not. This is the free market at work. You are welcome to use Snapnames instead. But it's probable that the backorder at DropCatch or HugeDomains will win the domain. So all your precious and hard research has still gone for naught. Sorry. But I don't see the upside of ignoring DropCatch backordering.

•••
I don't see the upside to paying for a back order at Pheenix or Dropcatch if the auction is going to be public anyway.

Explain to me WHY I should tie up my money with these companies.

•••
So if I'm interested in bidding on a domain, why wouldn't I just wait for the auction, wherever it lands?

Why should I tie up my money when an auction is going to thousands of eyeballs anyway?

I don't get it, paradigm shift or not.

Your primary motive is to dropcatch a domain. Not to bid on an auction. Since DropCatch catches most domains either for HugeDomains or other drop-catchers, it seems ludicrous for you not to employ them to try and catch the domain. As I have already stated. You don't have any money "tied-up" in dropcatches or auctions. It's entirely up to you if you try to win the domain at public auction.

•••
I don't see the upside to paying for a back order at Pheenix or Dropcatch if the auction is going to be public anyway.

If you really want the name it is your only choice.

•••
I am going to do my impression of HeyNow (hope he doesn't mind)

You back order an obscure domain you think your the only one watching.

Then before you know it there another player and the domain on public auction.

Domaining will always be getting harder. Expect that.

I would say that was a very poor impression :)

•••
I still don't see it.

Who cares who catches the domain?

Heck, if the domain is of lower quality (but something that you want), you might even be able to hand reg it.

But it's your dough, Stub, and if you want someone else to make interest on it, well, it's free enterprise.

•••

For the 3rd and final time. You have no money tied up in a backorder or an auction. You don't pay for a backorder unless you win the auction.

•••
If you really want the name it is your only choice.

Really?

There are hundreds of drop catchers, no?

Wow, you guys are desperate.

•••
For the 3rd and final time. You have no money tied up in a backorder or an auction. You don't pay for a backorder unless you win the auction.

Don't you have to pay for back orders up front?

If not, then okay. That makes some kind of sense.

•••
Because of these companies the flip market is going to change from a buy-flip to buy-hold-flip. The extra money that has to be spent at these services because of more bidders is more money that has to be recouped. The quick flip is going to be a thing of the past I believe.

•••
@Ms Domainer - Yes but only 1 who captures between 50-90% of drop-caught domains.

•••
Don't you have to pay for back orders up front?

If not, then okay. That makes some kind of sense.

Please tell me any backorderer who charges for the backorder upfront. Not DropCatch, not SnapNames, not NameJet, not Pheenix, not Dynadot. In fact I cannot think of any except maybe, BackOrderZone?

Last edited:
•••
Please tell me any backorderer who charges for the backorder upfront. Not DropCatch, not SnapNames, not NameJet, not Pheenix, not Dynadot. In fact I cannot think of any except maybe, BackOrderZone?

Hexonet and Name and Backorderzone

•••
Sounds a bit weird to me. We're using Dropcatch.com to fight....HugeDomains ? :xf.grin:

•••
Yesterday Dropcatch caught a name I wanted. I didn't want to use their service to get the domain because I didn't want to pay a bunch of money for it when other domainers jumped into the auction and drove the price up. The name is now listed at HugeDomains for $2,395. In hindsight I should have just backordered the domain and fought it out with whoever else jumped in the auction because I know it would not have gone up to $2,395.

Yeah, and the real kick in the groin is that HugeDomains is paying pheenix prices to catch these names with DorpCatch by using the Discount Club Beta since they are a premium customer. So if there was no backorder, and HugeDomains picks it up, they snatched it for under $15, whereas everyone else has to place a $59/$69 dollar backorder. They have been snatching low price high resale value names i've had my eye on for the past month using DC and paying a fraction of what most of us would have to pay.

It's a dirty dirty game out there with DC.

Drop auction prices could well increase to the point where flipping is no longer viable. Every auctioned domain will need a development plan to make a profit.

This is inevitable for domaining, and will happen within the next 6 years, maybe sooner with the awareness campaign of the gTLD program.

It's similar to the concept of market saturation. Domaining is profitable due to market inefficiency, eventually the rest of the world will catch up.

That's why it's important to start NOW. Even someone that starts today can be successful, but in a few years time that will be over.

If you really think about it, out of the 7 billion people on this planet how many serious domainers do you see that do this day-to-day; maybe 500 - 1000 - and thats a high estimate. When 'big' names drop there are only about 200 - 350 people that have placed a backorder.

Conversely, if someone dropped a 60lb palate of one-hundred dollar bills in a mall parking lot, there would be more people tearing at that payload than there were at the last high value domain drop. People know the value of money, but don't know about domains.

Most business are still clueless about domains, which means the general population has an ever lower knowledge of domains. Have you ever received a $40 offer for a domain you paid at least $400 for; most of the times it's not a negotiation strategy - it's just ignorance.

Domaining is not over saturated yet, and it won't be for at least 6 years, but every year those .COM's get more and more expensive; despite our precious gTLD program.

I predicted on NP's that other backorder companies would change their model. Of course I was thinking of SnapNames/Namjet. So Pheenix were the first one to do it. Makes sense, imho.

I agree, saw this one coming with a DC service as well - they will all do it eventually.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/will-not-use-dropcatch-com.855123/
this is the evolution of dropcatching, you better get your names where you can and hold on tight. I never thought I would find myself saying, "I wish NameJet caught that one."

It will be some time for SN and NJ, because they have access to higher quality names and they don't have to rely on the same business model as DC and PHE.

It makes sense for Pheenix, they were almost on their last leg. It's a shame, because Pheenix was pretty much giving away caught domain names, 90% of the time if you caught a name with them or got one through their 'shop' it was a heck of a deal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back