Dynadot

domains Pheenix goes to public auctions on multiple backorders

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I just received this in the mail,

Pheenix said:
3. Public Auctions coming September 19th.

All domains that have multiple backorders on it will now be available for Public Bidding for any backorders being released on or after 2015-09-19.

As a precondition, if someone did not have a backorder on the domain name prior to it going to auction, their minimum bid is at least $59 in order to participate in the auction.

I predicted on NP's that other backorder companies would change their model. Of course I was thinking of SnapNames/Namjet. So Pheenix were the first one to do it. Makes sense, imho.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of the 2 backorders placed at DropCatch. 1 captured by DropCatch, 1 captured by UnifiedServers. I've no idea who UnifiedServers are.

The one caught by DropCatch had 2 bidders and so is in Auction. Lets see how it ends up.

Last edited:
•••
Of the 2 backorders placed at DropCatch. 1 captured by DropCatch, 1 captured by UnifiedServers. I've no idea who UnifiedServers are.

Looks like SN, I see their name and UnifiedServers appearing together in search results.

•••
Please tell me any backorderer who charges for the backorder upfront. Not DropCatch, not SnapNames, not NameJet, not Pheenix, not Dynadot. In fact I cannot think of any except maybe, BackOrderZone?

Name.com does, but I understand that they accept only one back order per domain.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
Public auctions is a rip off for domainers.
At least, they could do public auctions for any domain with at least 10 bids, not just 2...

•••
Hexonet and Name and Backorderzone

What saving qualities do these three have which would make you want to use them?

•••
Name.com does, but I understand that they accept only one back order per domain.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any idea what their success rate is?

•••
Sounds a bit weird to me. We're using Dropcatch.com to fight....HugeDomains ? :xf.grin:

Well it's a side effect of using DropCatch, which I 100% approve of.

•••
Well it's a side effect of using DropCatch, which I 100% approve of.

But, let's face it, when your discount-club-backorder goes to one DC's partner, don't you ever wonder if that domain was actually in their list ? Or they simply prefer to have the domain rather than your $15 ?

I don't mean this as an accusation or anything. It is an inevitable thought, due to the conflict of interests.

•••

The one caught by DropCatch had 2 bidders and so is in Auction. Lets see how it ends up.

UnifiedServers appears to be registered under LogicBoxes...Since LogicBoxes offers Registrar Setup Services it's hard to tell if that is some individual who setup his/her own registrar through LogicBoxes, or if it's actually LogicBoxes themselves. I thought at one time I had read LogicBoxes or one of the companies they setup allocated some of their resources to SN or NJ - but can't remember exactly.

•••
What saving qualities do these three have which would make you want to use them?

All are pretty much dead. Hexonet is good for .cc. Name was good because it's an exclusive backorder - if they catch it, it's yours, no auctions. Backorderzone isn't catching much these days, but they'll pull off a nice catch every once in a while. They're best for domains with lower competition, a small notch above Dynadot.

Last edited:
•••
But, let's face it, when your discount-club-backorder goes to one DC's partner, don't you ever wonder if that domain was actually in their list ? Or they simply prefer to have the domain rather than your $15 ?

I don't mean this as an accusation or anything. It is an inevitable thought, due to the conflict of interests.

Well IMHO, DropCatch created the Discount Club precisely because they were being excluded from the full priced drop-catching in the hope to entice members to the lower pricing where they get first dibs at the domains. It sounds a tad desperate to me. So maybe domainers backordering at DropCatch was having a negative effect on their business ;)

•••

Asfas, I had exactly the same feelings. After using the discount-club backorders for a couple weeks, I began to question whether they were just looking at the domains backordered and just taking what they liked for themselves. It might be legit, but it felt sketchy.

•••
All are pretty much dead. Hexonet is good for .cc. Name was good because it's an exclusive backorder - if they catch it, it's yours, no auctions. Backorderzone isn't catching much these days, but they'll pull off a nice catch every once in a while. They're best for domains with lower competition, a small notch above Dynadot.

I would say this post is pretty accurate..From observations I have made looking up names in the past, Hexonet/Name.com/DynaDot are probably making most of their money from non-VeriSign extensions. I've seen both Hexonet and Name.com catch some really good triple premium LLL.co domains (I'm talking pronounceable and Western premium LLL.co)...Hexonet catches them and usually puts them on their marketplace site PremiumSale, Name.com appears to catch them for users. Along with that, I've seen DynaDot catch things like NNN.info.. Pheenix chases .CC as well, but I have seen Hexonet show up for .CC's in the past too. Believe it or not, there is indeed a market outside of COM/NET. It might not be as big, but yes, those types of domains do get backordered as well. To go along with that, DropCatch doesn't compete for those! ;) ....I rarely see BackorderZone when looking up domains, not for anything lol

•••
Actually Dynadot does public auctions, as well for the few that they catch.

I checked this statement with DynaDot Support. Here is what they said...
Dynadot said:
That is a change which will likely be made in the future, but has not taken place yet. We will update our website and help files if/when it goes live.

•••
On a side note... Just a few of the LLL.co (and others) I've talked about drop caught recently..
Moo.co - User Backorder - Hexonet
ips.co - User Backorder - Hexonet
QWC.cc - User Backorder - Name.com
Rim.co - User Backorder - Hexonet
TVJ.CC - User Backorder - DynaDot
Liverpool.tv - User Backorder - Name.com

•••
Any idea what their success rate is?

I don't know, but a year or two, Name caught a premium domain (I think it was toothpaste [com] or something like that, dental related), and from I understand, they honored their policy and awarded the domain to the person who back ordered it.

It was kind of major news; perhaps someone here has a better memory than me.

:)

•••
Indeed, NameCom no-auctions backorders are looking fine. With about 10 registrars they are not competetive anyway. But miracles do still happen - earlier this year they grabbed FortyOne dot com which I was watching. Very brandable, on internettraffic right now... I am sure it was backordered on DropCatch and SnapNames (at least by myself). And even godaddy once grabbed 3-letter com in early 200x. These were the days, somebody got it in no auctions format which was available on GoDaddy many years ago

•••
Name.com catches very little, yes a blind squirrel can find an acorn but it is very rare, they once lost out on one I had back ordered to an individual Chinese registrant and his own drop script. They do take the $50 upfront very annoying actually because I know they are not going to catch 99 out of 100 domains.

•••
I don't know, but a year or two, Name caught a premium domain (I think it was toothpaste [com] or something like that, dental related), and from I understand, they honored their policy and awarded the domain to the person who back ordered it.

It was kind of major news; perhaps someone here has a better memory than me.

I believe you're thinking of Mouthwash.com - I made a post about that back when it dropped Here... They did indeed catch it.

•••
I believe you're thinking of Mouthwash.com - I made a post about that back when it dropped Here... They did indeed catch it.

Thank you! I knew it had something to do with dental products.

•••
I checked this statement with DynaDot Support. Here is what they said...

Sorry for the wrong information. I assumed that those bidding were general public and not just the back order bidders.

•••
Sorry for the wrong information. I assumed that those bidding were general public and not just the back order bidders.

The only auctions they currently have is for their expiring domains, Pre-Release Auctions, not for any Pending Delete auctions.

Which brings up a good point. A lot of Pending Delete Auctions were once Pre-Release Auctions. GoDaddy, SnapNames, NameJet, Dynadot. To name four off the top of my head. You should be placing your bids in the Pre-Release stage to capture these domains. Why? Because DropCatch/HugeDomains are not present in the Pre-Release Auctions. These are all Public Auctions, which may not sit right with the purists like @Jasonn, who seem to thrive on stealth.

It's the one weapon in SnapNames/NamJet armory where they are superior to DropCatch.

•••
The only auctions they currently have is for their expiring domains, Pre-Release Auctions, not for any Pending Delete auctions.

Which brings up a good point. A lot of Pending Delete Auctions were once Pre-Release Auctions. GoDaddy, SnapNames, NameJet, Dynadot. To name four off the top of my head. You should be placing your bids in the Pre-Release stage to capture these domains. Why? Because DropCatch/HugeDomains are not present in the Pre-Release Auctions. These are all Public Auctions, which may not sit right with the purists like @Jasonn, who seem to thrive on stealth.

It's the one weapon in SnapNames/NamJet armory where they are superior to DropCatch.

That's a great point.. Oh, and the domains will keep their age too (if you're into the sort of thing) haha :P

Actually, you probably find the best gems in the pre-release lists. You can see the ones which will never make it to Pending Delete status.

•••
@FPForum - Actually I'm often amazed the quality of the domains which go through Pre-Release Auctions and then get fought over as Pending Deletes. I blame @Jasonn, Joke :) But in theory all the best Pending Deletes could have been picked up as Pre-Release. There are some exceptions for those domains at registrars which don't have any agreements with Auctioneers like SnapNames/NameJet.

You can see the ones which will never make it to Pending Delete status... they all have bids on them. But you always run into the problem that current owners can see the offers and renew their domains, themselves. Dang... is nothing fair in this in this community? :)

•••
@FPForum - Actually I'm often amazed the quality of the domains which go through Pre-Release Auctions and then get fought over as Pending Deletes. I blame @Jasonn, Joke :) But in theory all the best Pending Deletes could have been picked up as Pre-Release. There are some exceptions for those domains at registrars which don't have any agreements with Auctioneers like SnapNames/NameJet.

You can see the ones which will never make it to Pending Delete status... they all have bids on them. But you always run into the problem that current owners can see the offers and renew their domains, themselves. Dang... is nothing fair in this in this community? :)

Totally agree, and for those who don't already know. This is where you can download the Pre-Release lists:
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Downloads.aspx
https://www.snapnames.com/download.jsp

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back