Dynadot

People trying to sell domains before buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wormfood

----Top Member
Impact
I was selling a domain here (fixed price) and wanted to receive payment through paypal. Someone told me they don't have paypal and wanted to use undeveloped. I didn't really mind and agreed..But thn they were rather pushy about getting the domain into their own undeveloped account, which can't happen until the transaction is complete. I happened to check their old posts and noticed that they do have listings here where they receive payment through paypal, so no paypal was a lie? Less than 24 hours after the transaction closed at undeveloped, they report the domain sold by "outbound" and through undeveloped.
the transaction at undeveloped started on Friday evening est and officially completed yesterday.
So I was suspicious that they had already emailed people and sold it before buying. It seems unlikely that someone would be so eager to get the domain and keep asking to get it into their undeveloped account if they hadn't already sold it.
have you ever found out that someone was doing this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, I havn't heard something like that before.

•••
Well there’s nothing wrong per se with having something pre-sold before buying it if that’s what you’re complaining about.

•••
That is some genius work...
There seems lots more ideas to cheat / benefit improperly / unethically...

Thanks for sharing...

I can't ask you to reveal the name...but it will be a great way keep away from these type of issues by piintipo out who it is..

But I guess you can share fiull details to moderator and let them take action...

•••
I didn't write complaints here :xf.laugh:
just observations.

I suppose people could be doing this with high value domains. If I owned a nice 4L.com where 4L+group.com, 4L+design.com, 4L.co.uk, whatever, and many others all have websites, then someone could come along and ask for my price..And then go and email or call all these companies asking for double that..And then if someone agrees to buy via escrow.com and I agree to sell, they set up a "brokered" transaction and get the money with no real risk.
But if nobody wants to buy at the sender's price (or significantly above mine), then my domain was just sent to all these potential buyers..who might be put off by it.

•••
I believe trying to sell something you don't own is totally cheating...there is no other explanation for this...a decent and legitimate way is to talk about domains you own when you are trying to sell...

This applies to brokerage too...that's why they get prior permission from domain owner...

I read the same situation occurred with eNaming I believe...people made fun of her and criticised for bad practices..(don't remember owner name)
That is because of listing names in their marketplaces (actually it is brokerage service) without informing or getting permission from domain owner...

The owner found out about this through Google search result...

I believe this story is same and it is definitely bad practice!

•••
If he's a member here, there is no reason not to say who he is. I'd like to know for sure.

•••
I don't do it, it doesn't feel right, could result in unwanted scenarios, that said, it does happen & "technically" its not "wrong".

imo

•••
Last edited:
•••
Happens. Don't be shy, name names

I was selling a domain here (fixed price) and wanted to receive payment through paypal. Someone told me they don't have paypal and wanted to use undeveloped. I didn't really mind and agreed..But thn they were rather pushy about getting the domain into their own undeveloped account, which can't happen until the transaction is complete. I happened to check their old posts and noticed that they do have listings here where they receive payment through paypal, so no paypal was a lie? Less than 24 hours after the transaction closed at undeveloped, they report the domain sold by "outbound" and through undeveloped.
the transaction at undeveloped started on Friday evening est and officially completed yesterday.
So I was suspicious that they had already emailed people and sold it before buying. It seems unlikely that someone would be so eager to get the domain and keep asking to get it into their undeveloped account if they hadn't already sold it.
have you ever found out that someone was doing this?

•••
Well there’s nothing wrong per se with having something pre-sold before buying it if that’s what you’re complaining about.

Risky for the front-runner and deceptive to buyer.

•••
No i don't think its right at all, members spamming endusers with your name - could really tarnish your reputation and name.

You want to broker a name, you need to be upfront with the owner and get their permission first... period.

if i had found out someone was illegally brokering my names i would deny all sales to them and work at getting them banned

Last edited:
•••
Should i list my Neighbors car for sale without telling him?

•••

You guys are naive and uninformed if you don’t believe that this sort of thing has been going on since the dawn of civilization. And all the OP describes is outbound inquiries not necessarily a specific “listing.”

I get offered domains to broker almost daily. Before I decide to accept the listing I’m not allowed to make inquiries of my clients? How far is your feeling that “I don’t think it’s right” supposed to go?

Last edited:
•••
What if they brokering domains on sedo or afternic buy now. Do you think it's illegal?

•••
risky, lets say;

1. you pre sell a name xyz123example.com to a potential buyer for $300 (that you dont currently own).

2. you then go to buy the name you saw listed for $200 and find out it was an old listing on sedo (happens all the time) and is no longer available or they cant contact the owner...or the owner of the name now wants $1000 for his name

3. now you are stuck, you entered into a binding agreement with the buyer for $300 and now you cant deliver. So what are you going to do now?!?!?!?

i found this answer online, selling something you dont own and cant produce can get you into trouble.

...open yourself wide open to a lawsuit for fraud,

https://www.lawguru.com/legal-quest...law/sell-sells-refuse-refund-money-587454051/

Last edited:
•••
risky, lets say;

1. you pre sell a name xyz123example.com to a potential buyer for $300 (that you dont currently own).

2. you then go to buy the name you saw listed for $200 and find out it was an old listing on sedo (happens all the time) and is no longer available or they cant contact the owner...or the owner of the name now wants $1000 for his name

3. now you are stuck, you entered into a binding agreement with the buyer for $300 and now you cant deliver. So what are you going to do now?!?!?!?
thats why you will always need double face
one face ready to be wiped out
while the other face were to be keep still on here... as long as you have good reputation on namepros, it would be just fine LOL

•••
I believe trying to sell something you don't own is totally cheating...there is no other explanation for this...

Bill Gates and DOS springs to mind.

As for cheating. Did anyone get their arms twisted to sell? Sounds like capitalism to me.

•••
Here the words are twisted... actually the words are not at all from owner of domain...

So what is question here?

Who in the world have a right to pitch the name that belongs to someone else and that someone is not aware of this and doesn't get any benefit of this...

It's that simple.

That's what I am saying

•••
to elaborate a bit,

Friday 5:34 PM: first pm about this domain

Friday 6:17 PM: Please remove domain from undeveloped - so i can add to my account undeveloped -

me: It's not listed under 'portfolio' anymore. guess we have to wait til the transaction completes.

Saturday 2:46 PM: ... ' - could you check domain in undeveloped , i think domain still in your account of undeveloped - please remove if possible .'

:xf.rolleyes:

me: ...I send screenshots showing it's not under 'portfolio'

Tuesday 3:02 PM: Have you removed domain from Undeveloped.com ?

:ROFL:

Today, Wednesday, 1:25 AM: https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-666#post-7007412

what happened was he asked me to just push directly to him. I asked him if this would be okay with undeveloped, and he said it would be fine..if we tell undeveloped what we did. then undeveloped asked me to please not do it this way again :xf.laugh:

It's possible that it wasn't sold earlier: maybe after he paid and I pushed, he was emailing people over the weekend and made a really fast sale.
But medigroup.org isn't like a geo+service domain with 100 end users :xf.laugh: I didn't think someone would be that eager to start selling.

It just got me thinking about what people might be doing.

also, I listed the domain for $35, and after we agreed, they said "But please make invoice of $30 i can pay max $30 via undeveloped.com" :xf.laugh::wtf: I shouldn't have agreed to it, but I didn't feel like arguing over $5. it's not a big deal, just funny.

Last edited:
•••
You guys are naive and uninformed if you don’t believe that this sort of thing has been going on since the dawn of civilization. And all the OP describes is outbound inquiries not necessarily a specific “listing.”

I get offered domains to broker almost daily. Before I decide to accept the listing I’m not allowed to make inquiries of my clients? How far is your feeling that “I don’t think it’s right” supposed to go?

Just because something is somewhat common doesn't mean it's ethical. If you represent yourself as the owner of something you don't own, you're a liar. If you can't close the deal, you're a fraud.

•••
@wormfood doesn't even know for sure what happened.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
risky, lets say;

i found this answer online, selling something you dont own and cant produce can get you into trouble.

...open yourself wide open to a lawsuit for fraud,

https://www.lawguru.com/legal-quest...law/sell-sells-refuse-refund-money-587454051/
Yes, but unless it a fairly big $$$ domain, the "buyer" isn't going to make much of an effort (i.e. spend a lot of time or money) to seek compensation -- especially when the parties will likely be in different geographic locations.

•••
the dollar amount was just an example, it could be $x,xxx, $xx,xxx, $x,xxx,xxx

i was just pointing out a major pitfall to that line of business.

Lets say it was $200,000... does that make it more right or wrong?

Last edited:
•••
Back