Dynadot

discuss Over 1000 Domain Extensions...Is .Com 1000 Times Better Now?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are The Over 1000 Extensions Making .Com More Or Less Valuable?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • More Valuable

votes
    58.1%
  • Less Valuable

votes
    22.6%
  • Apples And Oranges

votes
    9.7%
  • No Difference

votes
    9.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
With there being over 1000 domain extensions, just seems like .com domains are even more valuable. Not saying other extensions don't have their value, but I am a bit overwhelmed by all the new extensions.

Here's a screenshot of a domain name search with all the results. May not even be all of them. It's like ICANN is taking every word in the dictionary and making extensions.

Here are a few new ones in pre-registration:
.zip
.you
.web
.talk
.sport
.skin
.seek
.secure
.search
.scholarship
.safety
.safe
.rsvp
.room
.read
.prod
.play
.ping
.pin
.phone
.pay
.page
.now
.new
.music
.mobile
.mls
.map

and so on....

I think it makes people just want a .com. I could be wrong. I do own new gtlds and cctlds.

Let's take a vote.

Attachments

• screencapture-uniteddomains-searchresult-1511709983898.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Excluding .org . .Com is 999 Times Better

•••
95% of all businesses use .com

I’d think that having so many other choices would erode the popularity of .com but apparently not so much.

Last edited:
•••
Flooding the market with inferior options does not generally effect the value of the best option in a negative way.

If you have .COM you don't need any other extensions. If you have another extension, if successful, you will eventually likely try to upgrade to .COM.

More websites launch on .COM daily than on all new extensions combined. The lead keeps growing.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
If you have another extension, if successful, you will eventually likely try to upgrade to .COM

This pretty much nails the matter. Any company that buys one of those ersatz extensions for its website is doing so because it couldn’t find anything good it could afford in dot com.

•••
No doubt , the .com extension cannot be ignored. It is stored in back memory of all people.
Every one who knows a domain name and don't remember its extension, will start searching from .com . So the .com is the first step of the ladder. Can anyone reaches the last step(top)
without the first step !!! Really the .com is the king of all extensions .

•••
I have some .coms where the other extensions are in use. And they dont even offer for the .com. wthk!

•••
Dotcom is obviously going to receive some of the traffic for another extension. This has happened to me I don't know how many times when trying to visit the .net for example and I instinctively go to the .com instead.

•••
I think the new extensions especially add value to [mid-higher value] .com in that if someone starts with a lower priced new extension and are successful in getting their startup off the ground with that, they'll often want the .com to grow further with. Having proven to themselves that their business can be successful even with a new extension, they're willing to pay more for the .com than they otherwise might have, or otherwise have been able to. They'll more likely have the cash flow or investment $ to pay with. jmo

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back