NameSilo

Why prefer ccTLD over .com

Labeled as question in Domain Extensions, started by aliweb, Jun 7, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. wizard

wizard Domain Wizard PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

CCTLDS have always been good for me i have sold several thousands of them and people in the UK love co.uk as lots of them dont need the .com its as simple as that !

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. King

King Investor & Creator VIP Gold Account

European countries seem to be the ones that prefer to use their country's extension unless they are international.

3. redemo

redemo Established Member

What is the obsession with .com? If you are a domain investor at the highest level, a business in U.S. and A. or international brand I get it. Dot com. Sure, businesses in other countries should register the .com and .net for type in and to stop competitors. But there are so many reasons not to use .com in U.K. First off the bat we TRUST co.uk over .com. Next we can IDENTIFY it's (probably) a U.K. based company. Next co.uk is far better for SEARCH engine ranking. Finally it's just always been that way and like others have said the average small to medium business in U.K. couldn't give two hoots about .com. I actively encourage S.M.E.'s to grab the .com and .net and redirect to co.uk. Some argue they are a window cleaning company in Nuneaton so why would they need the American one?

By the way, as you've witnessed throughout history, we'll do what we want.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  4. Corey

Corey GDBR. com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

In Australia our ccTLD is .com.au

For commercial entities, such as companies (with an ABN or ACN as registered through ASIC), and businesses (registered with state governments).

Cheers
    Corey

5. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

6. redemo

7. redemo

Local and medium sized companies in U.K. don't need .com but it's a good idea to register and redirect to co.uk.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  8. Future Sensors

Knowing the British a bit, I would have expected at least some of these URLs to redirect to the super strong .co.uk brand. But looking at this from across the canal (hello!) I think they both look completely fine.

When I grew up with Paddington Bear, this cute little bear didn't even have a personal website yet. Furthermore, .co.uk is not in my system as it is with the British themselves :xf.smile:

9. NUMDN

NUMDN Restricted (Market) Blue Account

I would say they are either un-aware about the world wide web (www) or have very little knowledge about internet/digital world. I do agree the business should prefer to broadcast its business on the web with its country code extension but not registering .com and not forwarding it to ccTLD shows that the business entity has very little knowledge about internet/digital world.

10. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

11. redemo

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking .com. It's just that co.uk is better for a U.K. only enterprise that's all.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  12. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Top Contributor VIP

Google uses Google.co.in and similarly many corporations uses ccTLD extension. It gives local credibility. I think a company must take control of dot com (if available) and also register ccTLD extension. If no dot com is available - then go with ccTLD. But, now adays even getting a decent ccTLD available is difficult.

13. domseocrew

domseocrew Established Member

In some countries it is a MUST.

14. Future Sensors

Can you name those countries?

15. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Contributor VIP

UK, Germany, China, India, Canada... basically any country that has a ccTLD that is still a true ccTLD.

16. Future Sensors

To be clear(er) -

I agree that ccTLDs are the most popular choice in a lot of countries, just like here in .nl.

But a "must"? Not really. Our best known webshop in the Netherlands is Bol.com. It's not a must for being successful.

Sorry for thinking the way I do today :xf.wink:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  17. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Contributor VIP

Well sure, if you are incredibly lucky and already own your core brand in .COM, then maybe not, but that's an extremely rare occurrence, and even then, I don't think you want your ccTLD owned by anyone else, if only because Google gives true ccTLDs a nice local bump in the search results.

And bringing up an ultra-expensive, pronounceable LLL.com like BOL.com as an example of why you don't need a ccTLD is pretty zany. That's top-of-the-line right there, but it obviously represents a tiny percentage of NL companies.

It's similar to Canadian banks, which make billions a year and can easily afford premium domains like TD.com, BMO.com and RBC.com (with most also owning the .CA) but again, that represents a microscopic percentage of CA firms.

The only type that might be excluded are massive multinationals who own their core .COM brand, like Intel (who coincidentally owns Intel.us) or Walmart (who umm... also owns the .US), or Volkswagen (who owns VW.com, along with the .DE, .CA among others), or Sony (who own Sony.jp) or... wait, what were we talking about?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice