IT.COM

discuss Outbounding non-com domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
Has anyone had success outbounding domains which are not .com?

Here's my thought process:

OK so the coms I have are not great and there are very few businesses with similar names. Geos don't count because that's another story.

I'm talking about brandables for example or acronyms. What I notice is that that are some very popular brandable or acronym names. The companies using them will typically have keyword + other stuff . com

They are typically ugly names. Do you think they would take the net or io without the added stuff? Like, for example, Electris.io instead of electrisfoundation.com or something like that. It's just a dumb example.

Another example is 3Ls. LLL.ios are not very expensive but there are lots of companies using LLL+ other stuff .com. Do you think they would take the short versions?

.net and .org work similarly, I guess. Any experience and tips? I've noticed people selling some weird TLDs via outbound so it's not incredibly far fetched, I don't think.

EDIT: I'm not talking about big amounts. Typically $xxx per name. Maybe in some cases low $xxxx but not more.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Just sold a 2 keword brandable .io for $500. I had 4 companies to target, no more. First mail sold it within 2 minutes via Undeveloped. It was a risky investment, and luck was a major factor selling it.

I think outbound is hard enough even with .coms alone, so non .coms are especially risky type of investments.

You may have read my research I posted earlier this month about NP outbound sales, where we learned that out of 201 reported sales 174 was .com (86%). Which indicates that there is obviously chance to sell non .coms, but if you want to strenghten your chances for sales you stay away from non .coms. Unless of course if you are highly tolerant for risky investments.

extensions.png

•••
So you think the way to go is to spend more and go for .coms?
That's kind of the issue for me.

•••
So you think the way to go is to spend more and go for .coms?
That's kind of the issue for me.
If you plan to run an inbound based portfolio, then spend more on quality instead of quantity. If you plan to do outbound, build a list based on in-depth research, but don't buy anything. Know your end user base for all names, and then when you know your names, buy 5 of the best and start working. I usually build a list of 100 names per week, and then buy 5-10 of them, and from that 5 to 10 name pool, 1 sells.

Definitely .coms for outbound.

Selling names is easy, finding the right names are hard. So focus on finding the right ones. Research, analyze, know your names. Then buy.

Last edited:
•••
Stick to .com names that are being dropped with monthly searches. In this case, the outbound approach hits the target easily.

Stay Blesses!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back