Domain Empire

discuss Why does outbounding fail

NameSilo
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
How do we sell domains.

People go to their registrars (don't visit the domain).
Their registrars own the lead, and try to do arbitrage scam, and although it is worse
than shillbidding, it looks legal.
For example, let's say your domain has a lead from GD. What are they supposed to do:
contact you, or if listed at AN, make price request. Sometimes it happens, and works.
What else can happen, they can keep the lead for themselves, or lowball at Sedo, Dan, or Dynadot...

I don't like this situation. I have a domain which is perfect fit for a company and they should be happy to buy it
for 5k. I may get a lowball from someone else, who is probably an agent and won't get anywhere.
(for example after some painful negotiation, we may be nice and sell for low 3 figures, but they won't even pay it)
So I try to contact the company
(one of best fits), what happens: they say, thank you we will contact you in 24 hours.
Meanwhile domain is listed and ready to buy for 1k.
And the worst happens, among all possibilities: They don't reply despite their promise,
but also they don't buy, or make a counteroffer, or even visit the domain.
Instead, they add you to their spam list.

There must be a way to communicate, without talking on the phone (which would count as spam then),
but looks like emails or form-mails under "contact us", or their bot-chat's, .. never work.
Also we never get a feedback , why they never work.

We can educate buyers about everything, and can say,..don't trust me, check for yourself, ..
still it will never work. Reduce the price 100 fold, still won't work.
Only thing that works is, reducing the price when a lowballing agent approaches.
but it is a bad way, once you are known as lowball-accepter, then you will never sell anything for a good price.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the worst happens, among all possibilities: They don't reply despite their promise,
but also they don't buy, or make a counteroffer, or even visit the domain.
Instead, they add you to their spam list.

Which means they're not interested.

So:
A) they're not the perfect buyer/match you thought them to be.
B) you're overpricing the domain.

Sidenote:
Talking over the phone helps a lot. If you're outbounding, don't be afraid to leave your phone number/zoom/skype.

•••
Which means they're not interested.

So:
A) they're not the perfect buyer/match you thought them to be.
B) you're overpricing the domain.

Sidenote:
Talking over the phone helps a lot. If you're outbounding, don't be afraid to leave your phone number/zoom/skype.

This is the point.
A. It is a perfect match for them, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
they have theabc-inc.net, I offer abc.com
B. No, price doesn't matter, they just show no reaction.

I mean, there is no logic at all. Customer service is dumb about domains.

Another possibility, all messages, chats, go to webmaster, who can do anything with those messages, erase/manipulate them. Communications are not secure. Most messages may reach their target, but if they are interesting they may be stopped.

Another possibility: Big tech may not like you. They can block communication, send your messages to spam, send mind manipulating signals to their brains, make your landing pages not resolve,.. they may not even think about all these, ai would handle all.

Last edited:
•••
I have a domain which is perfect fit for a company and they should be happy to buy it
for 5k.

I think that's the biggest misconception. In 99,5% of the cases two things are happening:

1. We don't know what's best for them. We think so, but we simply don't. Many times domainers offer not a better version of their name, but rather alternative, something slight different, - which in reality for the end user will not be even close to their vision.

2. The name is indeed better (no hyphen, shorter, to the point), and they may even understand it, but still see no reason to pay xxxx-xxxxx (or even xxx). And I don't believe you can ''educate'' them, you can put 25 points of why this name is better (and now it's easy with AI), but it's all white noise to them.

Better chance with outbound is selling geo and occupations to relevant people/companies you find on lInkedIn or similar sources, but to me personally it's not worth the time spent for the sell-thru ratio this process provides...

•••
In addition to the above posts, I would advise keeping your expectations far-lower from the outset. There's no point in coming to an agreement with Yourself about what a company should want or need in regard to a domain. I've spent 20 plus years convincing businesses (or sometimes not) about the appropriateness of an alternative domain and even then trying to get them to part with cash is another frustration a lot of the time.

Now, A few times I've had buyers come-back and say how grateful they are that I educated them on the benefits and the difference it's made to the web side of their business (even for re-directs). I treat every business I talk to as an absolute Novice when it comes to domains purely because I've found that's exactly the level they're at.

Sure they have a great looking site, (usually a package build by someone else) business is good etc. But they see you as an incursion on that satisfactory model. Who are you to tell me what I need to be doing ??

My advice is to approach in a 'Suggestive manner' if possible, Just open-up their thinking, nothing more. If you go in with a 'I know best' approach, your going to be shot down. There's a lot I could add about opening up a new contact but each one takes time and an approach appropriate to the business.

I stopped doing outbound a long time ago. It took up too much time. And besides I was getting better sales prices from just the static sales page and with No hassle

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back