IT.COM

tips Outbound selling process and pricing for business names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a domain that I want to do outbound for. It's a .com in a niche that has around 30 companies using this phrase in their business name, according to LinkedIn (some even use the exact match as their business name). These companies are all over the world, but small though: 1-20 employees. I have had this domain name for a very long time (over 15 years).

I know there are threads about outbound here, but much of the advice is centered around selling generic domain names, not exact match like I have.

So my questions are:

1. Pricing
How do you determine the end user pricing if you know that this many businesses "should" want to buy your domain because it matches their brand perfectly?

Here's my take (feel free to shoot if you have better suggestions!):
I use a combination of (Monthly Search Volume * CPC * 24 months) + Premium because it's their brand and they should need the domain.

2. Communicating
How do you find the best person to communicate with when you're targeting a non-internet-savvy market where the person's online presence is minimal? How much effort do you put in finding some sort of common ground with the contact before you email them? What do you do to make them realize that you really are the owner of the domain name and not some sort of scammer? How many times and how do you contact each person if they don't respond? Do you use an email from the actual domain name or just your company email? Do you try to convince them of the value of owning their brand in .com? If so, how?

My take (again, feel free to shoot!):
Use LinkedIn, company website and FindThatLead to find your contact. Then search each of them. Do outbound first through a series of 3 emails (automated yet personalized using a tool like Lemlist). If they don't respond to any of the emails, then grudgingly pick up the phone and try to call them as a last resort.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should check out Yogi Solanki’s writing about this on Outbounddomains,com. I think you’ll find it very helpful.

Looks to me like you’re already doing a lot of the right things and asking the right questions. Wishing you very success!

•••
TBH , outbound is crap. If you don't have a generic dictionary word .com , I have done for 3years ,no results till date.

•••
Thanks for your replies. I think I have some decent domains that could use some outbound love... I started domaining in 2001 (and still working on upgrading my portfolio) but never seriously played the outbound game.

Outbound is nothing if you don't have the right market-product match. So yes, you absolutely need to have the right domain to offer to the right people.

I really want to figure this out because I have the impression that this is where the money is...

So if you can share any more tips that can help me (and others like me!) have more success with outbound sales, please do!

@CTUXSF Thanks, I didn't know Yogi. Will check his website out!

@Debasis Can you elaborate on your learnings? Can you share about your methods? Do you know why what you were doing did not work? Knowing what doesn't work can be just as valuable...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back