IT.COM

Opening your own parking company ? ... and become a millionaire ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ama86

Account Closed
Impact
Yo wasuupp everybody,

I was just pondering the thoughts of opening my own parking company.

Lets say everyday I can earn $1 from every domainer, and lets say there are 20,000 sites parked at my company.

That means everyday I make $20,000

and thats means within 50 days, I can be a millionaire.

Of course, it sounds easy, but there is lots of work to be done, So what do you guys think of this idea ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mwzd said:
I disagree, you forget every year a ton of noobs join the web. A lot of them fancy themselves as 'cool domainers' and will park imsocoolandievenpark.com and wait for the four figure offers and the millions of parking dollars. (But it said so on TV! Millions of dollars are paid out every month, wheres mine?)

About your organisation, what are your aims? How will it be different from DNOA or ICA?

And why not start a new thread for it, instead of posting it here...

I would be all for DNOA adding in a domainers parking section.

But we are talking about two different things here, This org wont be for ANYTHING, But Domainers and parking companies, ICA, has no direct interest in domainers and parking directly.

The org will stand for Domainers and Parking companies, All the issues that have been spoken about, And the options we as domainers can take to be treated fairly and impartially.

Until i see that there is great bit of interest in starting such an organization, There is really no need for me to move forward on specific topics and ect, that org could accomplish.

Badger said:
Hehe, what an amusing thread..

I think what most of you seem to be angling for is some kind of voice in which to table your concerns and opinions. Well, forgive me for saying so guys, but hasnt the DNOA been created just for stuff like this? Im sure the guys elected here would be only too willing to hear from anyone willing to help.

Regarding the downer towards parking companies in general, I can tell you personally that from the EU side of the pond, the guys running these companies do everything and anything they can to serve the interests of domainers. You need only look to Namedrive's recent 48hr outting and Ed Russells regular and continuous "updates" to keep you guys informed. They deserve the utmost credit for this and in particular the fact that will be paying you guys out of their own pockets for the clicks you missed out on.. I know roughly the figures involved here and its not pocket change let me assure you.

Still tired of parking company BS?

Anyway, to keep it all lighthearted, Ive also compiled a "Varon'esque" set of bullet points:

1; Newbie domainers with new registrations complaining about not getting their reg fee back in PPC in the first month
2; Rife click fraud from simple techniques such as similar IP's all clicking one anothers ads to more complex stuff like botnet clicks from random IP's.
3; Being stuck between the devil and deep blue sea by being party to information your upstream provider forbids you from disclosing and domainers demanding they get to know.
4; Forever being held under the mistrust spotlight because there a "possibility" that some clicks dont get reported - despite the fact that any parking company doing so would be risking their entire business and reputation.
5; Fighting a continuous traffic flood and ddos avalanche.
6; Being open about which countries clicks are accepted from (dictated to by upstream providers) and then getting moaned at because a certain country isnt on that list.
7; Receiving continuous PM's and Emails saying things like "Please point my domains to your nameservers", "I mailed you an hour ago, and you havent replied, you suck", "please pay me $500 this month, I know I only earned $2 but I think my domain is worth more"

:)

Read above concerning DNOA. I am all for it

We have the right to have an organisation, I want to exercise that right, Just as companies have unions, to walk out on companies that do not meet thier needs, They have "arbitration" hearings and such, This to protect the worker from BS, being under paid, pregidous and the list goes on, We as domainers have the same rights, I would think if parking companies oppose or, Have deep problems with such an org, Then maybe they do have something going on that isn't right, And it needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
•••
Would a parking program that allows your adsense code on your parked domains be of interest?

•••
fandie said:
Would a parking program that allows your adsense code on your parked domains be of interest?

The more incentives, The better , imo.

•••
dont park my friends all the park companys sucks use whypark.com

•••
fandie said:
Hasn't 1Plus been doing this all along? :)

•••
I am not sure but i know fandie.com has

example of a parking page

www.hotenough.co.uk

Fair play to 1plus if they have

:)

•••
Where the Hell is IModo ?????????????????????????????

•••
Parking business has many similarities to adult affiliate programs ... at the end of the day it comes down to what companies are performing best; trust must be continously earned by those one parks their domains with.

For people thinking about starting their own parking company, arranging feed arrangments with the big names, such as Google, is the relatively simple part...

The real challenge is building a system that can handle many millions of domains along with tracking many millions of page views per day spread out across numerous domains utilizing a webserver farm that can handle the load, including spikes in traffic due to collateral damage from viruses, ddos attacks, hardware failures, software glitches, etc ...

Plus be able to accurately account for clicks so one doesn't go broke paying out on clicks that later turn out to be bogus - one often needs to have a large cash float to cover losses from fraud, to pay staff (they're not going to wait 2 months for a paycheck lol!), pay parking members (they too want their money now), etc...

Add to that mundane accounting tasks that are simple, and yet can consume much staff time ... payouts (lost, misdirected, wrong amount, etc), collecting W9s, etc.

And finally, one has to promote their parking company - that's getting increasingly more difficult and expensive as the parking business increasingly gets crowded.

If one has cash on hand, can build a solid backend, then yes, parking is likely still a good business get into ... for the rest of us, it comes down to choosing the company(s) that are best performing, staying in close contact with reps, and being prepared to quickly move traffic around to the top performer(s).

Ron

•••
fandie said:

Country detected: INDIA

We are sorry, but we only accept traffic from the following countries:
- AUSTRALIA
- CANADA
- UNITED KINGDOM
- UNITED STATES

Big problem for me.

iModo is 'coming soon'

Bodis is what I use and am really pleased with it.

•••
Domagon said:
Parking business has many similarities to adult affiliate programs ... at the end of the day it comes down to what companies are performing best; trust must be continously earned by those one parks their domains with.

For people thinking about starting their own parking company, arranging feed arrangments with the big names, such as Google, is the relatively simple part...

The real challenge is building a system that can handle many millions of domains along with tracking many millions of page views per day spread out across numerous domains utilizing a webserver farm that can handle the load, including spikes in traffic due to collateral damage from viruses, ddos attacks, hardware failures, software glitches, etc ...

Plus be able to accurately account for clicks so one doesn't go broke paying out on clicks that later turn out to be bogus - one often needs to have a large cash float to cover losses from fraud, to pay staff (they're not going to wait 2 months for a paycheck lol!), pay parking members (they too want their money now), etc...

Add to that mundane accounting tasks that are simple, and yet can consume much staff time ... payouts (lost, misdirected, wrong amount, etc), collecting W9s, etc.

And finally, one has to promote their parking company - that's getting increasingly more difficult and expensive as the parking business increasingly gets crowded.

If one has cash on hand, can build a solid backend, then yes, parking is likely still a good business get into ... for the rest of us, it comes down to choosing the company(s) that are best performing, staying in close contact with reps, and being prepared to quickly move traffic around to the top performer(s).

Ron

I am beginning to get a lot PMs concerning the Org i would like to put together, Keep them coming, The more domainers we have, The stronger the org will be :)

It is a lot of work, From finances to pushing paper work, But, A possibility is this, and this has been done by some of the biggest domain investing groups in the industrty, Have a large number of organization members, And we have our own parking company, Knock out the middle man, cut the BS, and get on about our business, I have one opportunity to do this, and i was a bit freaked at first, But about 2 hours ago, I was givin an invitation into a partnership, With a parking company that is established, Up and running right now, I wont reveal any details at THIS TIME, However, If i go into this partnership, I will definitely post that i have entered a partnership in a domain parking company, Complete details of the partnership, Have yet to be established, So it is just something that is POSSIBILITY in the works, I am still fully planning on moving forward with an ad publishing company, I doubt i will have huge problems promoting that either, I don't know very many domainers that are over whelmingly happy with their current ad publisher company, Web2.0 is getting stronger by the day, It is time for changes from the old, to the new, imo

Promotion will be the easiest part, At least to me, I don't know very many domainers that are doing back flips over thier current parking provider, That being domainers i know personally.

Last edited:
•••
And here is another set of problems.

Script. You will atleast need a good script for running the parking program yourself. Now you could use a turnkey one that everybody on this thread might be knowing what I am referring to.

Are you going to look up each and every account and eye him as a scammer? I think then it will takes ages to even send out one payment. So you will of course use bulk payment method where you don't know that number 453 or number 537 did had some tricks with him and had scammed it out. What if someone earns $2K in one day from a single domain name. You will have to pay him because it might be real. And in some cases it might be fake. You will need a fool proof system.

Another issue is lets assume someone smart. [And there isn't a scarcity of smart people] will get access to the server and if he just changes his account details and add 4 or 5 zeros at the end of his earning and you bulk pay him :D

Your earning from feed provider will be XXX and you will be giving domainers XXXXXX

So instead of profits you will be making loss on your own expense of server and all the trouble.

Server it self would not be an issue because you could invest some money in server and it will be atleast capable of handling the load.

I am not against any non programmers but if you know nothing about programming then you will have to hire programmers for taking care of the thing and then again comes the biggest problem of the planet : "Trust"

Also as badger said there will be tutorials and FAQ's already in place still people will be asking questions about how to park their domains. Can we park them? Can we help them earn more? Why isn't his domain receiving traffic? The payment terms will already be listed on the site itself still some people will ask when I will get paid. :D

•••
-Nick- said:
And here is another set of problems.

Script. You will atleast need a good script for running the parking program yourself. Now you could use a turnkey one that everybody on this thread might be knowing what I am referring to.

Are you going to look up each and every account and eye him as a scammer? I think then it will takes ages to even send out one payment. So you will of course use bulk payment method where you don't know that number 453 or number 537 did had some tricks with him and had scammed it out. What if someone earns $2K in one day from a single domain name. You will have to pay him because it might be real. And in some cases it might be fake. You will need a fool proof system.

Another issue is lets assume someone smart. [And there isn't a scarcity of smart people] will get access to the server and if he just changes his account details and add 4 or 5 zeros at the end of his earning and you bulk pay him :D

Your earning from feed provider will be XXX and you will be giving domainers XXXXXX

So instead of profits you will be making loss on your own expense of server and all the trouble.

Server it self would not be an issue because you could invest some money in server and it will be atleast capable of handling the load.

I am not against any non programmers but if you know nothing about programming then you will have to hire programmers for taking care of the thing and then again comes the biggest problem of the planet : "Trust"

Also as badger said there will be tutorials and FAQ's already in place still people will be asking questions about how to park their domains. Can we park them? Can we help them earn more? Why isn't his domain receiving traffic? The payment terms will already be listed on the site itself still some people will ask when I will get paid. :D

That is why the NET 35 and 45 suck, But are used to verify traffic, It gives the provider plenty of time to check logs, If you have a nice programmed back end, complete with data storage, updated hourly, It is as easy as looking at an account to see traffic origin, IP addy, And specific referrers, I was on the phone with parking provider manager, It took her all of 3 minutes, to tell me exactly where my traffic was coming from. Having a brilliant programmer is least of my problems, I have that, I have the feed provider, I have established that when i inquired about building a ad publishing company, They wanted to know if i was interested in a parking company, So that is covered, Not Yahoo or Google syndication, Or even related to either one. Now having an option to partner with an already established company, I doubt i will building from the ground up, If we are able to establish a contact, Then i will just buy in to the company, That takes the terms of service, and other legal aspects out of the equation, The company is established and running, with a complete TOS, Legal sheets and ect.

But lets say none of this happens for me, I am not sweatin it, I have no need to, I am the customer, I could careless how popular a parking company is, Who owns it, If i am not making money, None of that matters any way, So i feel confident, In the future, There are going to be some changes that will give the domainer fair treatment, Not "Big Me - "Little You" , Because the fact is, With out us domainers, They will be shutting down shop, It's that simple, imo

Last edited:
•••
Nice -X-

I am not that far with my research but have coded the things all in place and am now just building up my finance to take on the load. Because if I am not already rolling in Money I cannot roll properly in future.

If there are glitches and hurdles (Which I doubt they are always falling in my way) I needed to first check that my tank is atleast water tight.

I am not interested in becoming a millionaire from this stuff. Because I am already on that path but my main reason is that I had tried in past to just relax and pass my time in my hobbies. But then I was getting tense and getting frustrated at every small thing around me. So I decided that I need to work till I die. Because if I don't work then it will create more problems for me.

Here is my screenshot of ads company. Which is for selling links (Now I know selling links is not good, But that is where my site will be different from others)

ads.jpg

For the parking company also I did have that stuff ready but right now I am myself trying to break in and see where the faults are. :)

•••
-Nick- said:
Nice -X-

I am not that far with my research but have coded the things all in place and am now just building up my finance to take on the load. Because if I am not already rolling in Money I cannot roll properly in future.

If there are glitches and hurdles (Which I doubt they are always falling in my way) I needed to first check that my tank is atleast water tight.

I am not interested in becoming a millionaire from this stuff. Because I am already on that path but my main reason is that I had tried in past to just relax and pass my time in my hobbies. But then I was getting tense and getting frustrated at every small thing around me. So I decided that I need to work till I die. Because if I don't work then it will create more problems for me.

Here is my screenshot of ads company. Which is for selling links (Now I know selling links is not good, But that is where my site will be different from others)

ads.jpg

For the parking company also I did have that stuff ready but right now I am myself trying to break in and see where the faults are. :)

Awesome -NICK-! :)

You are on your way to prospering with a nice company, I truly wish you the best, I think that is awesome!

I don't think either company will make me rich, I do think i can make some money though, My goal is to be able to provide a service, That meets the expectations of my customers, I know you can't please everyone, But pleasing a majority is essential, imo. and going the extra mile to do so if necessary, Low morale that continues for extended periods of time, Usually turns into a corporate melt down and bankruptcy. So my plan is work hard, Keep my customers satisfied,Stay myself, and be able to feed my family, If i do better than that, Awesome, If not, i will be content and just work harder.

•••
What would be required to be in this Org.?

•••
.X. said:
I don't think either company will make me rich, I do think i can make some money though, My goal is to be able to provide a service, That meets the expectations of my customers, I know you can't please everyone, But pleasing a majority is essential, imo. and going the extra mile to do so if necessary, Low morale that continues for extended periods of time, Usually turns into a corporate melt down and bankruptcy. So my plan is work hard, Keep my customers satisfied,Stay myself, and be able to feed my family, If i do better than that, Awesome, If not, i will be content and just work harder.
Yes :) And that is something very essential for the company. Really good ethics and a habit of letting something go. Because stubbornness if ever comes into businesses then the downfall starts for the company. You are thinking to provide good things to others and that will surely give back more to you. You are not doing this to get rich or richer then this X or that Y. I love this kind of setups :)

I wouldn't mind but the title of the thread which says "Opening your own parking company?.... and become a millionaire?" is correct for some and incorrect for others.

But taking all in one I would only have one opinion and that would be make the company make anything you like and work more then you could ever work. All this time don't think about becoming a millionaire because I have seen this in some of my colleagues they break down in the middle.

One thing is fact that owning a parking company and running it is not a small time game. It leeches out everything, every drop of energy and enthusiasm.

And the very first step to start a parking company is to get the script. A good one, like -X- suggested. It should have the powerful backend and when we are talking of huge number of queries in limited period of time then optimization issues will arise. Database design should also be able to cope up with the programming side and the results could be far better then the haphazardly putting up a parking company.

Well don't know why I put this much weight on the site and script itself but it might be because I am thinking this from programmers point of view.

Thanks.

•••
italiandragon said:
What would be required to be in this Org.?

Only thing required: You are a domainer, and park domain names, Nothing else :)

-Nick- said:
Yes :) And that is something very essential for the company. Really good ethics and a habit of letting something go. Because stubbornness if ever comes into businesses then the downfall starts for the company. You are thinking to provide good things to others and that will surely give back more to you. You are not doing this to get rich or richer then this X or that Y. I love this kind of setups :)

I wouldn't mind but the title of the thread which says "Opening your own parking company?.... and become a millionaire?" is correct for some and incorrect for others.

But taking all in one I would only have one opinion and that would be make the company make anything you like and work more then you could ever work. All this time don't think about becoming a millionaire because I have seen this in some of my colleagues they break down in the middle.

One thing is fact that owning a parking company and running it is not a small time game. It leeches out everything, every drop of energy and enthusiasm.

And the very first step to start a parking company is to get the script. A good one, like -X- suggested. It should have the powerful backend and when we are talking of huge number of queries in limited period of time then optimization issues will arise. Database design should also be able to cope up with the programming side and the results could be far better then the haphazardly putting up a parking company.

Well don't know why I put this much weight on the site and script itself but it might be because I am thinking this from programmers point of view.

Thanks.

Well Said.. -NICK- :)

•••
wow... tons of things to consider indeed.

But if an 18 year old boy can open such a successful parking company, I believe we can too.

•••
ama86 said:

But if an 18 year old boy can open such a successful parking company, I believe we can too.

who was the 18 years old biy who did that?

by the way, I`m all into it!

•••
I think he means Matt (bodis), who is 19.

Last edited:
•••
ama86 said:

If 18 year old boy fails then we can too :D

If 18 year old boy is unsuccessful he can say I was just 18 and didn't had much support. That is what I am trying to tell. If anyone wants to open a parking, open it. But just don't open it because someone else did opened it first. Just make the decision based on the resources of own. That 18 year old boy [I don't know whom you are referring to] Might have his own resources which he wanted to put up in establishing a parking company.

•••
Just a word of advice. Don't claim you have a "patent pending technology" like some boys do and threaten to sue people, when other companies have been doing it for years!

Also as a guide book, we currently have over 75 servers that make up parked.com. And we push way over 50mb/s in bandwidth. You don't want to have slow servers or not enough bandwidth. I think there are many good companies that have lost out because of these two issues.

Donny

•••
But having a parking site is not that easy, you need to think of the startup costs and also getting users to use the site.

•••
Donny said:
Just a word of advice. Don't claim you have a "patent pending technology" like some boys do and threaten to sue people, when other companies have been doing it for years!

Also as a guide book, we currently have over 75 servers that make up parked.com. And we push way over 50mb/s in bandwidth. You don't want to have slow servers or not enough bandwidth. I think there are many good companies that have lost out because of these two issues.

Donny

Excellent Advice...Donny

I think some competitors try to use different tactics to try and intimidate their rival companies., That by using tactics as you mention above "Patent Pending Technology" as well as many other tactics. It is far better to be a friendly competitor, Than a spiteful competitor, imo, People can still work together, They don't necessarily have to like each other, But exercising proper ethics, respect, and communication as necessary. Not only makes a person, a better person, But establishes the integrity of a company.

•••
Since the parking space is already getting crowded (as someone mentioned), perhaps a key point to look at is the market and its potential growth opportunities.

The majority of traffic names are from typeins or linkpop domains. Generic typein traffic is very finite and most of the people which own the best of these portfolios have found other ways to monetize them instead of using the regular parking providers. In fact, some do use their existing volume to negotiate better rates from the ad providers, in order to start their own parking company. Net result- a shrinking market of generic typeins to be competed for.

Now, theoretically, there could be an endless supply of linkpop domains from ex-websites. But as traffic quality is an increasing concern, perhaps these types of names will also take a beating soon, if not already. Also, if we take into account that for the majority of such names, the traffic dies off within a few months, in order for the market to grow, the number (& quality) of new linkpop domains entering the parking market must be greater than the death rate of the existing parked linkpop domains. :)

With a limited (and potentially shrinking) market volume, it doesnt seem to make sense to enter this ppc/parking business without having unique propositions to give you a competitive edge. The back of the envelope calculation in the OP may seem very attractive but when you reflect on the $xx,xxx or potentially higher cost to ND for the recent events, its enough to make you think twice.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back