Dynadot

One Year Since the buyout!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
In 9 days it will be November 2nd. LLLL.com Countdown Since the buyout there has been a lot of fluctuations in LLLL.com values but they have steadily been renewed or picked up on the drop and hence this type of domain has been a more secure investment than others. I think that the next year will attract more risk averse investors to the LLLL.com market and hence more liquidity to this market.

I am very happy with my experiences with the LLLL.com market and being part of the NamePros. It has been very rewarding. I have had to sell a large percentage of my domains this last year but I still have Vurg.com so I am happy. I used to see Namepros as a means to make money and now I see it as a place where I have friends. Thanks to everyone who got involved with the LLLL.com countdown experience. It was fun.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I made the obvious right move at the time by selling high. The only question is am I doing the right thing by staying out of the market. For me...it's the right move as I want to focus more on development including my blog vbum.com (paid $300 for it here at NP).

I kept a few good LLLL.com's like yuhm.com and zzos.com. I have about 5-8 I think...not sure. But I sold off a lot more than that.

I didn't say my buyers were stupid. I say nothing of the kind. It's market I decided was the right time to be a seller. It's up to the buyer to make a good decision for themselves.

And where the heck do you get off with your smart ass comments about how I think I am smart and infallible? I say no such thing. Matter of fact I point out my big failure with CCC.net's. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you're not a big enough man to congratulate me that's your problem. If you seriously can't see that months ago was a prime time to have sold then again...that's your problem not mine.

but I’m sure luck had an equal share in it.

Do I say otherwise? I only state I did the perfect thing. Did I KNOW that the market would dive? Nope but I thought the current valuations were good seller prices. Sometimes I am right...sometime I am wrong. Isn't that business? Even Warren Buffet makes bad calls.

You got some nerve giving me attitude like that. It's uncalled for. You sir need to check your attitude at the door. This site is for professionals. Reece...can we get a rule on namepros about manners? Doesn't seem as if some people have them.

•••
labrocca said:
Reece...can we get a rule on namepros about manners? Doesn't seem as if some people have them.

We can certainly draft up a set of rules for the Short Domain forum if that is desired.

"Be Polite! - Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violate of any laws. Be polite! Debate and heated discussions are okay, however posting rude, attacking, insulting, profane and uncalled for comments are not allowed and may result in the permanent termination of your account."
http://www.namepros.com/faq.php?faq=np_rules#faq_site_rules

•••
www.LLLL.com said:
We can certainly draft up a set of rules for the Short Domain forum if that is desired.

"Be Polite! - Do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violate of any laws. Be polite! Debate and heated discussions are okay, however posting rude, attacking, insulting, profane and uncalled for comments are not allowed and may result in the permanent termination of your account."
http://www.namepros.com/faq.php?faq=np_rules#faq_site_rules

I believe we have to add posting rude (...) nonsense arguments just for the purpose of bashing there, but this is just a a personal opinion.

•••
Back to topic...so a year ago LLLL.com's sold out.

Can anyone post a nice chart of the min prices from then to now? It would be interesting to gauge them month to month on a chart. Obviously they were reg fee a year ago...today seem to be somewhere around $15 and 6 months ago they were $50+.

•••
I've made a quick scan on latest registered llll.coms (on 2nd of Novebmer) and it seems that 90% of them are renewed and some domains are renewed till 2010 already! And 10% still can be renewed! There will of course be a drop but not thousands as predicted. I think majority of llll.com drops will be due to EuroDNS high renewal and lock :(

And in January and in February when number of drops will be decreased to not more 15-20 domains per day... I think prices then will be raising already for sure. Though I think they may start rising even earlier

•••
November - About $10 min within a couple weeks from buyout, hit $15 min by december. Hit about $25 by mid-December before falling to about $15 again heading into January (people started claiming the bubble had burst). January saw prices reach about min $35 by the end of the month and prices began to rise very rapidly heading into February, quickly reaching about min $55 by mid-February. Prices were relatively stable, hovering around $55 for the remainder of February and began to recede from there as we entered March, quickly falling to about min $40 by the second week. Many people remember Easter 2008 and for many this became one of the first signs that the LLLL.com market had indeed fallen from it's peak. Prices continued to fall slowly from then to the end of April when min was about $35. Between May and July, LLLL.coms would continue their decline, reaching min $22 by mid-July. By the end of August, sales under $20 were frequent on the low end, reaching a min around $15 in September. October came around and things continued to get worse for the LLLL.com market -- the economy certainly became a factor as did renewals coming due and the realization that many people had overspeculated. Some people wanted to recover what little they felt they still could and confidence in the LLLL.com market certainly reached a low not seen since the early days post-buyout. Prices declined a further 50%, reaching a min of about $10 before starting to recover in the second half of October.

The End.

labrocca said:
Back to topic...so a year ago LLLL.com's sold out.

Can anyone post a nice chart of the min prices from then to now? It would be interesting to gauge them month to month on a chart. Obviously they were reg fee a year ago...today seem to be somewhere around $15 and 6 months ago they were $50+.

•••
Well that seems like a lot of drama for one year.

•••
Sure does :)

Makes what we've seen in the U.S. seem relatively mild in comparison.

labrocca said:

•••
labrocca said:
......Can anyone post a nice chart of the min prices from then to now? It would be interesting to gauge them month to month on a chart. Obviously they were reg fee a year ago...today seem to be somewhere around $15 and 6 months ago they were $50+.
See my notes below.

labrocca said:
It may seem like a lot of drama if you try and track each sale as there are hundreds of sales each day. Further, for as many sales as we can find and track, there are an equal amount of sales that the public never sees. Thus, noone really knows what the minimum and maximum is and that's why you won't find many graphs on the subject. A lot of us do our best to provide a general idea, however, you as an experienced domainer most likely realize that no two endusers or domains are the same and that economy, exchange rates, languages, marketing strategies and venues play a big role in any deal.

For Noobies Reece's research is the best that I have seen. As you stated it does appear to be full of drama to the inexperienced domainer. But, it is better in my opinion than letting Noobies fend on their own. Left on their own within a few weeks they could be pulling their hair out because they find that a domain that they just sold at eBay for $25 was the same one they paid $80 for on Sedo. Which might lead them to think that the market is crashing. Or, they might see one of their cheapie domains now at an auction house for $250 or hear of an experienced domainer whom just sold it for $1000 to an enduser (usually after a month of marketing on his part) and they'll want to rush out and buy a 100 more names. In these types of cases, pricing guides can bring a sense of calmness, similar to the sense of reassurance that other pricing guides bring to other types of collectibles.

While I don't have any graphs myself, I do have some notes on minimum and maximum sales and hope they help in your research....

A few of the lowest sales I've observed...
zmgb.com $20.00 11/01/2008 TDNAM
xvjh.com $1.29 10/28/2008 Ebay (1 day until expiration)
lvrb.com $18.00 09/25/2008 NamePros
vqxd.com $15.00 08/26/2008 Ebay
pfyz.com $16.02 07/31/2008 Ebay
zkpa.com $20.00 06/25/2008 NamePros
XFPQ.com $20.00 05/22/2008 BQB.com
QgXI.com $27.11 04/12/2008 eBay
WUVH.com $12.00 03/31/2008 DigitalPoint
YGWA.com $11.75 02/08/2008 Ebay
JLQE.COM $12.25 01/07/2008 Ebay
VPLQ.COM $9.99 12/18/2007 Ebay
QBWV.com $9.00 11/27/2007 Ebay

A few of the highest sales I've observed.
Vida.com $70,000.00 10/18/2008 NameJet
Baco.com $18,200.00 09/14/2008 NameJet
jojo.com $25,500.00 08/28/2008 Sedo
jaho.com $18,000.00 06/25/2008 Afternic
BHFO.com $10,100.00 05/29/2008 Moniker
VLAN.com $20,000.00 04/02/2008 RickLatona.com
seng.com $16,500.00 02/21/2008 Sedo
Foom.com $21,000.00 01/28/2008 PrivateSale
meka.com $12,000.00 12/27/2007 Sedo
yume.com $7,500.00 11/29/2007 GreatDomains

•••
what is the statistics for quad premium? (the changes over a year) that is what I am interested in.

•••
This is a great thread; most of the arguments here have very valid points. While I am relatively new to domains compared to some of you I think the truth is that no one expected the LLLL.com market to keep rising as that would have been just unrealistic. However no one really expected them to fall as much as they did either.

The problem with the LLLL.com market is that the people who own most of these domains are resellers who are trying to make a quick profit, the people who made a good profit are the ones that had a large portfolio to sell during the peak months such as Reece. A lot of the people who bought LLLL.coms were not experienced investors who were looking for a quick profit.

While everyone was buying during November – April at expensive, everyone has been trying to sell since May or so. Back to basics there is more supply then demand at the moment!

In January 2009 we will be able to see what will really happen to the LLLL.com market, as that’s when we know if most owners have decided to renew their LLLL.coms.

I believe the risk is lower if you look at LLLL.coms as a long term investment.

But anyway Happy Birthday to LLLL.com

•••
In January 2009 we will be able to see what will really happen to the LLLL.com market, as that’s when we know if most owners have decided to renew their LLLL.coms.
They did. Go to the countdown thread and whois random 50 llll.coms registered in the very last days and you will see that 90% of them are renewed and some of them renewed even for 2 years. The only domains that I saw not renewed were registered at EuroDNS

•••
Ergo said:
They did. Go to the countdown thread and whois random 50 llll.coms registered in the very last days and you will see that 90% of them are renewed and some of them renewed even for 2 years. The only domains that I saw not renewed were registered at EuroDNS

Ok I didnt really know that, but great news in that case.

•••
mibworld said:
You mentioned that there are more than 450,000 LLLL.com’s. That’s right, but you forgot to mention that there are thousands and thousands of 4-letter dictionary words, not only in English, but in languages as Spanish, Chinese, German, French, Italian and many more. There are also thousands of usual and valuable 4-letter acronyms. Thousands more are extremely rare, pronounceable or brandable names (like triple repeats, CVCV’s, etc.) that are in the hands of strong investors for the long term, and which are, for all practical means, out of the market. Finally, there are thousands of developed sites and many being sold to end users each day.

I have done some random sampling and about 20-25% OF LLLL.com's are developed sites. The sample sizes (100 each time) are not big enough to get the margin of error much lower than 10% but I don't think it is so far off. You can see the scans here and here. My guess is there are around 300k+ undeveloped LLLL.com's.

•••
rkbdomain said:
I have done some random sampling and about 20-25% OF LLLL.com's are developed sites. The sample sizes (100 each time) are not big enough to get the margin of error much lower than 10% but I don't think it is so far off. You can see the scans here and here. My guess is there are around 300k+ undeveloped LLLL.com's.

That's is actually very encouraging news.

A few of the lowest sales I've observed...
zmgb.com $20.00 11/01/2008 TDNAM
xvjh.com $1.29 10/28/2008 Ebay (1 day until expiration)
lvrb.com $18.00 09/25/2008 NamePros
vqxd.com $15.00 08/26/2008 Ebay
pfyz.com $16.02 07/31/2008 Ebay
zkpa.com $20.00 06/25/2008 NamePros
XFPQ.com $20.00 05/22/2008 BQB.com
QgXI.com $27.11 04/12/2008 eBay
WUVH.com $12.00 03/31/2008 DigitalPoint
YGWA.com $11.75 02/08/2008 Ebay
JLQE.COM $12.25 01/07/2008 Ebay
VPLQ.COM $9.99 12/18/2007 Ebay
QBWV.com $9.00 11/27/2007 Ebay

A few of the highest sales I've observed.
Vida.com $70,000.00 10/18/2008 NameJet
Baco.com $18,200.00 09/14/2008 NameJet
jojo.com $25,500.00 08/28/2008 Sedo
jaho.com $18,000.00 06/25/2008 Afternic
BHFO.com $10,100.00 05/29/2008 Moniker
VLAN.com $20,000.00 04/02/2008 RickLatona.com
seng.com $16,500.00 02/21/2008 Sedo
Foom.com $21,000.00 01/28/2008 PrivateSale
meka.com $12,000.00 12/27/2007 Sedo
yume.com $7,500.00 11/29/2007 GreatDomains

I think that shows the extreme contrasts very well. The higher sales are certainly not fluke LLLL.com sales. Each imho is fairly logical. I like Yume.com sales alot as it's similar in nature to my Yuhm.com. The vLan is even so-so with my vBum...hey Rick come buy it.

The low-end sales are deserving of their price. They are pretty much reg fee and if unless you're shooting for 500% margin I think your domaining improperly. Which means those domains should be dropped for resale. I say 500% because reg fees build up and it's normally only a small percentage of yoru portfolio that does get sold. You need to leave room for dropped domain losses. If you have 100 domains you'll be lucky to sell 10 for a good price. That's 90 names you own that you may need to drop or sell very cheap.

•••
Arguing between snoop and the rest of the guys are getting tedious. I mean the same points are argued over and over again. Agree to disagree and move on. Let new investors decide if and how much they want to invest. Or i guess the extra chatter keeps the forum lively:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back