NameSilo

.de Official .DE Registration Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Heya,

Where's the best place to register .de & .ca in terms of price?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
DENIC enforces a strict nameserver policy for all .de domains. The nameservers need to be on different subnets (at least one of the first 3 octets of the IP addresses must be different)
OK. What is the best way of achieving this? Can I use a combination of my own DNS IP address, along w/ 2-3 of the Registrars DNS in secondary position? Or is it more complex than this? I just ran a search and went to 3-4 sites that were getting into octets and other scary code things. I know, for instance that I'm coming from an IP address that is within a block that my ISP has and that there is a subnet gateway- something like 255.255.255.xx but I can't quite relate that to DNS and my own servers.

•••
If a registrar had 65.122.XXX.XXX and 206.123.XXX.XXX this would be cool

65.122.XXX.XXXX and 65.123.XXX.XXXX would not be

I hope this helps

•••
If a registrar had 65.122.XXX.XXX and 206.123.XXX.XXX this would be cool

65.122.XXX.XXXX and 65.123.XXX.XXXX would not be
What if the DNS on my server was 65.122.XXX.XXX and the registrar had 206.123.100.XXX and 206.123.104.XXX . Is that cool?
Or what if I setup a second DNS w/ another domain's IP? I'm not sure what, if anything, I would need to run by my server host?/operator? first, (ie who I buy dedicated server space from- hehe- I'm still mentally adpating to dedicated thinking vs shared thinking). Is this something I can achieve by myself through cPanel and a new DNS assignment at the registrar?

•••
Grrilla said:
What if the DNS on my server was 65.122.XXX.XXX and the registrar had 206.123.100.XXX and 206.123.104.XXX . Is that cool?
Or what if I setup a second DNS w/ another domain's IP? I'm not sure what, if anything, I would need to run by my server host?/operator? first, (ie who I buy dedicated server space from- hehe- I'm still mentally adpating to dedicated thinking vs shared thinking). Is this something I can achieve by myself through cPanel and a new DNS assignment at the registrar?

I think it would be cool providing the nameservers you are going to use(yours or your registrars) are registered within the denic namespace.

•••
Grrilla said:
Have a .de name I am interested in, but haven't attempted to register one before and when I went to checkout, I was asked to confirm that my address was in Germany. I know this sounds rhetorical, but does this mean that .de domains can only be registered by people w/ contact addresses in Germany?

I have registered a few at Godaddy with no problem. I live in in the USA and
all my Whois info is US.

•••
you might be lucky, denic does require the admin contact be in germany as well as the aforementioned restrictions on nameservers.

•••
administrative contact:

When I registered my .de domain NetSol they listed and I will assume by default this as the administrative contact:

Name: Marcus Ross
Contact type: PERSON
Address: Tempelhofer Ufer 37
Zip Code: 10963
City: Berlin

•••
And in talking with NetSol customer service, they were pretty adament that I not change that setting, either.
-Allan

slaughterbeck said:
When I registered my .de domain NetSol they listed and I will assume by default this as the administrative contact:

Name: Marcus Ross
Contact type: PERSON
Address: Tempelhofer Ufer 37
Zip Code: 10963
City: Berlin

•••
Non-European Registering .IT and .DE Domains

I would like to know did any one try to register these domains if you are not an European?

If you are succeed on registering these domain, did you got contacted by the registry requesting you to submit the proof of living in the Europe?

Thanks a lot.

•••
you have to live in germany to get a .de address. You could technically own a .de domain if you're not german, but the contact person has to be german with a german address. For .no domains for example you need to have an organization number ( a company) before you can register domain names.

•••
Thanks first,
but can I fake an address and contact for that?

So far I only know .CA cannot be faked as CIRA checks their registrants in a very serious sense.

•••
considering the .de, you could register them via united-domains.de, who offer a trustee service, so there will be a German address provided through them.

•••
I have had no trouble at all registering .DE through Idotz.net and DomainDiscount24 and I in the US with no German contact info in the WHOIS.
However,I would REALLY like to register some .IT domains as well,but whenever I try a registration at RegisterFly,it gets denied but doesn't adequately explain why.
Does anyone know how an US citizen can register a .IT? (or .FR?)

•••
Dillpup said:
I have had no trouble at all registering .DE through Idotz.net and DomainDiscount24 and I in the US with no German contact info in the WHOIS.
However,I would REALLY like to register some .IT domains as well,but whenever I try a registration at RegisterFly,it gets denied but doesn't adequately explain why.
Does anyone know how an US citizen can register a .IT? (or .FR?)

.it seems to have restrictions

http://www.nic.it/RA/en/domini/passi.html

•••
chelsea said:
considering the .de, you could register them via united-domains.de, who offer a trustee service, so there will be a German address provided through them.

Thanks for your information
I'll consider this Registrar, and I will use Registerfly for a not so important name to see whether the registry will kill my name or not :)

I'm the unlucky guy who's always get caught.

•••
As mentioned previously, you'll have no problem with dd24.net

•••
With .us you have to live in the US to get it. So i would expect that applies for all countries.

•••
JoshHendo said:
With .us you have to live in the US to get it. So i would expect that applies for all countries.
No it doesn't Josh, otherwise all those people who have .in ,.ws ,.sc,.cc, .la ,.cn
and so on for various reasons would be unable to Register them

•••
I live in new zealand so I can reg .co.nz domains :P

•••
majinbuu1023 said:
I live in new zealand so I can reg .co.nz domains :P
I live in Aust. so I can Reg .com.au & .co.nz
But poor old Dylan Can only reg .co.nz
:hehe:

•••
Each country code extension has its own unique set of rules governed by the country in question and the governing registry.

.us is the most complex imho as the 3 defining qualification rules are ambiguous at best. Certainly, the sole criteria isnt simply "you must live in the US to register".

With regard european ccTLD's .co.uk and .de are, in my experience, the least policed. They are mature now and there are very little available decent free reg's left. But with regard to .fr and .it i believe (and shoot me down if im wrong) a more robust qualification is needed and they are only supported by a few registars.

But so as to not go too far off topic, domaindiscount24 (a german registar) are very good.

•••
From what i know the .eu is going to be simmler to the .co.uk with the paper work. You "need" a physical address in the eu to register a name.

•••
chelsea said:

I guess that would be one way to work around the address problem :)

•••
Barefoottech said:
I live in Aust. so I can Reg .com.au & .co.nz
But poor old Dylan Can only reg .co.nz
:hehe:

Yeah, but to get .com.au you need to have an ABN, and not everyone has one or knows how to get one :P.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back