NameSilo

Numbers in Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wanna ask guys, is putting numbers in a domain name bad like gift4you.com, or it is just acceptable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you are expecting to sell domains like that you may not have much luck. If you are going to make a site with it, it can be "ok" but most people think it's kind of cheap and looks like you could not get the domain with the "for". That is my opinion, but I think most people on NP hate them. :)

•••
It really depends. Do your keyword research. If people are using a numer to search, which they do sometimes, then it could be fine. Just use google kw tool and see if those keywords get any traffic. Because we all know exact match domain names get extremely good rankings with little work.

•••
Just wanna ask guys, is putting numbers in a domain name bad

normally yes.

something like jobs4you or similar quality has some value.

but something like how2getrich4free etc. is crap.

or it is just acceptable?

domainers hate numbers.
but you could be lucky and sell these type of domains to others.

•••
I feel it is depend on Domain niche and name of domain... Google can determine words abbreviation...like gift4you can be match with "gift for you"..
as i had domain in past and got traffic from search engine with these kind of keywords...

•••
I don't think a domain should be discounted by the number if it gets search traffic with the number. A keyword domain should have a value that directly relates to its exact search traffic.

This is not true with brandable domains. However do you want to brand a domain with a number in it? This will insure that some of your word of mouth traffic will go to the wrong site. example 4domainers.com -> fordomainers.com

•••
If your intention is to sell to another domainer, it could be tough. Domainers are very picky about domain metrics, when they pay premium to another domainer.

For an "end-user", numbers are fine if used as a substitute for the words "for (4)" or "to (2)" sandwiched between keywords. It makes the domain more catchy or brandable. Numbers at the front are a hard sell, though. People are not accustomed to typing domains starting with a number.

If you are scared that you might lose out for the exact word match "for" in search engines, i found out that you can easily compensate by spelling it out on the webpage title and Google will still match it. For example, if your domain is food4life, then you add a webpage title "food for life". Google will still match all three words and you still get propelled to the top. I have some domains like that so this is just based on my experience.

•••
sometimes yes ..........h2o would be an example

you do see these type of domains in dnjournal sales charts .....only rarely when compared to normal sales though

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back