Dynadot

status-resolved NP auctions with a bin that's added later...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
I've purchased a few names from members here but never had this happen before, I guess its normal, not sure.

Had high bid early this morning on a couple auctions, looks like I was outbid by a couple bucks on one and can't even find the other auction. This would have kept them live for another 48 hours but when I checked my alerts this morning both domains were sold at bin.

There wasn't a bin so I assume it was added early this morning, not sure because it still doesn't reflect the bin price. I didn't even get an alert a bin was added, last I read it was way too early to add a bin.

Looks like moving forward I'll only bid on live auctions with no bin, or ones that have the bin listed within the auction. No more bin coming later..

Does this happen a lot? :(

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure what happened with my title, sorry about the spelling error.. :)

•••
This is very common. I wouldn't expect each and every seller to start PMing every single interested person one by one to let them know that they just added a BIN. Anyone wanting the name seriously enough will ask to be updated on a BIN or through PM can help make that BIN happen. It's not uncommon and the only thing I might add that would be beneficial is to have a separate BIN button or feature that when activated on an auction automatically notifies ALL subscribers. Other than that its just the way np auctions go. If you want it bad enough, talk to the seller.

•••
yes all the time

seller can add bin at any time. so bidding on auctions with no bin initially does not solve or help anything. as bin can be added even 5 mins before scheduled auction end.

its best you do like most and get used to it. it's really not as bad as it sounds.
in time, you will even find it exciting and fun and will not want it any other way. cause you'll realize that thanks to this scheme, you'll win some and you'll loose some. just like in the real life.

cheers

•••
This is very common. I wouldn't expect each and every seller to start PMing every single interested person one by one to let them know that they just added a BIN. Anyone wanting the name seriously enough will ask to be updated on a BIN or through PM can help make that BIN happen. It's not uncommon and the only thing I might add that would be beneficial is to have a separate BIN button or feature that when activated on an auction automatically notifies ALL subscribers. Other than that its just the way np auctions go. If you want it bad enough, talk to the seller.

normally if you just watch the auciton, u will get notified of a bin addition, cause most sellers have enough sense to post bin as seperate updated post on thread. I guess in some rarer newcomer seller cases, they just edit the original post with bin. in which case no note arrives to your watch center.

so far, most of what I saw, the bin was a new post on thread. thefore notification came for it in my watch center.

so the bin button you mention can boil down to just adding auction to your watchlist.

cheers

•••
..so the bin button you mention can boil down to just adding auction to your watchlist.

Sometimes. But BIN alerts would be beneficial enough as an entirely separate feature. I get so many different alerts all the time from threads I post to, mixed in with auctions, and everything else so it gets cluttered while BIN notices would be something serious buyers would probably rank as most important and time-sensitive.

•••
I was watching the thread so bin must have been added to the original post therefore not sending an alert. Bin alert is not a bad idea but I guess one could miss that too if you're not online so whats the point. :)

•••
Sometimes. But BIN alerts would be beneficial enough as an entirely separate feature. I get so many different alerts all the time from threads I post to, mixed in with auctions, and everything else so it gets cluttered while BIN notices would be something serious buyers would probably rank as most important and time-sensitive.

yes I know about many alerts too
but... wouldn't you still have to go to that thread for sale to see that button? and if so, then how would you go there if not through getting an alert to begin with?
perhpas I do not follow you well.

•••
I was watching the thread so bin must have been added to the original post therefore not sending an alert. Bin alert is not a bad idea but I guess one could miss that too if you're not online so whats the point. :)

yes.. for sure.. but all this is not a bad thing really. for every auction I may have lost in this way to someone else, there was another one I have won due to seller adding quick bin.. as far as I am concerned, it balances well in the end.

•••
Just thinking out loud, but yes one would need to see the alert to go there. I'm just thinking a simple checkbox the seller can mark off when they've added a BIN that sends one single alert to all who are watching with a unique message that says something like: "BIN Alert: on thread xyz.."

•••
Just to clarify on Bin's being added during an active auction, please review the following BIN rule:
6.2.4. A Buy-It-Now ("BIN") price may be changed (added, reduced, increased, or removed) on an auction at any time prior to it being accepted. However, the change must be posted to the thread as a new reply as well as updated in the original post before it can be accepted. The BIN price in an auction must be publicly accepted by a buyer; a BIN is not automatically accepted by lowering it to the highest bid in an auction.
If for any reason someone posts sold for BIN and there wasn't a bin added as outlined above, please report the auction so a staff member can investigate.

Thanks,

•••
Just to clarify on Bin's being added during an active auction, please review the following BIN rule:
6.2.4. A Buy-It-Now ("BIN") price may be changed (added, reduced, increased, or removed) on an auction at any time prior to it being accepted. However, the change must be posted to the thread as a new reply as well as updated in the original post before it can be accepted. The BIN price in an auction must be publicly accepted by a buyer; a BIN is not automatically accepted by lowering it to the highest bid in an auction.
If for any reason someone posts sold for BIN and there wasn't a bin added as outlined above, please report the auction so a staff member can investigate.

Thanks,

oh great I did not know!
to me and most it was always just common sense to also post it as seperate post. not just update OP.

but I am sure many are not familiaqr with this rule.

so you are saying the BIN SALE can be completely invalidated if the added BIN PRICE is not posted as seperate thread post (versus edited only in OP).. correcT?

•••
oh great I did not know!
to me and most it was always just common sense to also post it as seperate post. not just update OP.

but I am sure many are not familiaqr with this rule.

so you are saying the BIN SALE can be completed invalidated if it is not posted as seperate thread post (versus edited only in OP).. correcT?
Correct, as outlined in the rule, both must happen to be valid (Updated in original sales post & a new comment created announcing the BIN so that all subscribers of the thread are notified of the update).

•••
6.2.4. A Buy-It-Now ("BIN") price may be changed (added, reduced, increased, or removed) on an auction at any time prior to it being accepted. However, the change must be posted to the thread as a new reply as well as updated in the original post before it can be accepted.

This is where actual auction websites/systems have a clear advantage over trying to sell via forum threads. They are tedious to update, can get very cluttered and hard to follow. It makes common sense to post BIN as a new post and to also update the original post with the BIN but I'd be willing to bet most didn't know that was a mandatory rule required for every auction thread. Surely this is not happening all the time as required.

I think NamePros has a big enough audience that it might benefit from integrating an actual auction system. It's a busy site with even busier threads that can get hard to follow, manage, and police. I'd gladly give up a commission on auctions sold this way too just like namejet, sedo, flippa etc.. any chance this might be in the works someday?

•••
Correct, as outlined in the rule, both must happen to be valid (Updated in original sales post & a new comment created announcing the BIN so that all subscribers of the thread are notified of the update).

This wasn't done that I can tell.

•••
This is where actual auction websites/systems have a clear advantage over trying to sell via forum threads. They are tedious to update, can get very cluttered and hard to follow. It makes common sense to post BIN as a new post and to also update the original post with the BIN but I'd be willing to bet most didn't know that was a mandatory rule required for every auction thread. Surely this is not happening all the time as required.

I think NamePros has a big enough audience that it might benefit from integrating an actual auction system. It's a busy site with even busier threads that can get hard to follow, manage, and police. I'd gladly give up a commission on auctions sold this way too just like namejet, sedo, flippa etc.. any chance this might be in the works someday?

You are willing to pay commissions at namepros? I don't think this will go over to well...

I think this is a venue for quick liquidity, it is the seller who is forgoing a retail price for a quick sale in order to raise cash, if they choose to place a BIN in their auction, they should be allowed to do so without delay. Keep it simple, the less rules the better, millions of auctions are run everyday, not everyone can attend, or follow just the way it goes.

Auctions are about winning, and losing, you can't win them all

•••
Yep bin should be posted as a post in the thread as well edited original post. I have had people ask me via pm for a bin and i have added as a post as well updated original post.

•••
I'm just saying there is a clear opportunity and value in combining the social aspects of a growing forum with the legitimacy and structure of an auction platform, and yes I would pay for that just like I would at any other marketplace.

•••

you sure have some way to make a lot of friends around here.
suggesting everyone start paying commissions. lol

maybe this is where you should stop thinking outloud ;)

lack of commissions on np is one of the main reasons if not the only one why np has such relatively active sales area to begin with.

Last edited:
•••
Yep bin should be posted as a post in the thread as well edited original post. I have had people ask me via pm for a bin and i have added as a post as well updated original post.

I've seen the action, don't like it. I will only bid on auctions here moving forward that have no bin, bin listed, or no reserve. No more of this bin is coming stuff, easy way out for outside deals IMO.

•••
I've seen the action, don't like it. I will only bid on auctions here moving forward that have no bin, bin listed, or no reserve. No more of this bin is coming stuff, easy way out for outside deals IMO.
It's tricky really because as a seller you want to move things along and if you recieve a decent bin offer and you notice your auction isn't moving as well as you thought it's a great opportunity to get the deal done and move on. I will only add a bin if much time has passed with little interest or you only have 2 bidders that are bidding up a dollar. If your auction is hot i would set my bin high and then work down because why would you end an auction that has genuine intrest from more than two parties or high dollar increments .Just my two cents as a seller.

Last edited:
•••
If you see a name you like, you will bid, it's human nature... greed

•••
It's tricky really because as a seller you want to move things along and if you recieve a decent bin offer and you notice your auction isn't moving as well as you thought it's a great opportunity to get the deal done and move on. I will only add a bin if much time has passed with little interest or you only have 2 bidders that are bidding up a dollar. If your auction is hot i would set my bin high and then work down because why would you end an auction that has genuine intrest from more than two parties or high dollar increments .Just my two cents as a seller.

You know really it's fine, more principle than anything and that's why I'm pointing this out. IMO it's not ethical to have a couple running auctions, then say sold at bin in the original post. No bin added to the thread as Eric said and then when you look at the threads there's no bin price and everything is wiped clean. So I'm not sure a bin ever existed.

Just because you're not getting what you want, if you start no reserve auctions, is it right to create a diversion of a so called existing bin, sorry sold at bin. And if a bin was in fact added why has it been wiped clean?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.. ;)

•••
You know really it's fine, more principle than anything and that's why I'm pointing this out. IMO it's not ethical to have a couple running auctions, then say sold at bin in the original post. No bin added to the thread as Eric said and then when you look at the threads there's no bin price and everything is wiped clean. So I'm not sure a bin ever existed.

Just because you're not getting what you want, if you start no reserve auctions, is it right to create a diversion of a a so called existing bin, sorry sold at bin. And if a bin was in fact added why has it been wiped clean?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.. ;)
I agree completely with you. We should all be held to the same rules. I want to earn a honest trade review here and if someone felt cheated in any way i would certainly want to work to resolve the issue.

•••

In addition, it would help it there was a wait for 24 hours clause. It is unfair to rest of bidders when BIN is added suddenly. A minimum of 24 hours should be given for all interested bidders to claim 'sold at BIN'. If there are multiple 'sold at BIN', the BIN contenders may optional pay higher than BIN amount. The highest sold at BIN after 24 hours of BIN announcement wins.

For example,

if BIN is udpated to $100 at 1pm Wed, all current and new bidders have upto 1pm Thu to claim sold at BIN.

If bidder A, claims sold at BIN (default of $100)
Bidder B could claim sold at BIN $110
New bidder C could claim sold at BIN $120
Bidder B could claim sold at BIN $125 ( if there are no further sold at BIN before 1pm Thu, this wins )

If there are no sold claim and seller reduces BIN again, a new 24 hour claim cycle would apply every time BIN is udpated. If there is no sold at BIN claim, highest bidder as current auction format wins.

This will give fair chance to all bidders plus get higher price for the seller.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back