IT.COM

Not sure about IDN's ? Ask yourself These Questions !

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
1. Why are Big Registars in on IDN's ?

2. Why does Bill Gates own IDN's ?

3. Why did Adam Dickner aka Dot Com God - Buy 5 thousand of them ?

4. Check the sales threads at djnournal & http://www.idntools.net/idnsales.php

5. Have you REGd a Domain in the last couple of months with a overture over 50k or even 25k or even 10k ?

6. Show me a domain you reged in the last couple of weeks that Gets a 80 dollar Bid on the keyword , ie : ζ–°ζ½ŸδΈε‹•η”£.com NiigataRealEstate.com Β₯9,999 = 87.2222 USD Top Bid , maderfact show me one that Gets Half of that $43.50 , I'll answer mesothemioma.com been gone, caught and gone again !

7. Explain to me why so many people think that everybody speaks english ?

When the Fact is

Total number of users with European languages (excluding English): 276 million

Total number of users with Asian languages (excluding English): 241 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_internet_usage

8. Tell me if you would type in Japanse to find out the weather in New York if the internet was invented in Japan ? If ICANN and Microsoft were Japanese companies what tune would you be singing ?

9. Then tell me how excited you would be when you find out many years later you can now access domains in English ?

10. Then tell me why people continue to be blind to the fact and insist on Buying ThisDomainIsWorth-RegFee.com instead of atleast looking into IDN's ?

11. Then tell me why people think that they have to do the translations themselves , i guess people never heard of hiring people or outsourcing or the Free IDN tutorial .?

15. Then tell me why google has spent millions to hire coders to change there algorithm to Index IDN's ?

16. Then tell me why there is suddenly a IDN section here ?

17. Then tell me why RJ spent all last night Searching the forums over at IDNF ?

18. * Why are companies using IDN's ?

Try to answer these and then Welcome to the Club :wave:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
JeffM2 said:
Sweetie...

Watch it, that's borderline sexual harassment. :!:

:p

•••
Find it intresting that all you people get bought into this.

Why do you think people made that site? There is two google ads and a referral ad at the bottom. Like come on? That site was made to make the owner money. Not you.. It was made to allow you to click on there ads.. I would not be surprized if a kid made that and added in all those numbers.. So far I see no evidence of any kind of trading or ACTUAL money.. I can go place a bid on eBay for $1mill for a toy.. Doesn't mean I have to pay..

You guys are missing the point entirly. Fine go register your ððð.com see what I care.. But I still have yet to sell a laptop which has the abilty to create those characters.. Myself on one.. And who wants to have to switch to funny keyboards to hold down ALT and try to remember that code to push in for that one character.. In that time Ic an type in Blahnessblahnessblahness.foss English is the "GLOBAL" language.. It is only getting more popular.. Why do you want to go grab a pile of Arabic and Russian domains in funny characters?

This is your idea and philosophy.. Go do it.. See what I care.. Just stop shoving it down our throats as if we are suppose to follow like a herd of sheep.

If you have a problem with what I say.. Feel free to phone 1-800-GET-LOST

How dare you rudly insult the owner and everyone who believes in what they believe in. Like come on people.. Grow up.. It is our "faults" if you become a millionair.. Why would you want competition?

- Steve

•••
The unfortunate thing is that you will always get good and bad on every forum - that is the way of the world in general.

I have personally started looking at idns and have made numerous mistakes and have been told so in no uncertain manner by members appraising on a particular forum.eg. "It's crap" - to then have confirmed by another - "Yes it's crap". Remember I am a newbie seeking advice and hopefully encouragement.

This is course is not the norm and behind the scenes I have received good advice and encouragement from others. Despite my abrasive approach in some cases. :)

There will always be some people with a "holier than thou" attitude who will try to ram things down your throat when a simple softly softly approach would normally pay dividends.

It was quite sad to see the true colo/urs of some people put on display in both of the forums in question. But at least we now know where some of the problems lay.

There is room in this business for all colo/urs , creeds, religions and in particular variations on domain names- let's try and keep it a simple as that. JMO

•••
How dare you rudly insult the owner and everyone who believes in what they believe in. Like come on people.. Grow up.. It is our "faults" if you become a millionair.. Why would you want competition?

- Steve

REP ADDED

•••
wot said:
The unfortunate thing is that you will always get good and bad on every forum - that is the way of the world in general.

I have personally started looking at idns and have made numerous mistakes and have been told so in no uncertain manner by members appraising on a particular forum.eg. "It's crap" - to then have confirmed by another - "Yes it's crap". Remember I am a newbie seeking advice and hopefully encouragement.

This is course is not the norm and behind the scenes I have received good advice and encouragement from others. Despite my abrasive approach in some cases. :)

There will always be some people with a "holier than thou" attitude who will try to ram things down your throat when a simple softly softly approach would normally pay dividends.

It was quite sad to see the true colo/urs of some people put on display in both of the forums in question. But at least we now know where some of the problems lay.

There is room in this business for all colo/urs , creeds, religions and in particular variations on domain names- let's try and keep it a simple as that. JMO

Hey I have no problem with IDN's I will probably get one or two just because they have cool letters.. But.. What is the point of making and forum than insulting the owner of THIS forum. Than insulting the people who believe in what they believe in.. This has turned from a discussion on IDN's to somebody trying to prove somebody wrong.

It should be kept as a discussion.

- Steve

•••
It should indeed be kept as a discussion, but I can't seem to be able to fit your "1-800-GET-LOST" in there ;) .

Last edited:
•••
iNod said:
English is the "GLOBAL" language.. It is only getting more popular.. Why do you want to go grab a pile of Arabic and Russian domains in funny characters?

Hmm...
Try and get a cup of coffee in China with your "GLOBAL" language and see if you succeed.

Why do you call them funny characters? They are the characters of languages many thousands of years older than English. To say that is to deride and trash something you obviously have no idea about and displays a total lack of respect and knowledge for/about languages and cultures that have been around for millenia...

Simple fact is: People in China/Afghanistan/India/France/Japan etc will be delighted once they realise thay are able to surf in their respective languages using those 'funny characters'

•••
iNod said:
Hey I have no problem with IDN's I will probably get one or two just because they have cool letters.. But.. What is the point of making and forum than insulting the owner of THIS forum. Than insulting the people who believe in what they believe in.. This has turned from a discussion on IDN's to somebody trying to prove somebody wrong.

- Steve

H'mm - Before quoting it did you actually read what I said ?

•••
dottvfan said:
When is Olney - the king a ding a ling at IDNF - going to introduce an ASCII (non-IDN) section?
Actually, he added one a while ago. :]

•••
iNod said:
You guys are missing the point entirly. Fine go register your ððð.com see what I care.. But I still have yet to sell a laptop which has the abilty to create those characters.. Myself on one.. And who wants to have to switch to funny keyboards to hold down ALT and try to remember that code to push in for that one character.. In that time Ic an type in Blahnessblahnessblahness.foss English is the "GLOBAL" language.. It is only getting more popular.. Why do you want to go grab a pile of Arabic and Russian domains in funny characters?

This is a joke right? There billions of Chinese webpages in which the only Latin characters are in the URL. Are you really suggesting all these web page were created on a Querty keyboard.

In puttin speed for a Simplified Chinese Characters are reported to be as high as 160 words a minute. They type input everything else in Hanzi characters, why do suppose the URL would be any different.

Then there is the mobile side of things. Are you aware more Chinese access the web through their phone than on a PC? There are 300M mobiles in China and those are old stats. Chinese is ideal for this application because the information density for Chinese is much higher than for English.

I can only imagine you don't have Asian language fonts installed in your Operating System. This cause confusion with many as they just see the characters as little squares. Not surprising little of this makes any sense to them.

-db- said:
I just found the thread, and it's very disappointing to see the rude and disrespectful way you guys spoke to (and about) RJ and the NP community. I could point out the various flaws and errors in your statements, even give factual examples showing how and why you are wrong, but instead I think I'd rather just point out something ironic...

People at IDNF are calling us a community of kids, when inside the same thread their members have user titles like "The Dumb F**k" and "Dumber than Dumb F**k" etc.

I suppose that's the mature-adult forum?

Enough said.

Of course you are referring to me. I adopted the name Rubber Duck because of the constant abuse I have been subjected to by ASCII domainers, many of which couldn't pick a winner from DNJournals weekly lists. I think if you have a problem with me using such terms to describe myself then it is frankly you that have the problem.

From the little I know of RJ have no reason other than to respect him. I think, however, if this Forum sees itself primarily as support group for domain speculators, then it is well out of touch with what is really going on. Unfortunately, the US has so used to being a World Leader that it is now ingrained in the culture to undervalue what is going on elsewhere. It make me laugh when people talk about China's success all being based on US investment. The truth is that China is now the USA's banker. China keeps the US Government affloat and it props up the dollar. Without the cashflows from China the US would be flat on its face. OK, perhaps you don't respect their culture or their politics, but if you do not grant them a certain respect as a commercial competitor, they will bury you. The only thing that that the US has that China doesn't it that it has a more advanced economy. If they want to maintain the position of being the World's only Superpower, they are going to have to start paddling a lot harder!

david.amherst said:
That is not true at all. Microsoft didn't invent the internet, yet they make Internet Explorer, the most popular web browser all around the world, and they, along with many other technology companies in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries, would make sure that we would "be able to type english into the url bar"

Well that in itself is an admission that you at least feel that it is essential that you can browse in your own language. Perhaps it is not unreasonable to expect that non-English speakers would have similar sentiments?

david.amherst said:
And other languages, such as Spanish, Portuguese, French, and others all use the same characters as English, so your argument that only IDN domains would be in use today if someone in Japan invented the Internet, and that everyone would have to learn Japan to use the Internet, is absurd, a majority of the world wouldn't have been alienated from the Internet for all of this time if Japan had been the first to jump on the Internet bandwagon.

This is clearly incorrect. Only a very limited number of languages are restricted to the ASCII character set. English is almost unique in this respect.

Native English speakers make up only a very small proportion of the total World Population, although it is admittedly true they have enjoyed far greater access to the Internt up until now.

The Japanese, Chinese and indeed most of Asia are being alienated in this way. The fact that you seem to consider this acceptable whilst being aghast at the concept of the same thing happening to English speakers shows a biggoted, if not racist, perspective in my opinion.

david.amherst said:
I hate the arguement that IDN'rs use, that "not everyone in the world speaks English." Many more languages that English use the same characters that I am typing right now.

And Japanese users have been using the Internet for a long time, they have not needed to learn English.

These comments completely miss the point. You seem to have no concept of the relationships between URLs and Search. The fact that search is being conducted in scripts other than ASCII, means that normal SEO effect of a domain in ASCII is totally negated. The fact that conversion to IDN domains will re-establish this relationship is crucial to the SEO Industry and this will ultimately inevitability result in almost complete elimination of Latin Characters from the Domains of Asian Websites.

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck said:
Of course you are referring to me.
No. My main comment was not referring to any specific person. It was a general statement referring to anybody and everybody that was rude and disrespectful towards RJ and NamePros. The last part of my post might have referred to you, if you are one of the people with the user titles I mentioned, but that was just used as an example. Nothing personal.

Rubber Duck said:
I adopted the name Rubber Duck because of the constant abuse I have been subjected to by ASCII domainers...
Not by me. And judging from your lack of past activity here, not by other NamePros members. We are friendly and respectful here. All we ask is the same thing in return.

Rubber Duck said:
I think if you have a problem with me using such terms to describe myself then it is frankly you that have the problem.
I don't have a problem with you. I don't even know you. You are probably a great guy. B-)

But without a doubt, I think a business/investment related forum that allows such titles and language to be posted openly, is juvenile and unprofessional. Certainly not the type place I (or most people I know) would take seriously.

Anyway... back to the wonderful world of IDN's. :)

•••
My opinions about IDN's, up until a few days ago, were neutral. They're rapidly becoming negative.

You are hurting your cause with all this back and forth bs. You were given a forum especially for IDN's and you're using it to argue constantly?

Why don't you try making some quality threads and have some quality discussions. There really is no need to keep attacking everyone who says something that you don't agree with, who you feel is being negative towards IDN's or doesn't say "I love IDN's".

Take a look at the Dot TV forum, any of the blook debates or even Grrilla's Visual URL's - logonyms, alphaglyphs and more... THAT is how you convince people that IDN's are actually a good thing, they will be big and are a good investment.

Right now, if the people from the other forum and people in this thread (although not everyone in this thread) are representive of IDN's, and are the people I'd have to deal with if I wanted to buy or sell IDN's, then, quite frankly, I'd rather sit in a bath of acid or have my leg chopped off with a rusty hacksaw.

•••
If I found 100 LLL.com's available (hypothetically) I wouldn't go screaming to the entire domaining community to come along and register them with me, would you?

Yet that is basically what you are CLAIMING to be doing. These names will be worth millions, your missing the boat, blah blah blah, w/e.

Do you want the company because your goal in speculating in domains is to not make money? Hell no. It might just be you enjoy selling to the speculators you've managed to convince.

-Peter

•••
True these languages may be many millions of years old.. But I have still to see a Mespotaimian keyboard. The point of this entire thread is to prove somebody wrong and you are right.

Why in gods name would you want other people to start to register and grab up all the IDN's? Do it yourself and laugh at us when you make your millions..

As much as you guys don't get it. When you are in a business. Why would you want to limit your market to only a certain group? You know how many different styles of Chinese and Japenese there is? Aswell as the other languages.. If you get IDN's you are limiting your market to those of that language. Atleast English can be very easily translated int to your own language.

Rubber Ducky. (aswell as the others who quoted my post) It is my opnion and it will be left as my opnion. I see your opnion and it is fine.

- Steve

Last edited:
•••
:) let me play let me play

1. "adam dicker aka DOT COM GOD" - if you are going to refer to this man as your messiah, please don't hessitate to attend his church at the other end of the road.

2. yes you are trying to convince people to buy IDN's because you own many that will probably turn into a profit for you when you finally convince some of them.

3. english is the language i do business in, therefore i will stick to ascii domains

4. nothing wrong with investing in IDN's at all, but just remember it's not for everyone

5. blasting RJ on another forum just shows your lack of respect in general for other domainers, and if this forum is "just kids" why would you want an IDN forum here anyways? now i will say, i like NP for some reasons, and dislike it for some reason, but no where will you find me posting about the negatives or ranting and raving about them, instead i am more interested in doing something different that serves my purpose. if i was RJ i would tell you all to f*ck off :)

6. you are not helping your cause at all with all this nonsence, if IDN's are going to be HUGE, then guess what you can laugh at all of us on your way to the top! if not we can laugh at you on your way down. thats just how the world works. but for something that is going to be so HUGE you sure do seem that you are wanting to convince lots of people, but there is an old addage that goes "actions speak louder than words"

7. who cares if bill gates owns IDN's, he probably owns a pink thong also cause it makes him feel pretty but i will stick to my boxer shorts for the comfort.

well i don't know if any of that makes any sence but thought i would share

•••
donlee said:
:) 7. who cares if bill gates owns IDN's, he probably owns a pink thong also cause it makes him feel pretty but i will stick to my boxer shorts for the comfort.

:yell: Gave me a smile ty...

Such a shame a handful of childish members can make another forum look so bad.

Long live namepros

•••
Joseph said:
Because he is a <Edited NPStaff β„’>.

The sole purpose of this thread is to get members to your shitty forum, saying RJ is arrogant etc - have you seen your forum what a bunch of knobheads.

Well if this contribution is suppose to convey a positive message of any kind, I think you can assume it has failed. Adam Dicker is a highly knowledgible and respected domainer and a longtime IDN sceptic. He is now doing what he can to develop the IDNF at DNFs as he sees it as not only being essential to his business, but beneficial to his members. I think he will admit that most of his information was initially assembled at IDNFs, which like it or loath it is a unique resource for domainers. One would hope that much of the more important content could be imparted here so that those members of Namepros that interested and wish to become involved can do so with maximum amount of support. Those that do not are of course free to pursue their interests elsewhere, but we would hope that if you enter this subforum that was specifically established for IDNers, then you will respect the IDN ethos. For my part I can assure you that I have little interest in contributing to threads on other parts of this forum or going into the Chat Room where so much of the trouble has arisen. Personally, I do not take much interest in Chat Rooms, but was only having a nose around to see what was going on, when things rather blew up in my face last night. Perhaps that is lesson not to play with things I don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
-db- said:
No. My main comment was not referring to any specific person. It was a general statement referring to anybody and everybody that was rude and disrespectful towards RJ and NamePros. The last part of my post might have referred to you, if you are one of the people with the user titles I mentioned, but that was just used as an example. Nothing personal.

Not by me. And judging from your lack of past activity here, not by other NamePros members. We are friendly and respectful here. All we ask is the same thing in return.

I don't have a problem with you. I don't even know you. You are probably a great guy. B-)

But without a doubt, I think a business/investment related forum that allows such titles and language to be posted openly, is juvenile and unprofessional. Certainly not the type place I (or most people I know) would take seriously.

Anyway... back to the wonderful world of IDN's. :)

Respect. I guess we have developed our own group and subculture that perhaps is not always transparent to outsiders, but our membership is drawn from most cultures and most countries and there is a fair degree of tolerance, but of course there is also certain amount of horse play.

Joseph said:
Don't tell me Adam is your boyfriend

I have never met Adam. We may not even have stepped foot on the same continent.

You guys talk about respect then when someone else asks the same, we get this childish sexual inuendo. Well frankly I am confident about my sexuality, and don't need to show you the size of my member, to exponge any lerking insecurities.

Last edited:
•••
Rubber Duck said:
Well frankly I am confident about my sexuality, and don't need to show you the size of my member, to exponge any lerking insecurities.

Shame :hehe:

•••
iNod said:

- Steve

Totally, agree. I don't think anyone got into domaining except for the opportunity to make huge amounts of cash. I got out of conventional ASCII domains because it became apparent that I had missed out on the really big opportunities, and that to score big I need big ideas. Pool was more or less killing off the drops game where I focused at the time, and it was clear that I didn't have the IT skills necessary to getting into scripting or data mining. Then I dropped on the IDN game. There were huge opportunities here as a number of things became apparent.

It was clear that many of the initial issues that caused the orginal collapse of interest were being resolved just as many of the initial investors were dropping their intial registrations. Many more translations facilities had come on line in the intervening period, and Unicode scripts were being added that had previously not been available. Confusion was everywhere, but so were god given opportunities. We stumbled into a handful of total unfamilar languages and scripts, and we made lots of mistakes but the uniqueness of the domains we picked up in the earlier days was mesmirising. Unfortunately, if anything we not sufficiently ambitious enough by half which enabled others like Giant of IDNFs to pick up even better stuff. The one big advantage we had though was a total ignorance of the languages we were speculating in. That meant that unlike most other investors at the time we did not restrict ourselves to what we knew, but branched out into uncharted territory. It was a madness on a scale that dwarfed the great game of the Nineteenth Century.

•••
iNod said:
True these languages may be many millions of years old.. But I have still to see a Mespotaimian keyboard.
Because YOU havnt seen it doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Heres a list of keyboards available for purchase:

Arabic
Belgian
Bulgarian
Burmese
Chinese
Croatian/Slovenian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Estonian
Farsi
French Canadian
French European
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latin American
Macedonian
Nepali
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Russian Cyrillic
Sinhala
Slovak
Spanish
Swedish/Finnish
Swiss
Tamil
Thai
Urdu
Vietnamese
http://www.customkeys.com/foreign.html

iNod said:
As much as you guys don't get it. When you are in a business. Why would you want to limit your market to only a certain group? You know how many different styles of Chinese and Japenese there is? Aswell as the other languages..

Rubber Ducky. (aswell as the others who quoted my post) It is my opnion and it will be left as my opnion. I see your opnion and it is fine.

- Steve
English is ranked 4th by native speakers.
Chinese, Hindi and Spanish being spoken by more people.
So you think 1080,000,000 Chimese people would rather buy books on the internet in English?

iNod said:
If you get IDN's you are limiting your market to those of that language.
Logic tells me that it would be preferable to target the 1080,000,000 Chinese speakers than the 322,000,000 English speakers

iNod said:
Atleast English can be very easily translated int to your own language.
Wrong. A lot of what you would call foreign languages cant be translated into English. In fact English is one of the least expressive languages there is.

•••
JeffM2 said:
Sweetie I mean if everything was invented in China or Japan. (MS being a Chinese company, Verisign being a Chinese company etc) What is so hard to understand. It's obvious.
Sweetie? That's just creepy. D-:

I completely disagree with you, which is fine, but with the prominence of America economically, the Internet would not have gone so long with its citizens being completely alienated from the Internet.

Rubber Duck said:
]The fact that you seem to consider this acceptable whilst being aghast at the concept of the same thing happening to English speakers shows a biggoted, if not racist, perspective in my opinion.

And where did I say that it was acceptable? While you try to make IDNs sound like a new concept and are a huge humanitarian effort, they have been around for a long time, they have simply just picked up steam into becoming fully implemented.

I have not once said that I do not support IDNs, I was simply responding to somebody's arguement which I didn't agree with.

You and others are not doing a good job at promoting IDNs. You (referring to what I've seen at IDNF and a little of here, not you specifically) have continually attacked this community, and have been trying to shove IDNs down our throats. If they are such a gold mine, why are you trying to force everyone into registering them? Why won't you save all of them for yourselves? From what I've seen of the passionate IDN'rs, if someone doesn't want to invest in them, they are a ignorant racist who doesn't recognize any language other than English. I can't speak for others, but while I do support the implementation of IDNs into modern browsers, I am not going to invest in them, because I am not familiar with the languages. That does not make me a racist or a bigot, just a wise and level-headed investor.

•••
david.amherst said:
I completely disagree with you, which is fine, but with the prominence of America economically, the Internet would not have gone so long with its citizens being completely alienated from the Internet.

So imagine the New Leaps and Bounds we will Reach with some of the most inovative people now being " not alienated " and I'll also add that is a Few Billion more people joining this party

And on the note of why are we not keeping this a secret, some of the newbies on our forum would probably ask us to shut up because they want get the portfolios up but we feel there is enough to go around hate it or love it

Last edited:
•••
thegenius1 said:
So imagine the New Leaps and Bounds we will Reach with some of the most inovative people now being " not alienated " and I'll also add that is a Few Billion more people joining this party

And on the note of why are we not keeping this a secret, some of the newbies on our forum would probably ask us to shut up because they want get the portfolios up but we feel there is enough to go around hate it or love it
It'll be great with more people being able to use the Internet in their native language completely, but billions more won't be joining the party. The world population isn't much more than 6 billion, and users in Japan, China, and other countries have been using the internet for a long time. It'll make it easier, but I don't think it'll cause many more people to start using the internet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back