Dynadot

discuss No sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mark4domain

Established Member
Impact
Very frustrating to see no sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to, is this a trend others are experiencing too?

Most of my portfolio is 2 word names, or brandable names under 7 characters ( listed on 3rd parties)
3rd parties = about 150 on Brandbucket, 150 on Brandpa, 50 on SquadHelp = all priced by them
Rest, mostly 2 word, landing on DAN, listed on afternic and godaddy - all priced competitively near $2900
Most domains are 2+ years. Average sale was 3 domains per month till July.
Usually i get lowball offers, but that haven't been coming in for a couple of months.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very frustrating to see no sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to, is this a trend others are experiencing too?

Record sales here in quantity and average sale price.

If you want feedback, I suggest describe your inventory and how you are selling it.

•••
Record sales here in quantity and average sale price.

If you want feedback, I suggest describe your inventory and how you are selling it.
Thanks for the reply Rob, i have updated my post with details. Please have a look.

•••
Brandables are like art -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some folks know that a 2-word brandable domains sold on Epik for more than $250K last week. Why? Because someone else besides the registrant agreed with the registrant that the branded was clever.

I think the emerging problem with SH and BP is brand saturation. There are too many choices of random combinations of letters with jazzy logos. The client gets 200+ suggestions. They are spoiled for choice.

When you have a brandable domain on a name-advisory platform, you are in a buyer's market.

When you have a brandable domain in isolation on its own landing page, you are in a seller's market. The buyer is looking at one domain: your domain and they love it.

My advice for brandables is to not price them. List them as Make Offer and wait for your buyer to come to you. Here is how I do it:

https://tussi.com/

That domain was one of mine -- a 2011 dropcatch caught on Epik. It sold for 30,000 Euros last month using that exact lander. I asked for $100,000 and settled for less because I liked the buyer. They buyer is happy.

And now you know.

•••
So you have 350 domains if my math is correct.

The accepted turnover rate is about 1-2% a year when it comes to passive end user sales.
That would be about 3.5 to 7 a year on average.

I would say your previous sales of a 3/month are more of an outlier than no sales in a month.

Sales are just streaky. I own 5K+ domains and that is still the case.
I know people who own way more domains than me and it is still streaky.

It is just how it works out with high upside/low liquidity assets.

Brad

•••
3 sales per month for how long? How big is your total portfolio? The smaller your portfolio the larger the fluctuations. Summer is traditionally a bit quieter as well.

I personally don't list on the exclusive branding marketplaces. Way too many other domains .. your domains just get lost in an ocean .. even good domains have little chances .. and you aren't even allowed to list it anywhere else (that actually reason I'm not a big fan of them).

@bmugford .. he has 350 on the branded sites .. but didn't mention the rest yet.

Last edited:
•••
I personally don't list on the exclusive branding marketplaces. Way too many other domains .. your domains just get lost in an ocean .. even good domains have little chances .. and you aren't even allowed to list it anywhere else (that actually reason I'm not a big fan of them).

I agree. I don't really see the value in these brand marketplaces, with their limited traffic and huge commissions.

You are probably a lot better off just listing on venues like GoDaddy/Afternic that have many more eyeballs than all the brand marketplaces combined.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
That domain was one of mine -- a 2011 dropcatch caught on Epik. It sold for 30,000 Euros last month using that exact lander. I asked for $100,000 and settled for less because I liked the buyer. They buyer is happy.

Gr8 sale Rob.

•••
Gr8 sale Rob.

I have bigger ones, but gave that to illustrate the point about how to market brandables.

SH ,BP, and BB are great for my dear friends in Nigeria who like buying a $6 .COM and selling for $2K.

However, for swinging for the fences with great brandable names, I am not a fan of brand factories.

I think some people would be quite surprised to know that brandables routinely go for more than $100K.

•••
That domain was one of mine -- a 2011 dropcatch caught on Epik.
Do we even have a chance to catch anything good on Epik if the CEO has his own interests in good domains? :xf.wink:

•••
Do we even have a chance to catch anything good on Epik if the CEO has his own interests in good domains? :xf.wink:

I rarely chase these days. Seriously, WAY too busy. I have been buying some names in the after-market from folks who wanted liquidity. We publish free drop lists with analytics.

•••
Build great traffic on domaining niche is one of strategy, its need seo effort, sometime really hard , but we could control and engage with all potential buyer on our website, then choose only serious buyer in right time.

Sales come into income when we are developing other domain, then sell valuable domain, not always in .com. It is important to get cash money than hold domain for zero meney

•••
There are many lowballers, and fake buyers, at the two big marketplaces. There are a few possible explanations: Either they abuse their roles in domain industry, or their competitors are making fake offers to make sellers hate them. Cure: Show IPs.
This October is worse than August and September. I was expecting the opposite. For the first time in my life I have 4 figure number of domains in an October, and their total Estibot value is over a million. But there are no offers, or only low or fake offers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I rarely chase these days. Seriously, WAY too busy. I have been buying some names in the after-market from folks who wanted liquidity. We publish free drop lists with analytics.

Hi @Rob Monster what's the URL for "drop lists with analytics" please? TY

•••
I have bigger ones, but gave that to illustrate the point about how to market brandables.

SH ,BP, and BB are great for my dear friends in Nigeria who like buying a $6 .COM and selling for $2K.

However, for swinging for the fences with great brandable names, I am not a fan of brand factories.

I think some people would be quite surprised to know that brandables routinely go for more than $100K.
Why Nigerians? Must you reference us to make your point....this is getting too much

•••
Why Nigerians? Must you reference us to make your point....this is getting too much

In case not aware, we have lots of Nigerian clients. I hired 2 Nigerians in the last month. I have specifically heard multiple success stories of guys doing exactly the model I explained and making a great living doing exactly that -- buying for $6-8 and selling for $2K. I am saying it has created a lot supply on those sites, which is why SquadHelp clients might expect 500 submissions per engagement. Personally, I don't like those odds. However, to be clear, I am a huge fan of Nigeria. Huge. We are adding a .NG accreditation and I expect we'll build out a significant footprint there. Clear now?

•••
•••
I sold 3 domains in may and june and in july, august & september was zero sale i thinking like you but suddenly 2 sales this week.
So don't sad sales will come soon!

•••
In case not aware, we have lots of Nigerian clients. I hired 2 Nigerians in the last month. I have specifically heard multiple success stories of guys doing exactly the model I explained and making a great living doing exactly that -- buying for $6-8 and selling for $2K. I am saying it has created a lot supply on those sites, which is why SquadHelp clients might expect 500 submissions per engagement. Personally, I don't like those odds. However, to be clear, I am a huge fan of Nigeria. Huge. We are adding a .NG accreditation and I expect we'll build out a significant footprint there. Clear now?

It still doesn't warrant the reference to Nigeria as such a style is not exclusive to Nigerians only. Stop playing this kind of game as it'll affect the love for Epik as a brand if it continues.

Last edited:
•••
It still doesn't warrant the reference to Nigeria as such a style is not exclusive to Nigerians only. Stop playing this kind of game.

I consider Nigeria to be an emerging Domaining hotbed as well as a great place to pilot Digital Empowerment projects. For calibration, a middle class income there is about $250/month. Our new Digital Empowerent project called eRise.org, is led by @Abdullah Abdullah , a Somali based in Yemen. Earlier today, we hired our first Indonesian who starts work November 1, and who secured Epik.ID. I am sure we will be sharing other entrepreneurial success stories all over the world. Hope that clarifies.

•••
I don't agree with your reply...why not chose other country to drive out your point..why Nigeria?

•••
You are not alone...
My last enduser sale was in June - plural .online for $1.7K
And then silent period... still no luck...

•••
Dry spell is part of the business, no matter the size and quality of your portfolio

•••
When you have a brandable domain on a name-advisory platform, you are in a buyer's market.

When you have a brandable domain in isolation on its own landing page, you are in a seller's market.

The buyer is looking at one domain: your domain and they love it.

how does a buyer, find your brandable in isolation, when brandables really don't have type-in traffic?

and....
if a brandable does have traffic, then whether it is in isolation or listed on a "name advisory platform"... when a visitor reaches it, both will have their respective landing pages.

at that point, in either situation, the visitor/buyer is still looking at one domain.

so, logically, for those brandables without any traffic, a "name advisory platform", may be in their best interest to use.

just saying....

as for the OP not having any sales since July
i'd say look at the big picture and see your averages over the span of time, that you've been domaining.

see how far you've come from where you started, and look at far you can go.

imo...

•••
Back