IT.COM

discuss No sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mark4domain

Established Member
Impact
Very frustrating to see no sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to, is this a trend others are experiencing too?

Most of my portfolio is 2 word names, or brandable names under 7 characters ( listed on 3rd parties)
3rd parties = about 150 on Brandbucket, 150 on Brandpa, 50 on SquadHelp = all priced by them
Rest, mostly 2 word, landing on DAN, listed on afternic and godaddy - all priced competitively near $2900
Most domains are 2+ years. Average sale was 3 domains per month till July.
Usually i get lowball offers, but that haven't been coming in for a couple of months.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Brandables are like art -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some folks know that a 2-word brandable domains sold on Epik for more than $250K last week. Why? Because someone else besides the registrant agreed with the registrant that the branded was clever.

I think the emerging problem with SH and BP is brand saturation. There are too many choices of random combinations of letters with jazzy logos. The client gets 200+ suggestions. They are spoiled for choice.

When you have a brandable domain on a name-advisory platform, you are in a buyer's market.

When you have a brandable domain in isolation on its own landing page, you are in a seller's market. The buyer is looking at one domain: your domain and they love it.

My advice for brandables is to not price them. List them as Make Offer and wait for your buyer to come to you. Here is how I do it:

https://tussi.com/

That domain was one of mine -- a 2011 dropcatch caught on Epik. It sold for 30,000 Euros last month using that exact lander. I asked for $100,000 and settled for less because I liked the buyer. They buyer is happy.

And now you know.

•••
So you have 350 domains if my math is correct.

The accepted turnover rate is about 1-2% a year when it comes to passive end user sales.
That would be about 3.5 to 7 a year on average.

I would say your previous sales of a 3/month are more of an outlier than no sales in a month.

Sales are just streaky. I own 5K+ domains and that is still the case.
I know people who own way more domains than me and it is still streaky.

It is just how it works out with high upside/low liquidity assets.

Brad

•••
Gr8 sale Rob.

I have bigger ones, but gave that to illustrate the point about how to market brandables.

SH ,BP, and BB are great for my dear friends in Nigeria who like buying a $6 .COM and selling for $2K.

However, for swinging for the fences with great brandable names, I am not a fan of brand factories.

I think some people would be quite surprised to know that brandables routinely go for more than $100K.

•••
3 sales per month for how long? How big is your total portfolio? The smaller your portfolio the larger the fluctuations. Summer is traditionally a bit quieter as well.

I personally don't list on the exclusive branding marketplaces. Way too many other domains .. your domains just get lost in an ocean .. even good domains have little chances .. and you aren't even allowed to list it anywhere else (that actually reason I'm not a big fan of them).

@bmugford .. he has 350 on the branded sites .. but didn't mention the rest yet.

Last edited:
•••
When you have a brandable domain on a name-advisory platform, you are in a buyer's market.

When you have a brandable domain in isolation on its own landing page, you are in a seller's market.

The buyer is looking at one domain: your domain and they love it.

how does a buyer, find your brandable in isolation, when brandables really don't have type-in traffic?

and....
if a brandable does have traffic, then whether it is in isolation or listed on a "name advisory platform"... when a visitor reaches it, both will have their respective landing pages.

at that point, in either situation, the visitor/buyer is still looking at one domain.

so, logically, for those brandables without any traffic, a "name advisory platform", may be in their best interest to use.

just saying....

as for the OP not having any sales since July
i'd say look at the big picture and see your averages over the span of time, that you've been domaining.

see how far you've come from where you started, and look at far you can go.

imo...

•••
I personally don't list on the exclusive branding marketplaces. Way too many other domains .. your domains just get lost in an ocean .. even good domains have little chances .. and you aren't even allowed to list it anywhere else (that actually reason I'm not a big fan of them).

I agree. I don't really see the value in these brand marketplaces, with their limited traffic and huge commissions.

You are probably a lot better off just listing on venues like GoDaddy/Afternic that have many more eyeballs than all the brand marketplaces combined.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Why Nigerians? Must you reference us to make your point....this is getting too much

In case not aware, we have lots of Nigerian clients. I hired 2 Nigerians in the last month. I have specifically heard multiple success stories of guys doing exactly the model I explained and making a great living doing exactly that -- buying for $6-8 and selling for $2K. I am saying it has created a lot supply on those sites, which is why SquadHelp clients might expect 500 submissions per engagement. Personally, I don't like those odds. However, to be clear, I am a huge fan of Nigeria. Huge. We are adding a .NG accreditation and I expect we'll build out a significant footprint there. Clear now?

•••
I sold 3 domains in may and june and in july, august & september was zero sale i thinking like you but suddenly 2 sales this week.
So don't sad sales will come soon!

•••
It still doesn't warrant the reference to Nigeria as such a style is not exclusive to Nigerians only. Stop playing this kind of game.

I consider Nigeria to be an emerging Domaining hotbed as well as a great place to pilot Digital Empowerment projects. For calibration, a middle class income there is about $250/month. Our new Digital Empowerent project called eRise.org, is led by @Abdullah Abdullah , a Somali based in Yemen. Earlier today, we hired our first Indonesian who starts work November 1, and who secured Epik.ID. I am sure we will be sharing other entrepreneurial success stories all over the world. Hope that clarifies.

•••
Is it only Nigerians that are making more than GDP per capital domaining?

Of course there are there other groups. I just happen to know about a particular Nigerian who is making a nice income buying hand-reg domains and selling them on SH for $2K per domain. He has a good talent for naming and he has been teaching others. I would call that a success story worth celebrating. Sorry if it offends you but seriously, I think we have to celebrate our wins.

My point here though is the Nigerian guys who are selling their brandables for $2K, might be able to sell them on their own direct landers and get a lot more. Instead, they are training people to go to SH and shop at the warehouse. I think that is a really bad idea, and think the industry would be better off if all the best inventory resolved to their own landers rather than training people to show at the discount warehouse where everyone competes on price.

•••
Dry spell is part of the business, no matter the size and quality of your portfolio

•••
It still doesn't warrant the reference to Nigeria as such a style is not exclusive to Nigerians only. Stop playing this kind of game as it'll affect the love for Epik as a brand if it continues.
Uhhh :xf.sick: I see nothing wrong in his use of my country as a reference point. Your reply is unnecessary and distasteful.

•••
I have bigger ones, but gave that to illustrate the point about how to market brandables.

SH ,BP, and BB are great for my dear friends in Nigeria who like buying a $6 .COM and selling for $2K.

However, for swinging for the fences with great brandable names, I am not a fan of brand factories.

I think some people would be quite surprised to know that brandables routinely go for more than $100K.
Why Nigerians? Must you reference us to make your point....this is getting too much

•••
I made no sales from the start of the year....and then this month i made 3 sales in a matter of one week.
Hope to keep it going.

•••
Do we even have a chance to catch anything good on Epik if the CEO has his own interests in good domains? :xf.wink:

I rarely chase these days. Seriously, WAY too busy. I have been buying some names in the after-market from folks who wanted liquidity. We publish free drop lists with analytics.

•••
I don't agree with your reply...why not chose other country to drive out your point..why Nigeria?

Seriously, I have yet to meet a Nigerian I didn't like. I also have yet to meet a Norwegian I didn't like. Can we not just embrace our national diversity and not get offended when celebrating the fact that there are people from a certain part of the world that are making way more than the GDP per capita by domaining? Seriously, people need to chill out about this stuff.

•••
@Rob Monster .. how many domains do you and/or Epik own personally?

If .COM is the Gold standard, and I believe it is, and also that it is becoming more so as the other extensions bow down to it, e.g. even the .AI and .IO trendies eventually get .COM envy. True story.
So, if someone decides they want the .COM, they will look to see who has it -- often just by typing it in to see what is there. That is where a convincing SSL lander is quite helpful.
I agree with the root of what you're saying. But most of the time when a .ai or .io sells, it because the one-word .com they wanted simply was not available or not within their budget .. so then they ask .. do they still want the same TLD or the same SLD.

There are some advantages to having a one-word non-.com over a two-word .com. But ultimately the more important disadvantages only become more apparent after the fact (namely missing emails and lost traffic to the .com). Having that one-word "name" also is initially easier to market .. and it's only afterward that most companies realise that in terms of marketing, one-word domains are actually two words including the .TLD (and two-word domains are actually three-words) .. so .. the initial illusionary advantage of one-word vs two-word is big .. BUT .. effectively the difference should have been measured between the full one-word domain (2 words including TLD) vs the full two-word .com domain (3 words, but with a significantly more powerful TLD) .. so 1:2 appears big at first .. but then they realise that effectively it's 2:3 PLUS the 2 has significant technical disadvantages ... all of a sudden that two-word .com looks a whole ton more appealing .. and/.or .. that huge pricetag of the one-word .com seems a lot more justified/realistic.

Well I started 18 months ago and over the next 6 months my portfolio was 360. After a lot of reading on namepros and also bad feedback from members, I dropped over 200 to tidy up the portfolio a bit. Mostly dot coms now. Still never had a sale, lowball offer, enquiry or get spam. It's like they are invisible grrrrr.Anyone can see my portfolio from my signature.is there anyone else who has gone 18 months without a sale, enquiry, or even lowball offer ? I can't be the only one. Or can I ?
I just took a peak at the first few pages .. and I'm really sorry to say that I'm not surprised you haven't had any sales. Unfortunately I think it will likely be a while if ever before you see any sales. Most of them simply do not have realistic end users .. even less who would pay more than regfee. The one or two that weren't bad were way overpriced.

Tots1 has many different uses but my idea for that one was (team of the season) division 1. And then there could be division 2,3,4 ect.
The hardest fact people need to face as new domainers is that as fun as it is to come up with great imaginitive ideas for domain uses (it's usually why we initially fall in love with domains), in the end it's the wrong approach. You need to focus on domains where there are existing AND in demand AND profitable uses for the domains you acquire. You really need to clear your head and ask yourself .. who is out there today who will pay more than regfee for Tots1? I can't think of one ... and you'd need A LOT to compensate for the fact it's fundamentally not a great domain plus there are likely tons of alternatives. Good luck with them all the same .. there are certainly the occasional one-off lucky sale .. but I really advise you focus on good strong quality two-word .com domains with existing end-users in profitable industries.

Sorry for being so negative .. but hopefully it will help you shift to the better direction! :)

Let's say you set up a $10 Taco stand -- very nice tacos, and a nice location off the highway with no other dining options around. It is just you. I bet you do just fine.

Contrast that with the guy selling $10 tacos on the street corner, right next to an intersection that has a McDonalds, a TacoBell, a Burger King, a WalMart and a Costco.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be the lonely guy with the premium taco stand.
Not necessary .. lol .. just as important as the competition is the traffic ... there's probably a reason there's a McD's, TB, BK, etc in that area .. it's traffic (either quantity or/and quality). In most cases you're better off getting 5% of traffic from the best intersection in town than you are getting 100% of traffic at the worst intersection.

HOWEVER .. if you tacos are damn good .. good enough that people will come your tacos (instead of you needing to be where they are) .. then moving to a quieter location makes more sense so that nobody is distracted by the 2 Whoppers for $7 promotion!

While I don't totally agree with your Taco analogy .. ultimate it doesn't really matter when it comes to domains, because we aren't about just a few competing restaurants ... we're talking about thousands of competing domains to distract potential buyers. So many that in fact most people who would likely love your tacos, unltimately never even see them or know you're there.

So yeah .. agreed .. brandable marketplaces are bad for good domains .. but they can be better for domains that don't really stand out or that won't be specifically searched for (don't have at least one meaningful keyword). That being said .. bad domains still won't have a good likelihood of selling either way! lol

The one positive thing about the brandable market places, is that attract BUYERS .. there are people there who will buy the best domain they find .. so they aren't particularly useless .. but listing your domains there is a lottery for the most part ... with very low chances. The math was just stupid when they were charging $10 to list your domains there (and also demanding exclusivity) .. seems most have dropped to $1 .. I haven't really analysed the new math .. but it's not a place for the better quality find-able domains.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

domain names have been selling for years, many without landers.

there is also no statistical data to support any theory, that not having a SSL certificate on an "offer to buy" lander has been a deterrent to interested parties wanting to purchase that domain name.

therefore there is no evidence that traffic to a brandable domains' page is wasted, if it doesn't have a SSL certificate.

in other words, no SSL certificate is needed or required to sell a domain, nor has it been proven that not having one will limit your sales.

imo...

What has changed?

- Ad blockers are now common and block most of the content on a parking page.

- Search engines have weighted SSL as a standard. SSLs are increasingly free Any serious site should have one.

- GDPR has turned WHOIS into Swiss cheese. A very high percentage of domains now have no way to contact the registrant as a result.

All that said, do as you like.

•••
I told kamal to stop replying you....Germany is scam..period

For the record, I think Nigerians are awesome.

I very much look forward to visiting Nigeria in 2020 and to celebrate a massive surge of domaining success and digital empowerment there. Although I must add that Las Palmas is very nice, I cannot think of a better place to scale-up an expansion in Africa than Nigeria.

So, let's please give a warm welcome to the fast-growing Nigerian domaining community, and help them to become wildly successful in this business. I think many of them are off to an amazing start and I think the industry should consider this to be a big positive.

My main advice to Nigerians is to not sell too cheap. When selling to retail buyers, especially brandable domains, nobody knows whether you are wealthy or not. It does not matter. They want a domain that you have. I will happily help anyone to close deals.

Last night I helped a guy sell a domain for $6000. He is taking his girlfriend (and future wife) on a vacation to the British Virgin Islands using the money he made from selling a 2 word domain. The buyer is happy. The seller is happy. As for the girlfriend? We'll see!

Last edited:
•••
Very frustrating to see no sales since July, is there a whining fairy to reach out to, is this a trend others are experiencing too?

Record sales here in quantity and average sale price.

If you want feedback, I suggest describe your inventory and how you are selling it.

•••
In case not aware, we have lots of Nigerian clients. I hired 2 Nigerians in the last month. I have specifically heard multiple success stories of guys doing exactly the model I explained and making a great living doing exactly that -- buying for $6-8 and selling for $2K. I am saying it has created a lot supply on those sites, which is why SquadHelp clients might expect 500 submissions per engagement. Personally, I don't like those odds. However, to be clear, I am a huge fan of Nigeria. Huge. We are adding a .NG accreditation and I expect we'll build out a significant footprint there. Clear now?

It still doesn't warrant the reference to Nigeria as such a style is not exclusive to Nigerians only. Stop playing this kind of game as it'll affect the love for Epik as a brand if it continues.

Last edited:
•••
Seriously, I have yet to meet a Nigerian I didn't like. I also have yet to meet a Norwegian I didn't like. Can we not just embrace our national diversity and not get offended when celebrating the fact that there are people from a certain part of the world that are making way more than the GDP per capita by domaining? Seriously, people need to chill out about this stuff.

People from Nigeria were getting offended when Ategy said $5,000 was a life changing amount, imagine the feelings from a $30 grant. Not sure where you get your stats at $250 a month, but Salary Explorer has average salary at $1,286 a month. I think some are getting offended because you keep setting people up as desperate, poor and needy for marketing purposes. I think it's rubbing some people wrong. That's pretty clear from this thread and the other thread.

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=158&loctype=1

-------------

Most of my portfolio is 2 word names, or brandable names under 7 characters ( listed on 3rd parties)
3rd parties = about 150 on Brandbucket, 150 on Brandpa, 50 on SquadHelp = all priced by them
Rest, mostly 2 word, landing on DAN, listed on afternic and godaddy - all priced competitively near $2900
Most domains are 2+ years. Average sale was 3 domains per month till July.
Usually i get lowball offers, but that haven't been coming in for a couple of months.

Domaining is just not a steady business like a job. Was just reading the other thread of somebody getting 2 big new gtld sales in 24 hours.

Last edited:
•••
I have had some of my best ever months between June and now. Historically there is a slower time in the summer months especially august, but I didn't notice it this year. Sorry cant answer as to why you did not have sales

•••

Lol. I am a Nigerian and I understand your point of view about $2k sale, because when converted to our currency it is a huge money for an average Nigerian.

Domaining in this part of the country is a great advantage to many of us, especially when you are making huge sales.
I am yet to make my first 5 figure sale.

But I hope I will make such sale soon.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back