NameSilo
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
Last year with a portfolio of 500 domain names I sold 5 domain names priced at
$2888 , $2500 , $265 , $120 & $999 with my last sale in July 2022

The year before that I sold 7 domain names each sale was for $265

All sales were from Afternic apart from the highest sale $2888 which was on Dan.

I believe my domains are decent but with no sales what should I do? Reduce prices? Try another lander?

( I'm currently using Afternic NS3/NS4 landers )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have not read the whole thread, so my post may be repetitive.

In my case, I had no sale for the last part of 2021 and no sale in 2022. with low xxxx names, this became quite an issue.

However, 2023 has been very good. Although dozens of leads came thru nic and dan, not a single one closed through them...as a matter of fact, they lost the biggest sale because the buyer eventually reached out to me directly.

When times are tough, I raise my prices rather than lower. They are all priced at a reasonable retail number to begin with...a buyer can take the name at the price listed or move on.
How many domains do you currently own and what price figures are you listing your domains at ? 3 figure , 4 figures?

•••
This year I've had the worst 3 months ever since I started domaining. Didn't make up even for renewals.

Last year, second half went bad but on the last minute we made a few good sales and went past the finish line.

However there were other factors at play this year (long story, some mistakes).

But in any case, 2023 doesn't look like a domain selling bonanza to me. It used to prior to 2022, I kinda miss those days.

Edit: Note, I'm not worried as there are always fluctuations, but you know, it's not a good feeling to have 3 months in red.

Last edited:
•••
What sites do you use before putting a price on your domain names?
Hi

i don't use any site that will influence pricing.

since the profit is made on the "buy side",
i prefer to keep the envelope open.

however,
if you list on goodaddy/afternic, they will "put" their appraisal value for your name, somewhere on the page.

so, are they attempting to influence the domain owner and even potential buyer, to "consider"... then eventually "conform" these assessments, as a "norm"?

or, has it already happened?

imo...

•••
•••
Hi

i don't use any site that will influence pricing.

since the profit is made on the "buy side",
i prefer to keep the envelope open.

however,
if you list on goodaddy/afternic, they will "put" their appraisal value for your name, somewhere on the page.

so, are they attempting to influence the domain owner and even potential buyer, to "consider"... then eventually "conform" these assessments, as a "norm"?

or, has it already happened?

imo...
That’s a good point.

What sites are you using to sell your domains and what landers are you using ?

•••
How many domains do you currently own and what price figures are you listing your domains at ? 3 figure , 4 figures?
Low xxxx with only about 25 non coms. Less than 7% of my names are priced under 1000...only names I want to get rid of are priced low.

•••
That’s a good point.

What sites are you using to sell your domains and what landers are you using ?
HI

all are pointed to PPC pages on various platforms, like bodis, sedo, parkingcrew, afternic
only a few are using dan.com landers with no ads.

imo...

•••
I was looking at site where all your names are listed DomainKnights . Co .uk
Thanks for sharing the url, always helps
Had hard time even remembering url .this .uk
Have you thought of using .com?
Minimum ooffer 50k for ask claude com
I dunno dude
In your opening post your highest sale was 2888$
Pricing may be issue.
Whois Claude?
Thanks for your opinion. What do others think about the pricing?

Your last question @MasterOfMyDomains Claude is reference Claude Ai

•••
I would use Dan or Afternic landers with BINs for most domains.

•••
•••

All sales were from Afternic apart from the highest sale $2888 which was on Dan.

I believe my domains are decent but with no sales what should I do? Reduce prices? Try another lander?

( I'm currently using Afternic NS3/NS4 landersI )
I am in the same boat! I am convinced that the only way forward is to develop our domains into meaningful blogs/sites and use ai tools to promote them on social media, medium/quora/Reddit et al, seo whatever!. Use ai sales landers and site builders, even Google sites. There are so many ways to push them out there to see what sticks. Make a small microsite and eventually get Adsense and affiliate links, you've then got an income-producing asset. If they start to rank then keep em for your pension. Or sell em for a premium, the days of the large marketplace brokers with crappy landers is finished. We should moved on to new ways of doing things with our domains. That's just my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth!! GLA :xf.smile:

•••
I looked through your names.

Lots of them shouldn't be priced above $1.5k-3k range for the reasonable shot at 1% STR, yet, $3688 seems to be a minimum price for the most.

If you priced them, e.g., at 2500$ and sold 4-5 in a year, you'd make around $8k-10k post commission, minus $5k renewals, $3-5k net. Or, at $2000 you'd probably sell 5-6 and still net $3k to 5k.

But at $3688 to 20k+ for this names, you'd be lucky to make 1 sale in a year, so you'll probably end it in red, save for 5% chance of getting really lucky.

•••
expect sales to get worst. as economy worsens. if u have decent sellable names then I suggest u throw big bait prices and wait for one life changing sale in say high 5fig or even 6fig...vs underselling names ... however u need to know your stuff and understand if your names have such potential.... else u will be waiting forever and getting homeless renewing names while no profits... so I suggest u seriously evaluate your folio for such potential of say 1 higher sale per year... better work hard to get 1 5fig sale per year than 10 3fig sales per year... but.... all in all...anyone who think domaining is immune to global problems is clearly mental.

Last edited:
•••
Edit: Note, I'm not worried as there are always fluctuations, but you know, it's not a good feeling to have 3 months in red.
You are definitely in the vast majority. This recession could teach us to be super selective when we register / acquire / renew names. Assets over liabilities.

•••
I think they put their appraisal value only if it's higher than our asking price, otherwise it would not make sense.

Last edited:
•••
I had no sales since November (4K sale).
I have 350 names and intend to drop 50 in the next months. I also receive 30-50 bucks PPC monthly.
I have received an increased 750 buck second offer for a 4K domain on Afternic that I have rejected, but lowered the price by 1000 bucks and switched to Dan nameservers and offered a lease plan. I think having mid xxxx sales is essential during this recession.
I also had 3 stalled leads on Afternic.
That's all. Things are slow, but I don't have any renewals till mid July.

Last edited:
•••
As I read in their blog / article,

use NS 3/4 for high value domains - May be for above $1000 or $2000
use NS 5/6 for low value domains - Better all those below $1000

You can that and wait for few months to see if there is any difference.
Anyone have a link to this blog or article? I'd like to see what GoDaddy/Afternic says about when they think it's best to use ns5/6 vs ns3/4.

•••
•••
Does anyone know how many brokers work at the Afternic lead center?

I'm only asking because I sent a couple of brokers a message the other day and no one has responded so I'm assuming there aren't many brokers working there and they are just very busy.

•••
Does anyone know how many brokers work at the Afternic lead center?

I'm only asking because I sent a couple of brokers a message the other day and no one has responded so I'm assuming there aren't many brokers working there and they are just very busy.
I think in the weekend there is only a small number to take care of things. But they can do that on Monday of course.

•••
•••

( I'm currently using Afternic NS3/NS4 landers )

When the #1 sales producing network stops producing, it's time you start looking at the platform. I assure you, it has nothing to do with the economy or world events.

Is it a coincidence sales stopped the moment they "aligned" commissions and announced all sales occuring through their network, on domains parked outside their network, would be penalized a 25% commission? I don't believe so.

Nobody knows their portfolio better than the portfolio owner.

If you're parking with Afternic, you really should check the lead center for what appear to be auto-stall patterns.

The results may shock you.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/afternic-launches-the-lead-center-beta.1297414/

They talk about transparency, but the fact is, their transparency is minimal at best.

•••
If you're parking with Afternic, you really should check the lead center for what appear to be auto-stall patterns.
I was confused about this as well.

•••
When the #1 sales producing network stops producing, it's time you start looking at the platform. I assure you, it has nothing to do with the economy or world events.

Is it a coincidence sales stopped the moment they "aligned" commissions and announced all sales occuring through their network, on domains parked outside their network, would be penalized a 25% commission? I don't believe so.

Nobody knows their portfolio better than the portfolio owner.

The results may shock you.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/afternic-launches-the-lead-center-beta.1297414/

They talk about transparency, but the fact is, their transparency is minimal at best.
I think that with ns3 ns4 you have three things that cause a stalled or confused status.

1. If you have a domain that was once a business, or it is an exact match name for something, many people that show up will just fill out the form, they don't read, they don't think, they just fill the form out.

2. Bots. If those landers had real bot protection, you will have a lot less entries on these forms.

3. Price shock but the buyer doesn't tell you. Ns3/4 has no price or even price range. I am not saying this should change, however, some people think that they could buy shoes .com for 500 bucks using a 6 year payment plan.

HD has great landers. It educate buyers, gives a price, shows testimonials, it really is a great lander. I do see some HD domains with only a contact form, I guess for names they didn't price yet or they prefer talking to the buyer.

•••
This is a good way to go. Create revenue generating websites.

Before you dive in make sure you understand it is hard. You need to spend a lot of time developing an audience and getting traffic.

Only choose markets and verticals you have a professional and personal interest in.

I am in the same boat! I am convinced that the only way forward is to develop our domains into meaningful blogs/sites and use ai tools to promote them on social media, medium/quora/Reddit et al, seo whatever!. Use ai sales landers and site builders, even Google sites. There are so many ways to push them out there to see what sticks. Make a small microsite and eventually get Adsense and affiliate links, you've then got an income-producing asset. If they start to rank then keep em for your pension. Or sell em for a premium, the days of the large marketplace brokers with crappy landers is finished. We should moved on to new ways of doing things with our domains. That's just my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth!! GLA :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back