Domain Empire

News.com: Is Your domain safe from deletion? Article

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
New article labelled "Is Your Domain Safe From Deletion?" featured on News.com home page today.

As a result of the SecLists.org controversy with Godaddy.com recently, News.com has issued a new story where they questioned 10 domain registrars about their policy for suspending/deleting domain names of their customers.

A very interesting article:
http://news.com.com/Survey+Are+doma...iendly/2100-1025_3-6155614.html?tag=nefd.lede

I just called Moniker, my preferred registrar, and spoke with Monte Cahn (their CEO) to get my questions answered about their policies about deleting domains, and he satisfied my concerns. I feel good now, and will sleep better at night, now that I know that Moniker won't delete my domains if they receive a complaint for my normal, legal use of my domains.

I also informed him of this article on News.com so he could further reply to his customers if he wanted to about this important issue.

Is your registrar CEO/President easy to reach when you have concerns such as those raised in this, and the previous, News.com articles?

Also, it was interesting to see the guy who got yanked by GoDaddy.com has a new site telling about his ordeal with his domain on GoDaddy up on a site called: http://www.nodaddy.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, from nodaddy.com it seems that author supports pirate bay. What a nut.

•••
•••
woeger said:
I feel good now, and will sleep better at night, now that I know that Moniker won't delete my domains if they receive a complaint for my normal, legal use of my domains.
i simply sleep better at night knowing im not publishing other people's passwords without their permission ;)

•••
This whole thing (the broad issue raised) is not about the passwords, but rather about domain registrars and how they respond to various types of complaints affecting domains owned by people. Do you really want your registrar to take down your domain or even delete it because someone filed a frivilous complaint? That is the issue, not some passwords archived on a site who archives mailing lists. The one case that started this discussion is about that site with passwords archived on it, but the issue is much broader, and effects everyone with domain ownership.

•••
no i wouldnt want my registrar to do that. do registrar decisions affect domain owners? yes. but i have yet to see a major registrar take domains down because of "frivolous complaints"...

until then, it seems that the discussion is only fueled by people who are doing questionable things with their domain names, or those who have already been busted for it.

•••
woeger said:
New article labelled "Is Your Domain Safe From Deletion?" featured on News.com home page today.

As a result of the SecLists.org controversy with Godaddy.com recently, News.com has issued a new story where they questioned 10 domain registrars about their policy for suspending/deleting domain names of their customers.

http://news.com.com/Survey+Are+doma...iendly/2100-1025_3-6155614.html?tag=nefd.lede

I just called Moniker, my preferred registrar, and spoke with Monte Cahn (their CEO) to get my questions answered about their policies about deleting domains, and he satisfied my concerns. I feel good now, and will sleep better at night, now that I know that Moniker won't delete my domains if they receive a complaint for my normal, legal use of my domains.

I also informed him of this article on News.com so he could further reply to his customers if he wanted to about this important issue.

Is your registrar CEO/President easy to reach when you have concerns such as those raised in this, and the previous, News.com articles?

Also, it was interesting to see the guy who got yanked by GoDaddy.com has a new site telling about his ordeal with his domain on GoDaddy up on a site called: http://www.nodaddy.com

Yes, same here. I immediately contacted my Moniker rep and was informed that even if there's an infringement, you need a court order before they take action.

•••
Asian said:
Yes, same here. I immediately contacted my Moniker rep and was informed that even if there's an infringement, you need a court order before they take action.

Exactly why I can't stand Godaddy. Not only will they pretend to be a legal body but they will also charge you a FEE for any legal paperwork they have to read. I think it's $30 minimal. Imagine that..I can send letters to Godaddy to complain about ANY domainer/domain by finding whois and Godaddy will start to charge you fees for this. It's amazing that ANYONE uses this company.

•••
woeger said:

Do you feel better Spamming Moniker ? Are you being paid by Moniker to keep this rant going ?

•••
What rant? I am expression my opinion about a news article on a topic that should be of interest to most domain owners -- domain ownership and how to pick a registrar that will stand up for your rights.

You must like Godaddy. Stay with them then. But I am free to choose a registrar who treats me better. [I am not paid by any registrar by the way].

Last edited:
•••
woeger said:
What rant? I am expression my opinion about a news article on a topic that should be of interest to most domain owners -- domain ownership and how to pick a registrar that will stand up for your rights.

You must like Godaddy. Stay with them then. But I am free to choose a registrar who treats me better. [I am not paid by any registrar by the way].

woeger you ALREADY have this topic going here : http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/286165-godaddy-takes-away-domain-use-owner.html

There was no purpose instarting the same topic again..other than to slam one registrar and promote another

to suggets you arent spamming Moniker is an insult on everyones intelligence

•••
This is a new news article that just came out today. I started this thread to inform about this new News.com article. Don't get upset with me, just get over whatever bug is getting your temperature elevated about this story. Don't take your anger out by attacking me - I didn't write the article - perhaps you are Bob Parsons and that is why you are so upset over these News.com stories? New article = justification for new thread. Get it?

Last edited:
•••
woeger said:
This is a new news article that just came out today. I started this thread to inform about this new News.com article. Don't get upset with me, just get over whatever bug is getting your temperature elevated about this story. Don't take you anger out by attacking me - I didn't write the article. New article = new thread. Get it?

NOTHING new about it at all..you already have the SAME topic going.. PLUS you're spamming Moniker.. You have been around long enough to know you're spamming

do you seriously believe that slamming godaddy and spamming moniker makes any difference at all ? Do you think know one see's what you are doing ?

•••
labrocca said:
Exactly why I can't stand Godaddy. Not only will they pretend to be a legal body but they will also charge you a FEE for any legal paperwork they have to read. I think it's $30 minimal. Imagine that..I can send letters to Godaddy to complain about ANY domainer/domain by finding whois and Godaddy will start to charge you fees for this. It's amazing that ANYONE uses this company.

Actually that same thing happened to me. Somebody compained to godaddy that my info is incorrect, ( the name of the street was misspeled) and they charged my $10 or $20 do not remember exactly, for the so called investigation.

•••
Start becoming aware and responsible, guys. Or you risk someone else doing
that for you, even if you don't like it.

Don't wait for that to happen.

•••
Bah!

Last edited:
•••
woeger said:
I started this thread to inform about this new News.com article.
in the future, feel free not to post a new thread for the same discussion "x" number of times, where "x" is the number of news articles you've found on the internet.

•••
We don't know if Woeger is being hired by Moniker and i personally don't see this thread as a spam but it would be wise to keep all inputs and infos in one thread.since both threads started by the same person i don't think the original poster will find it difficult to organise his posts.

V

•••
I am not connected with Moniker in any way (other than being a very satisfied customer). I saw this new article on News.com about the results of a survey they did of domain registrars, and as a follow-up article to the the original one, and worthy of a new thread --- that's all. No conspiracy theory advocates please. Just a thread about a topic I was interested in that relates to domain owners. Thanks!

•••
I'm beginning to think that a successful domainer needs a lawyer these days...and a good one :?

Last edited:
•••
shockie said:
until then, it seems that the discussion is only fueled by people who are doing questionable things with their domain names, or those who have already been busted for it.

Is this a joke ?
When people are troubled or express their anxiety for a situation they are fueled from malicious and dark motives ?

What about people they are sleeping like babies without understanding what's going on around them ?

woeger said:
This whole thing (the broad issue raised) is not about the passwords, but rather about domain registrars and how they respond to various types of complaints affecting domains owned by people. Do you really want your registrar to take down your domain or even delete it because someone filed a frivilous complaint? That is the issue, not some passwords archived on a site who archives mailing lists. The one case that started this discussion is about that site with passwords archived on it, but the issue is much broader, and effects everyone with domain ownership.

Exactly. Some people woeger simple can't digest it
The issue here is not about the specific domain or if there is in their TOS or not, the issue here is if it's right or not

I also don't see it as a spam for moniker
Moniker does not need one or two topics to make profit
You underestimate moniker if you think woeger is promoting it with this method
At the end if mods think anything is spam or have second thought can merge the topics and the issue is over

I'm sick and tired with the holly GoDaddy site. If someone says anything negative or express his opinion against GoDaddy is ready to be blindfolded and executed at dawn

I also don't understand why we "fight" for this issue anymore. We all want the domains to be secure and trouble free. No registrar or any other company can decide what is right and what is wrong. If there is something wrong with anything in this universe there are legal authorities to decide.

We are not old ladies to curse anything looks suspicious. We know what a domain is, we know how fragile is, let's protect it from any GoDaddy may appear now or in the future and not allow him to hurt people's opinion for domains as GoDaddy did with the recent incident

(again for those who are still troubled i'm not talking for the specific domain but for domain names in general and even if i admit i don't like GoDaddy, i will also be against any registrar using the same methods)

I agree with Dave Zan "Start becoming aware and responsible"

Last edited:
•••
Enom doesnt delete already expired domain names especially if it has traffic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back