IT.COM

domain New to this and think I'm being scammed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MykeeC81

Impact
Ok so someone claiming to be a broker sent me an email stating that they have a buyer for one of my domains, which I hadn't listed. I have never listed a domain actually. Anyway he said he had a buyer for my domain afterhoursvs.com and wanted to know if I was interested in selling. Its a domain that I dont use, so I thought I might want to and I asked how much is he wanting to buy it for? And this is why I am skeptical...he said that if I got some certificate from a place that does valuations and it read that its over $1000.00 he would buy my domain for $15,000.00. This is a scam right? I shouldn't waste my time going to and paying to have it appraised right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SCAM
its all about buying the appraisal.... there is no buyer for your domain

Last edited:
•••
•••
It's a traditional domain SCAM, new domainers often fall for this. @MykeeC81
It's actually the appraisal websites sending these scam emails that want to rob you off your money. Still get tens of emails like these every week. Better stay away from this scam.

•••
Ok so someone claiming to be a broker sent me an email stating that they have a buyer for one of my domains, which I hadn't listed. I have never listed a domain actually. Anyway he said he had a buyer for my domain afterhoursvs.com and wanted to know if I was interested in selling. Its a domain that I dont use, so I thought I might want to and I asked how much is he wanting to buy it for? And this is why I am skeptical...he said that if I got some certificate from a place that does valuations and it read that its over $1000.00 he would buy my domain for $15,000.00. This is a scam right? I shouldn't waste my time going to and paying to have it appraised right?
Email him back..stating that you are presently short of funds and you will pay him the appraisal cost (plus 10%) once the domain is sold....

SERIOUSLY
DONT respond to these types of emails cause you might be put on a list

•••
Good think you didn't get caught up in the moment like many people do...

Good one you for heading over to here and doing your homework :)

•••
•••
post their name and email address

•••
Email him back..stating that you are presently short of funds and you will pay him the appraisal cost (plus 10%) once the domain is sold....

SERIOUSLY
DONT respond to these types of emails cause you might be put on a list

Haha i tried this one to troll them. The sad scammer never replied ofcourse

•••
It's the appraisal SCAM! :punch:

Welcome to namepros!:xf.smile:

•••
Since the whole scam part is already covered above.

WELCOME TO NAMEPROS!

•••
I was almost netted way back when starting this.

What made be do some 'homework' was the figure put on my domain - mind boggling

•••
I was contacted with the same scam. The figure of $13,000 was mentioned if I got the appraisal from 1 of 3 "reputable" appraisal sites. I saw through the con. I offered to sell him the domain for $50. Funnily enough, he didnt respond.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back