NameSilo

advice New TLDs vs .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Berserker

Restricted (Proxy Risk)
Impact
Hi,

For a business or any website really, if both xxxxxx.yyyyy and xxxxxxyyyyy.com are available (xxxxxx being the project name and yyyyy the "new TLD" extension), which one to choose? Or you "need" to register and maintain both?

Examples:
example.news & examplenews.com
example.monster & examplemonster.com
name.pro & namepro.com (if "pros" hadn't a "s")
etc.

What would be best if you would like to avoid paying 2 extensions every year for each project falling in this situation? (and you would probably need to redirect one to the other to centralize everything on one for the search engines and SEO).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com is critical only for high traffic projects...

•••
@DOMAIN ILLUMINATI I don't think he meant this kind of security. I understood he meant a "safe choice" (you can't go wrong if you choose the .com over anything else).
Thanks for letting us know how you understood it.
The reason why I understood it the other way around is because I was not assuming (and would never assume) that one "can't go wrong by choosing the .com over anything else".
My domaining - project (virtual fight against the illuminati with a certain, non - .com - domain name as a global, symbolical weapon (due its status)), for example, wouldn't make sense with .com at all - more, it wouldn't even be possible.

Last edited:
•••
For example: MillionaireMaker.center or MillionaireMakerCenter.com? O_o:xf.laugh: They're both available (the .com just expired). Someone can grab them if they want. I'm not interested.

Thanks for everyone's input.

•••
I would have been all over NTLD's years ago - If only it wasn't so difficult to spot that tiny little dot somewhere in the middle. At least with the TLD's its become intuitive. People seem to forget it took a long time for the general public to accept typing two words without a space. I think we at least another 10 to 15 years away from having to contemplate a website name split by a dot being as equally intuitive and that maybe never.

Stick with your .com and contemplate your word/dot/word when your site is an income generator. And why your at it check -out the .net .org and cclds, Your concern list could be longer than you think if you start off down that road

Last edited:
•••
Simple question
Which one ranks better in google ?
For ecample:

FirstBoutique.com
Or
First.Boutique ?

Let's suppose that no one of them have backlinks

Maybe the .com will rank higher coz it's aged ?

Last edited:
•••
This is what I was talking about. See the highlighted renewal cost.
That's approx. $1250 (USD).

godaddy.jpg

•••
Bro.. why are you climbing a mountain that is too high for you now?.. you just started, one letter is too expansive. try with one words and two words that work perfectly with the extension. they are cheaper than one letter
Absolutely.
I just thought of giving it a shot and placed a backorder at SnapNames. Cancelled the backorder as soon as I noticed renewal cost.
Lesson learnt.
You are absolutely correct.l

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back