IT.COM

information New Site Makes Money on NamePros Domain Listings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should NamePros Allow Domain Listings To Be Scraped And Sold For A Fee?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.1%
  • No

votes
    60.2%
  • Maybe

votes
    9.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Read this article today. What do you think? Charging for aggregating the NamePros domains for sale?

NameThreads.com Offers New Service That Helps Investors Zero in on Domain Bargains at NamePros

Domain forums have long been popular hunting grounds for investors looking to bag attractive names at bargain prices. However, there are so many domains for sale at the massive NamePros.com forum it can be hard to find the diamonds you are looking for in what seems to be an endless "mine".

Read the full story here:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2017/dailyposts/20170216.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I posted this thread mainly because I know that NamePros has community rules for using the site that they try to enforce. It struck me odd that it would be okay to do what @mkellerman did.

I appreciate the thread because it has shed light on the extent to which NP will freely allow use of the data within it's community.

The message I'm getting is that using the information in the forum in another site created with different functionality is okay. Even using a similar name is not an infraction.

I will probably create something like this and make it free to users with other monetization methods. Of course, let's see how this ultimately plays out. I am not convinced that the story is finished.

Actually I thought about it very carefully. I doubt namepros will ever create such type of search feature as they are simply a forum. Namepros will benefit more because it will only result to more people submitting names to namepros, and whatever happens namepros wins.

However, the aggregator faces the challenge in terms of cost etc and competing with other aggregator who will make the service free and better. So basically competing to send traffic to namepros. And any naive aggregator who over speeds will get slapped on the face either by cloudflare or by namepros server.

A question to think about: how many people actively use namepros to buy names versus godaddy, dropped list, expiredomains.net etc ? :)

Last edited:
•••
Business accounts turned into $9.95 monthly subscriptions (mind set of: $10 a month is my NP cost limit) is the easiest way to pinpoint an actual loss.

But to me I look at the extremes.

People at the bottom would rather have an extra $120 a year for domain buying and search NP themselves.

People higher up perhaps not looking on NP for domains.

Enough people in the middle?

Everyone wants a monthly fee for something now days.

•••
Simply not worth $10 a month IMO, should you make some money ?

Agree, would you believe it, the cost is actually $29.95 per month!! for what @mkellerman suggested as a point of reference.
Another example: If you want to find all Chinese premium LLNN.com domains for sale on namepros, for instance, you can do this with one search using my site. It would take a lot of effort to do this without namethreads. You can also do a search for all CVCVC.com domains or CVVCV.com domains, for example. This could be useful to anyone who buys and sells brandable domains.

TBH you have to wait till you have traction before you start charging. imo or give a month free access etc.

Cheers.

•••
A 7 day free trial of a new platform just won't entice me to try it. If they had a been around for a while, and the consensus from the majority was a good one, then I would probably give it a go.

As I have said before, how hard would it be to at least give people an option? Offer a free account with limitations, with the option to upgrade? There are other ways to cover the minimal costs rather than charging $10 for every user that signs up!

I won't be signing up....

Last edited:
•••
I'd take a subscription after they have added GoDaddy, Afternic, Sedo, SnapNames, Namejet, et al. But just for NamePros... Nope.

•••
Read this article today. What do you think? Charging for aggregating the NamePros domains for sale?

In relation to the service itself what I feel is

PRO
  • As a BUYER - I like fact that I can see all listings and all domains on NP. And keep record of who has what names, for later offers.
  • As a SELLER - I like fact that more buyers come to my listings
CON
  • As a SELLER - I don't like fact it makes End Users able to easily scour NP site and find names at reseller prices. This will diminish the end users market who are willing to pay $xxxx prices, which we all ultimately aim for, as they then can fill their business name needs for $xx. Which may happen if word of mouth occurs about this tool, in end user circles.
So my feelings on this are mixed.

Last edited:
•••
In relation to the service itself what I feel is

PRO
  • As a BUYER - I like fact that I can see all listings and all domains on NP. And keep record of who has what names, for later offers.
  • As a SELLER - I like fact that more buyers come to my listings
CON
  • As a SELLER - I don't like fact it makes End Users able to easily scour NP site and find names at reseller prices. This will diminish the end users market who are willing to pay $xxxx prices, which we all ultimately aim for, as they then can fill their business name needs for $xx. Which may happen if word of mouth occurs about this tool, in end user circles.
^^^ This! Couldn't have put it better myself.

•••
^^^ This! Couldn't have put it better myself.
Yes, it's brings up an interesting question. Is there any real exclusivity to the domain name "reseller" market? Should there be a "private reseller/business member" section on NP in addition to the existing public sales sections?

•••
I don't think you have to worry about end-users using @mkellerman's product.

•••
CON

No end user in his right mind will ever subscribe to such service just to keep an eye on NP. If an end user needs a name there are specialized marketplaces and brokerage services. End users usually need a name NOW for whatever project, they won't subscribe to a list and check it out day after day, month after month hoping the right domain comes along in a NP auction.

If an end user types whatever domain in Google then the NP auction post comes up by itself and this forum is much, much easier to be found than whatever site built to provide a list or a service.

This service has been launched as a tool from domainers to domainers, have no fear end users won't flock to NP via this site to steal the "precious" domains at reseller prices.

•••
Yes, it's brings up an interesting question. Is there any real exclusivity to the domain name "reseller" market? Should there be a "private reseller/business member" section on NP in addition to the existing public sales sections?

But then you have two diametrically opposed forces at work.

As a SELLER in private reseller market - you still want highest prices for your domains, and restricting the number of bidders with a members only wall restricts that. So you wouldn't as a seller want to sell in private reseller market. So less Sellers would contribute or join this market. This would be 'AGAINST' the private reseller market.

As a BUYER in private reseller market - you want to buy the domains cheap for profit to be left for resell. So this would be 'FOR' the private reseller market.

Right now in the NP market this status of being a reseller mainly market is achieved with end users seemingly less aware of NP than Sedo and Godaddy. Probably due to Sedo and Godaddy doing marketing with large budgets and NP not doing this. (But I have noticed many NP threads in top Goggle results when doing domain checks so Google rates NP high and end users will see this in their results too and come here on these clicks)

I suppose NP admin could make a members only market with entry only available to members with 20 plus trades. This would be kind of cool actually. It would encourage sales transactions to go up with new members. And inside the private market, as added attraction, all members would have sense of security that all transactions would be honored quickly. If not, NP admin could have rule that transaction not honored would lead to losing private reseller market membership.

OK, @Silentptnr its a good idea, I have talked myself into it. Members only reller market - with entry based on 20 good NP trades i.e. merit gets membership. (hmmn.. means I would not be able to be a member yet :xf.frown: )

Last edited:
•••
I guess in a way most sellers here on NP are looking to sell domains quickly and don't care who buys it here at reseller prices. They use other methods to sell domains they consider more valuable. Some just want to unload domains they don't want anymore or just want to flip for a very small profit. Others might list domains more for exposure to end users.

If it was easy to do, I would like a private area in addition to the public sections. I could use both effectively.

•••
No end user in his right mind will ever subscribe to such service just to keep an eye on NP. If an end user needs a name there are specialized marketplaces and brokerage services. End users usually need a name NOW for whatever project, they won't subscribe to a list and check it out day after day, month after month hoping the right domain comes along in a NP auction.

I get your point. But there is a process to getting to the final choice name for a new business or startup. For businesses or startups with large budgets these processeses involve using advertising agencies, naming consultants etc.

These agencies do this for client after client. Month after month. Like any business they need to watch costs. If aquiring the .com domain name is one of their major flexible costs and in a market where most .coms are taken, how many do you think would add this tool to their process to minimize that cost.

If they hear of it, with ongoing naming for new businesses or new products as their business model, most would.

Last edited:
•••
One idea for the NameThread site would be to show limited search results for free. Like NameBio, maybe show 10-20 search results to non subscribers. Otherwise full functionality. Just an idea.

•••
I suppose NP admin could make a members only market with entry only available to members with 20 plus trades. This would be kind of cool actually. It would encourage sales transactions to go up with new members.

Here's an added positive for all NPers

With NP members due to hit 1M (have we hit that yet?) if there was a strong attraction for members, in NP to get into a members only private reseller NP market section (like Warrior Forum successfully had for years) and the only way for entry was to have 20 trades; then think what many thousands of members all wanting to hit that 20 trades, suddenly going active on sales, to gain entry, would mean for NP. It would mean a really significant boost to sales and sales rates at NP. By a few X multiples.

That would benefit us all.

•••
Here's an added positive for all NPers

With NP members due to hit 1M (have we hit that yet?) if there was a strong attraction for members, in NP to get into a members only private reseller NP market section (like Warrior Forum successfully had for years) and the only way for entry was to have 20 trades; then think what many thousands of members all wanting to hit that 20 trades, suddenly going active on sales, to gain entry, would mean for NP. It would mean a really significant boost to sales and sales rates at NP. By a few X multiples.

That would benefit us all.
Question is how many sellers would opt to limit their sales offers to the select 20+ group only, as opposed to the general, much bigger potential buyer base.

Last edited:
•••
Question is how many sellers would opt to limit their sales offers to the select 20+ group only, as opposed to the general, much bigger potential buyer base.
I envision the private area being the auction area. The public area being the fixed price and make offer area.

•••
Yes, @Domains - Wanted good point, that is the force to work against.

I think you can make this attractive to all players with forethought. Attractive to SELLERS - as all trades almost guaranteed to be completed smooth and incident free, as with 20+ trades and not wanting to lose your membership makes for a more secure market. This is also attractive to BUYERS.

Yes but that point is still a glitch. Still thinking on this. Meantime, any other heads got answer to this?

•••
I posted this thread mainly because I know that NamePros has community rules for using the site that they try to enforce. It struck me odd that it would be okay to do what @mkellerman did.

I appreciate the thread because it has shed light on the extent to which NP will freely allow use of the data within it's community.

The message I'm getting is that using the information in the forum in another site created with different functionality is okay. Even using a similar name is not an infraction.

I will probably create something like this and make it free to users with other monetization methods. Of course, let's see how this ultimately plays out. I am not convinced that the story is finished.

Speaking personally--not as a representative of NamePros--the monetization and somewhat similar name make me a little uneasy. I also don't want to risk conveying the message that it's okay to use our content however you please. However, I'm a proponent of the idea that if a tool doesn't fit your needs, you should adapt it. I've been involved with open source software for years, and NamePros contributes to much of the software that it utilizes. Legalities and business issues aside, I feel this approach fosters an innovative community and allows us to grow as an industry. I would like to think NamePros shares a similar view. Granted, as a business, we have rights and intellectual property that we need to protect, but I believe it's possible for a company like NamePros to find a healthy balance that doesn't hinder the creativity of its community.

•••
Speaking personally--not as a representative of NamePros--the monetization and somewhat similar name make me a little uneasy. I also don't want to risk conveying the message that it's okay to use our content however you please. However, I'm a proponent of the idea that if a tool doesn't fit your needs, you should adapt it. I've been involved with open source software for years, and NamePros contributes to much of the software that it utilizes. Legalities and business issues aside, I feel this approach fosters an innovative community and allows us to grow as an industry. I would like to think NamePros shares a similar view. Granted, as a business, we have rights and intellectual property that we need to protect, but I believe it's possible for a company like NamePros to find a healthy balance that doesn't hinder the creativity of its community.
That being said, maybe my new free project is a little hasty...
name-prowl-logo.png

NameProwl.com :)

No site up...just regged it today for my project.

Last edited:
•••
That being said, maybe my new free project is a little hasty...
Show attachment 50233
NameProwl.com :)

Generally, if you find yourself making a post like that, then yes, it's probably a bad idea. Sounds like you already possess the common sense necessary to make an appropriate decision.

•••
Generally, if you find yourself making a post like that, then yes, it's probably a bad idea. Sounds like you already possess the common sense necessary to make an appropriate decision.
I suppose your speaking personally.

•••
I wasn't looking for advice, but understand how you could interpret my comment as a question.

•••

Very reassuring to know that such a attitude is held by Tech Admin at NP. I understand that it is your personal view and not NamePros. Yet bodes well. That an attitude of fostering the creativity of its community, and being open to innovation as points taken into balance while considering issues of data use, is prevalent here, is reassuring to me.

•••
What I find interesting and is being reported is the fact that almost 70% of voters in the poll thinks it shouldn't be allowed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back