IT.COM

information New Site Makes Money on NamePros Domain Listings

NameSilo
Watch

Should NamePros Allow Domain Listings To Be Scraped And Sold For A Fee?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.1%
  • No

votes
    60.2%
  • Maybe

votes
    9.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Read this article today. What do you think? Charging for aggregating the NamePros domains for sale?

NameThreads.com Offers New Service That Helps Investors Zero in on Domain Bargains at NamePros

Domain forums have long been popular hunting grounds for investors looking to bag attractive names at bargain prices. However, there are so many domains for sale at the massive NamePros.com forum it can be hard to find the diamonds you are looking for in what seems to be an endless "mine".

Read the full story here:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2017/dailyposts/20170216.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Double? You're an optimist! All jobs that robots can be programmed to do - which is to say, the majority of blue collar jobs - will be gone within 5 years, 10 years at the outside!

I don't think you know the number that I am referencing to. It could be -1,0,1,2,3,..jobs. I didn't mention the number so why pinning me to the wall?

•••
I don't think you know the number that I am referencing to. It could be -1,0,1,2,3,..jobs. I didn't mention the number so why pinning me to the wall?
Sorry, no offense. Not pinning anyone anywhere :bag:

We're at the very start of the curve, so double anything to date in the years to come, seems like an understatement, is all (IMO).

•••
I think its no secret, and can only really help - > if you have somthing for sale and this site is advertising it for you then... win win right? but i think the negative side might be with namepros staff being upset with this unless they own =) we will see.

•••
It's hard to say if people will pay for it. Thing is, if NP would better organize how posts are tagged and maybe use a form to set up sales, it would be great all around. The auctions would be uniform, etc.

The question of the post is with respect to using the NP data to create a pay site. That's what I think it is the question. If enough people paid for that site, NP might even decide to charge more. That would not be good.

•••
The argument seems to fall flat on the very first sentence.

However, there are so many domains for sale at the massive NamePros.com forum it can be hard to find the diamonds you are looking for in what seems to be an endless "mine"

Over the past few years, NamePros has become more and more organized, making it much easier to locate the domain you want. If you know what you're looking for, you can easily go to the right section, use a tag, or use the search function. There's no need for a data farm.

•••
The argument seems to fall flat on the very first sentence.

Over the past few years, NamePros has become more and more organized, making it much easier to locate the domain you want. If you know what you're looking for, you can easily go to the right section, use a tag, or use the search function. There's no need for a data farm.
I agree. I haven't had any trouble in finding specific kinds of domains.

•••
No one should be making money off my domains for sale but me. I really won't be listing names here at all if someone else is charging people to have my name added to there database that they charge a fee for.

I really don't like the ideas someone's benefiting off my funds and flips. Get off you a $$ and get your own database and portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
I really won't be listing names here at all if someone else is charging people to have my name added to there database that they charge a fee for.

By not listing your name on NamePros, you're actually helping those who want to make money off of domain listings. Google and Facebook sell your personal information all the time. But not many people complain about it.

If you want to make a difference, you can do that by showing support for the NamePros community. When one of your clients tell you that they found you through a paid listing, let them know that your domains are listed for free on NamePros, and that NamePros is actually quite simple to navigate contrary to what this site says.

You could also manipulate the domain name listing to hide from the crawlers that these sites use to gather data. For example, instead of writing domain.com, you could write domain, .com TLD. I'm not sure if that works, but I'm sure something will work.

•••
I'm not listing things for sale on Google or Facebook. Looks like a half crap way of brokering where buyer covers all fees and he pockets the cash without even hunting the clients down.

Last edited:
•••
Well surely if it's ony open to 'Special Members' people not so special like myself should head to namethreads?

•••

Last edited:
•••
I don't think there is a choice, if you are a public forum then your information is just that.... public.
I think namePros should turn a blind eye for a while, let the site develop and perfect the system and then namePros should swoop in with their own similar service and charge a small fee for the service.

•••
I think namePros should turn a blind eye for a while, let the site develop and perfect the system and then namePros should swoop in with their own similar service and charge a small fee for the service.

In other words, let them do the leg work and see if its a successful business model. Easy for namePros to take over if it shows as a profitable service.

NamePros already has a listing service for all the domains. That's in the domain marketplace. There are also tons of links all over the frontpage these days.

Suggesting that a service should be copied is not illegal in itself, but it's certainly a shady suggestion.

In any case, you can't treat it as public information. NamePros does have the right to restrict data mining and can restrict robots from crawling its forums. And I think that's the route NP will take if the issue requires it (my guess).

•••
Suggesting that a service should be copied is not illegal in itself, but it's certainly a shady suggestion.

HeHe, of course you are right about that but does not stop the big boys from doing it. Everyone is copying everyone nowadays. I was merely stating that np has the master key to all that information and they can put anyone mining the data out of business in a millisecond by offering a similar direct service.

I think it might be to early to say this other site does not have a viable idea, np seems to have it all for experienced users but anyone coming to the forum the first few times is overwhelmed with information, rules, regulations etc.

So I don't thing the idea is without merit.... I did not say it was necessarily right but it does have merit.

•••
PS. that is coming from a new np user who is still figuring out how to navigate the massive amounts of information contained here.

•••
NamePros does have the right to restrict data mining and can restrict robots from crawling its forums.

I agree...it is clear that many NP uses do not want their domain names crawled and indexed by search engines...just note the spaces and characters and 'king' alterations when some are making a post about a certain domain that is being shared/questioned.

At the same time, it may be advantageous to us all if NP has an area that domain investors can put their name with a limited sales pitch...logo, organic traffic, possible uses, etc. If a name sale happens through that listing, it is not unreasonable for there to be as SMALL fee for the seller.

Now that the issue has been churning in my head as I type, I think the best idea is for them to start a 'sister' site separate from this discussion forum so its (the forum) purpose and intent doesn't get changed/damaged.

The only reason I began visiting this site years ago was to be able to communicate, learn and share with/from others that have decided to take this path to make a little money...it would be a shame to see the site turn into one of those 'broker sites' and lose its initial purpose.

•••
I personally object to my sales being scraped by anyone for any website other than NP. 100% of the domains I sell here are at a loss, because I want to give other domainers the possibility of owning a decent or half-decent domain at an affordable cost. I don't do this so that some other website can come along scrape the content, and sell the information at a profit. It goes further than just that 1 sale, if they are maintaining a database of what I've bought, sold, and were selling in the past. They could possibly start pestering you in the future about other potential domains, either similar to domains, I've bought, sold, or even selling in the past. I think I've just persuaded myself not to post any more sales, at least, on NP. I don't think that will change, unless or until, NP takes some action against this website.

•••
I personally object to my sales being scraped by anyone for any website other than NP. 100% of the domains I sell here are at a loss, because I want to give other domainers the possibility of owning a decent or half-decent domain at an affordable cost. I don't do this so that some other website can come along scrape the content, and sell the information at a profit. It goes further than just that 1 sale, if they are maintaining a database of what I've bought, sold, and were selling in the past. They could possibly start pestering you in the future about other potential domains, either similar to domains, I've bought, sold, or even selling in the past. I think I've just persuaded myself not to post any more sales, at least, on NP. I don't think that will change, unless or until, NP takes some action against this website.
Hi Stub,

I'm sorry to hear you don't like my site. Of course Namepro's content is already scraped by many sites including Google. I don't intend to pester anyone about domains they have had in the past. I think my site is bringing extra buyers to Namepros and that is good for domain sellers.

If you do not want your domains to be shown in namethreads.com, you can obfusciate them in your listing (for example write example*com instead of example.com). Then your domains are not added to the database. Equally if you do want your domains to be listed in namethreads, make sure you list each domain clearly in your sales post.

We are adding extra features to the site and will be announcing them soon.

•••
I signed up and the search feature doesn't work. Not just doesn't work - doesn't work at all. Emailed Martin Kellerman and still no reply after more than 24 hours. Don't waste your time. Site is useless. If he spent as much time on functionality as he did on security - it might actually be something usable. I've cancelled my subscription.

•••
I signed up and the search feature doesn't work. Not just doesn't work - doesn't work at all. Emailed Martin Kellerman and still no reply after more than 24 hours. Don't waste your time. Site is useless. If he spent as much time on functionality as he did on security - it might actually be something usable. I've cancelled my subscription.
Hi Jeff,

Are you the guy who wrote this email to me?

Search does not work
[com] returns .com, .in, club
1800F returns almost entire database
I did not notice the first email you sent to me as the subject was "Re: [NameThreads.com] Your username and password info" and I receive emails with that subject that are automatically generated by the site every time someone signs up. Sorry about that.

I investigated this and it seems that a new feature that I added to the site to filter out invalid domains was not working correctly and was affecting domain searches. Thanks for pointing this out.

This issue is now fixed. See screenshots below:

upload_2017-3-25_16-0-28.png

-- there are no domains containing the string "1800F"

upload_2017-3-25_16-3-28.png

-- now only .com domains are listed.

Sorry for the inconvenience--if you want to try signing up again, I'll give you a discount--please contact me.

Summary of latest improvements:
-- Over 195000 domains now in our database
-- including over 100000 .com domains
-- Domain filter filters out invalid domains

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-25_16-1-20.png
    upload_2017-3-25_16-1-20.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
•••
•••
The votes are trending No.

My interest is really to know the position of NP.. Is it okay or is it a problem to take all the offered domains from NP and repackage them and sell membership to access them through another site as a service?
Is this what SEDO and Afternic have done with GoDaddy? Atleast selling domains on the GD platform as well?

•••
Is this what SEDO and Afternic have done with GoDaddy? Atleast selling domains on the GD platform as well?
No. NameThreads searches and filters sales listings on NamePros and then links to the listings on
NamePros. The offers, bidding, and everything else still takes place on NamePros. but NameThreads makes it easier to find listings that you're interested in buying (And makes it easier for buyers to find your sales listings).

Hope that helps,

•••
No. NameThreads searches and filters sales listings on NamePros and then links to the listings on
NamePros. The offers, bidding, and everything else still takes place on NamePros. but NameThreads makes it easier to find listings that you're interested in buying (And makes it easier for buyers to find your sales listings).

Hope that helps,

Simple! :xf.grin:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back