IT.COM

information New Site Makes Money on NamePros Domain Listings

NameSilo
Watch

Should NamePros Allow Domain Listings To Be Scraped And Sold For A Fee?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.1%
  • No

votes
    60.2%
  • Maybe

votes
    9.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Read this article today. What do you think? Charging for aggregating the NamePros domains for sale?

NameThreads.com Offers New Service That Helps Investors Zero in on Domain Bargains at NamePros

Domain forums have long been popular hunting grounds for investors looking to bag attractive names at bargain prices. However, there are so many domains for sale at the massive NamePros.com forum it can be hard to find the diamonds you are looking for in what seems to be an endless "mine".

Read the full story here:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2017/dailyposts/20170216.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Media Branding - I see what you're trying to say, however these are two different things. Content can be copyrighted, but we're talking about domain listings here.

It's like this site for example that aggregates all of Craigslist and provides a search feature. The difference is, it's free.

To clarify, I voted "no" in the poll, simply because I want control over my sales listings. I'm sure this project raises a few questions about terms and conditions of use regarding NamePros memberships. While I consider it innovative, it's up to NamePros to decide if it violates any of its rules.

If this new site is simply a "tool" for more robust search, that could be cool. Its just the charging sort of changes it. What is fueling the site is not an aggregate of all domains up for sale everywhere. Its only np. Going to be interesting to see what does or doesnt happen.

•••
The "damn thing" they offer is better usability. A search feature that expands on that provided by the site itself. Let's not forget: Google does the same thing. Or you'd be navigating via an index, as in the Yahoo days :)

In a nutshell: Just because NameThreads seeks to monetize its service, doesn't make them bad. They need, however, the permission of NamePros, as far as I know.

•••
I do respect what you are saying @Acroplex.
It still feels to me like they are stealing any potential money that should be NP's.
I might be wrong but I don't think so. lol
In case anyone cares, I will not be using this service.
Good Night.

Last edited:
•••
No, we're not affiliated with it.  We think it's great that people are finding better, more creative ways to utilize NamePros, although we don't officially endorse any specific projects right now.  Of course, we're continuing to develop the tools available on NamePros.com.

•••
I think the people doing that are wasting their time

•••
I just wish namePros itself would have better filters like being able to filter by extension, length, price, etc. Then there would be no need for an external software.

•••
I just wish namePros itself would have better filters like being able to filter by extension, length, price, etc. Then there would be no need for an external software.

Agree. Why should we have to pay an outside source to search for NP data? This should be available at no charge shouldn't it?? Count me out!

Last edited:
•••

In order for NP to be able to do that, sellers would have to input their listing data through some sort of standardized form.

•••
Imo at least 90% of the domains for sale on namepros are complete garbage, so if this can sort out the good stuff then I'm for it

•••
In order for NP to be able to do that, sellers would have to input their listing data through some sort of standardized form.
Yeah, not such a bad idea to upgrade the domain sales GUI anyway.

•••
Maybe NP should consider an auction post form similar to the regular post form. That way data can be stored and searched more effectively.

I think that new site is a creative idea but it should be free or monetized a different way.. Its not the first site to try to create revenue using np data.

•••
It's surprising that NP have had no involvement don't you think?

•••
It's surprising that NP have had no involvement don't you think?
That's what the tech staff member said. I think the NP staff takes a measured approach. We'll see how is plays out. I have seen things like this fizzle out. I have also seen things like this create a "piggyback" effect where new ideas are launched and grow using major platforms.

Many new businesses have been launched by piggybacking twitter and facebook.

•••
We'll see how is plays out. I have seen things like this fizzle out. I have also seen things like this create a "piggyback" effect where new ideas are launched and grow using major platforms.

Many new businesses have been launched by piggybacking twitter and facebook.

True. Granted you get 7 days free trial, but charging $10 per month is a bit of a cheek. It would have been better to offer this as a free service for basic usage, with options to upgrade (as with NP). Still not convinced - but I guess we will see.

•••
If NP allows auctions to be accessed at a public venue that does not require registration/membership/agreement to terms of service then the data is not protected and just about anything can be done with it.

So expect auctions to be a 'members only' part of the forum or the cloud flare settings get throttled down for auctions to prevent scraping... who knows lots of solutions here to a minor problem.

DNbolt likes to scrape... is this the same person launching this site?

I like to make things free. namethread face 2 major challenges:

1. What if namepros creates an inhouse search option?
2. What if I decide to release a free version?

Don't create something that a site can easily update in less than 5 days. Rather create something that a site is not willing to share with it's users :xf.wink:.

Last edited:
•••
I like to make things free. namethread face 2 major challenges:

1. What if namepros creates a inhouse search option?
2. What if I decide to release a free version?

Don't create something that a site can easily update in less than 5 days. Rather create something that a site is not willing to share with it's users :xf.wink:.

Can you build something like Namethreads for free DNBolt ?

•••
Can you build something like Namethreads for free DNBolt ?

Why not, that's like me going to the gym and picking up 1kg dumbbell.
But let's see how namethreads and namepros get's on. Would be very interesting..

Last edited:
•••
Hi all,

I just saw this thread--it is an interesting conversation. I am the guy running namethreads.com. Actually this site has been running a few months already. My tool is like google, but for domainers. It allows you to search for domains (currently only those on namepros.com) and then click on a link to go directly to the thread on Namepros where a domain is being sold. Namepros have been aware of the site for a while.

The way the site works is that you can search for domains listed on namepros using a variety of criteria to quickly find what you want. For example, I recently wanted to create a site about home improvement. I did searches for all domains on namepros beginning with "home" and also for "diy". I was quickly able to find the domains home-improvement.net and doityourself.co for sale on namepros and ended up buying doityourself.co for $29. I think this is a good use case for my tool. It can help you find a great domain exactly according to your specifications.

Another example: If you want to find all Chinese premium LLNN.com domains for sale on namepros, for instance, you can do this with one search using my site. It would take a lot of effort to do this without namethreads. You can also do a search for all CVCVC.com domains or CVVCV.com domains, for example. This could be useful to anyone who buys and sells brandable domains.

By getting such good visibility of what is available on namepros, including threads several months old that may have got buried pages below the latest posts, you can find domains other people might have missed. For sellers too, it will give more visibility to the domains you have for sale. So I think it is good for everyone. People still need to be members of namepros to actually carry out the transaction.

I hope people will try it out and tell me what they think.

•••
Hi all,

I just saw this thread--it is an interesting conversation. I am the guy running namethreads.com. Actually this site has been running a few months already. My tool is like google, but for domainers. It allows you to search for domains (currently only those on namepros.com) and then click on a link to go directly to the thread on Namepros where a domain is being sold. Namepros have been aware of the site for a while.

The way the site works is that you can search for domains listed on namepros using a variety of criteria to quickly find what you want. For example, I recently wanted to create a site about home improvement. I did searches for all domains on namepros beginning with "home" and also for "diy". I was quickly able to find the domains home-improvement.net and doityourself.co for sale on namepros and ended up buying doityourself.co for $29. I think this is a good use case for my tool. It can help you find a great domain exactly according to your specifications.

Another example: If you want to find all Chinese premium LLNN.com domains for sale on namepros, for instance, you can do this with one search using my site. It would take a lot of effort to do this without namethreads. You can also do a search for all CVCVC.com domains or CVVCV.com domains, for example. This could be useful to anyone who buys and sells brandable domains.

By getting such good visibility of what is available on namepros, including threads several months old that may have got buried pages below the latest posts, you can find domains other people might have missed. For sellers too, it will give more visibility to the domains you have for sale. So I think it is good for everyone. People still need to be members of namepros to actually carry out the transaction.

Thanks for your great explanations. Do you have any plans to make it free?

Last edited:
•••
Hi all,

Simply not worth $10 a month IMO, should you make some money ? IMO yes, but the price is too high, a business membership here is $10 a month. $25 a year sure, but $120 way too high in my opinion, especially when people like @Dnbolt or @Michael from Namebio could probably put together for free.

•••
Thanks for your great explanations. Do you have any plans to make it free?
I understand that people would like to have access to this for free. Obviously there are costs for me to run the site and that is why I set a fee--but you can try it out for free for 7 days and see if you find it useful. In the case of Google, obviously, their service is free, but they make massive advertising revenue. Can you think of other revenue streams I could use to finance the site if I made some functionality free?

•••
I voted NO. Of course. It is up to this forum owners how do they monetize their forum. No need to have intermediaries. For example, there is an escrow.com banner on each page of the forum, even though some other website might well decide to drop this particual advertiser. What a website or forum owner elects to do (or elects not to do) should always be respected...

Last edited:
•••
I understand that people would like to have access to this for free. Obviously there are costs for me to run the site and that is why I set a fee--but you can try it out for free for 7 days and see if you find it useful. In the case of Google, obviously, their service is free, but they make massive advertising revenue. Can you think of other revenue streams I could use to finance the site if I made some functionality free?

There are some strategies in place but this thread is not the right place to explain them all.
But one good advice is to NOT think about the profits first. But to think about the practicality first, then everything else follows without much hassle.

Could you easily bear the cost of running the site?

Last edited:
•••
It still feels to me like they are stealing any potential money that should be NP's.

I can't see how NP would lose money on something like this, if anything it's good business for them. If it makes it easier for people to find domains, that's more sales. Good for sellers and buyers getting the name they want. More sales could mean more people upgrading their account here, more money for Namepros. I really don't see a negative for Namepros. I can't see why anybody would be against more eyeballs on domains you're trying to sell.

NP could always get with somebody and offer a more robust domain search.

Last edited:
•••
I posted this thread mainly because I know that NamePros has community rules for using the site that they try to enforce. It struck me odd that it would be okay to do what @mkellerman did.

I appreciate the thread because it has shed light on the extent to which NP will freely allow use of the data within it's community.

The message I'm getting is that using the information in the forum in another site created with different functionality is okay. Even using a similar name is not an infraction.

I will probably create something like this and make it free to users with other monetization methods. Of course, let's see how this ultimately plays out. I am not convinced that the story is finished.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back