Dynadot

information New Site Makes Money on NamePros Domain Listings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should NamePros Allow Domain Listings To Be Scraped And Sold For A Fee?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    30.1%
  • No

votes
    60.2%
  • Maybe

votes
    9.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Read this article today. What do you think? Charging for aggregating the NamePros domains for sale?

NameThreads.com Offers New Service That Helps Investors Zero in on Domain Bargains at NamePros

Domain forums have long been popular hunting grounds for investors looking to bag attractive names at bargain prices. However, there are so many domains for sale at the massive NamePros.com forum it can be hard to find the diamonds you are looking for in what seems to be an endless "mine".

Read the full story here:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2017/dailyposts/20170216.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That being said, maybe my new free project is a little hasty...
67298_f6308df130b6df486330d964bd559aca.png

NameProwl.com :)

No site up...just regged it today for my project.

Dang, that's a Great Logo. And you just reg the name only today!! @Silentptnr you may have already mentioned this somewhere on NamePros cause I'm sure you must of been asked before. But how do you create your Logos so fast?

I've done my share of logos for companies. I use CorelDraw not Adobe. I really like this Prowl Logo and the Font choice - it all works. And I've seen other good quality ones you've done on your other names. So how do you do great quality logos so fast?

•••
Just my imagination..got lucky on the reg. :) I think the name is a pretty good hand reg considering how many names are taken.

•••
Yup, its a good one all right. But I have always liked how a Logo and Font can make the Brandname come alive with the emotion of the name. With this graphic and font you really nailed the emotion in this name.

I guess you have a large graphic bank. I use dafont.com a lot to find great new fonts. Tried it? Anyways, great logo mate!!

•••
That's where I got that font to make the logo...It's called masque. The font matched my clipart with the little tail on the "e" and the strong weight of the font. The italic gives the image motion. :)

•••
Agreed. And the w is a masterstroke. The missing height on it's front edge and the placement of the front paw of the panther towards that empty space creates a great dynamic. I really like that aspect.

•••
Thanks...you know how we do it. :)

•••
Okay, I'll stop talking bout your logo. Don't want to hijack your own thread on a different topic. :)

•••
Yeah, my point was that I really appreciate the value of what NP provides basically for free. This topic is good food for thought. It will be interesting to see if the new premium tool will be successful and if NP implements some measure to protect or perhaps even license it's content. I would see nothing wrong with NP monetizing use of its original content posted freely by it's users. Not to mention the increased exposure as others have mentioned.

If no action is taken at all, I could see this as a precedent that could motivate others to innovate. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing as the tech said previously.

•••
I just added ".com" to the end of all my names I have for sale in various threads. I had been just writing at the top "These are all .com" and then only putting the left-of-the-dot part, but I think in order for @mkellerman to pick up on the fact that it's a domain name, you probably need to write out the full domain with TLD.

•••
It is a valuable service and both we and NP can benefit from it, but I'm not sure if the prices are right. Should be lower, don't you think ?

@Dnbolt if you're really thinking of creating an alternative service, you don't have to make it free, but allow a free plan limited at 5 queries per day per IP or something like that, I think many of us would sign up for that.

•••
Instead of scraping the data why not just create a simple domain sales submission site? Or NP could make a search sales feature that works, that sellers can opt into.

•••
One idea for the NameThread site would be to show limited search results for free. Like NameBio, maybe show 10-20 search results to non subscribers. Otherwise full functionality. Just an idea.
This is a good idea. I might do that. It would help people play with the tool and get a feel for what it can do.

•••
I just added ".com" to the end of all my names I have for sale in various threads. I had been just writing at the top "These are all .com" and then only putting the left-of-the-dot part, but I think in order for @mkellerman to pick up on the fact that it's a domain name, you probably need to write out the full domain with TLD.
This is a good idea. Yes--your domains would not be found by the tool if the tld were missing.
Another thing that confuses my tool is when people post comparable prices from namebio in their threads. The tool picks up these domains too. It might be good if people replaced the dot in these domain names with a star or something to avoid this.

•••
This is a good idea. I might do that. It would help people play with the tool and get a feel for what it can do.
Yes, it would work well I think.

•••
What do people think of the idea of me publishing the results of sample searches in a namethreads.com blog? Any ideas for that?

•••
What do people think of the idea of me publishing the results of sample searches in a namethreads.com blog? Any ideas for that?
You could certainly do that. Maybe popular searches or results of certain categories i.e. LLLL. You could do alot of things. You could actually track BIN sales too. It would be interesting data.

•••
You could certainly do that. Maybe popular searches or results of certain categories i.e. LLLL. You could do alot of things. You could actually track BIN sales too. It would be interesting data.
What are searches people would be interested in?

•••
LLL.com
LLLL.com
NNN.com
NNNN.com
Dictionary Words in com
5L Brandables maybe

You could do a poll to ask the community. As you gain traction, you will probably see the trends internally.

•••
I suppose NP admin could make a members only market with entry only available to members with 20 plus trades. This would be kind of cool actually... And inside the private market, as added attraction, all members would have sense of security that all transactions would be honored quickly.
If it was easy to do, I would like a private area in addition to the public sections. I could use both effectively.
We have an Exclusive Domains for Sale area that only Business Accounts and VIP members can access. Search engines and other members can't access those listings. ;)

However, it's not as popular as our public marketplace listings because most sellers want as much exposure as possible:
Question is how many sellers would opt to limit their sales offers to the select 20+ group only, as opposed to the general, much bigger potential buyer base.

Hope that helps,

•••
We have an Exclusive Domains for Sale area that only Business Accounts and VIP members can access. Search engines and other members can't access those listings. ;)

However, it's not as popular as our public marketplace listings because most sellers want as much exposure as possible:

Hope that helps,
You guys are so awesome to provide mostly everything free. It's the best. I think I got a little defensive prematurely because I imagine so much work to keep the community great and then be vulnerable to others using the information you offer freely and monetize it....just struck me as not really cool.

I'm still processing the question...Should NP allow this sort of thing. I do know it exists all over the web.

•••
it would bring more prestige and credentials to namepros sells.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I can see a site like NameThreads being a HUGE issue for those who post their current BrandBucket, Brandroot or Namerific listings for sale (usually at around $35 to $50 per name). I figure those 3 businesses would go ape at the thought of end users (or their more domain savvy brokers) potentially being able to easily search for, and buy for pennies, rather than the $xxxx shown on BB, BR or NR.

•••
I can see a site like NameThreads being a HUGE issue for those who post their current BrandBucket, Brandroot or Namerific listings for sale (usually at around $35 to $50 per name). I figure those 3 businesses would go ape at the thought of end users (or their more domain savvy brokers) potentially being able to easily search for, and buy for pennies, rather than the $xxxx shown on BB, BR or NR.

That's the beauty of innovation in this world. Currently lots of jobs has been lost to robots/software and the figure will double in the coming years.

•••
That's the beauty of innovation in this world. Currently lots of jobs has been lost to robots/software and the figure will double in the coming years.
Double? You're an optimist! All jobs that robots can be programmed to do - which is to say, the majority of blue collar jobs - will be gone within 5 years, 10 years at the outside!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back