Domain Empire

news New inter-registrar transfer policy for domain names by ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone heard much about this? Apparently we will now have to get confirmation from previous owners (or yourself) when changing names, email address, organization and the domain will be locked for 60 days. Much like godaddy does now but i am not sure how this will work with godaddy expired auctions or drop catchers. Not to mention its a huge pain in the ass for those who do a lot of purchases. Goes into effect December 1st.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think we have to ask several of the top-members to participate in this thread, and ask them to protest at ICANN or write on their blogs.
https://www.namepros.com/members/
A PM with the link to this thread should be sent to all the persons below. (Rick Schwartz, .clubrepresentatives, staff members, bloggers etc.... etc..) askingthem to put on their blog thjis as a discussion point to ICANN with the emails of where can be protested at ICANN about that.
WHO WANTS TO DO THAT ? but it may not be interepreted as spam => First the Staff members should be warned about doing this.
If you want to make an impact in ICANN policy you should join the working groups when they develop the policy. You can have your say there. It is open to the public in almost all cases. You can solicit other members as you see fit. That is where the "rules" are made and you can be a part of it.

You can also join the ICA as they typically defend the rights of domain investors and that is worth supporting. http://www.internetcommerce.org

I am a part of both because I think it is important to be proactive in the things that will impact your business.

•••
If you want to make an impact in ICANN policy you should join the working groups when they develop the policy. You can have your say there. It is open to the public in almost all cases. You can solicit other members as you see fit. That is where the "rules" are made and you can be a part of it.

You can also join the ICA as they typically defend the rights of domain investors and that is worth supporting. http://www.internetcommerce.org
I am a part of both because I think it is important to be proactive in the things that will impact your business.
Do you really think that if I do this right now, i can still convince ICANN to change the inteded account to accountchange with 2 emails and with 60 d. lock (in case of free PSUH / FREE MOVE)?

•••
Do you really think that if I do this right now, i can still convince ICANN to change the inteded account to accountchange with 2 emails and with 60 d. lock (in case of free PSUH / FREE MOVE)?
It would be highly improbable. I am saying if ICANN policy concerns you, your best bet is to be a part of helping shape it which is open to anyone. These work groups that handle new policy typically meet for years before policy is rolled out. By the time they are ready to roll it out they have already considered many points of view for multiple years and public comment in most cases. They don't typically decide to roll out a policy change quickly, nor would they therefore easily be perusaded to change it quickly. I do not believe having some bloggers write about it would make much of a difference, but who knows and you are certainly able to try whatever you think is valuable for you. I am suggesting you look into other options for the future that have a proven track record of successfully shaping ICANN policy.

•••
That is complete BS Joe.

They NEVER take into consideration public comment and DO NOT take outside points of view.

That's why many, including myself, opposed the transfer of US government oversight.

By the time they are ready to roll it out they have already considered many points of view for multiple years and public comment in most cases.

•••
i don't know why private data is visible in the who is etc

all that is needed is a record of the domain name and creation / expiration dates or even a red for expired and green for active etc and a make offer box should a person want tks make an offer to purchase the domain etc and

the who's etc should be kept within icann and not made public so that icann change the domain name owners details when a sale is made etc

there is no need for a domain name owners details to be accessible outside icann

icann could quite easily handle all domain name sales internally

•••
It would be highly improbable. I am saying if ICANN policy concerns you, your best bet is to be a part of helping shape it which is open to anyone. These work groups that handle new policy typically meet for years before policy is rolled out. By the time they are ready to roll it out they have already considered many points of view for multiple years and public comment in most cases. They don't typically decide to roll out a policy change quickly, nor would they therefore easily be perusaded to change it quickly. I do not believe having some bloggers write about it would make much of a difference, but who knows and you are certainly able to try whatever you think is valuable for you. I am suggesting you look into other options for the future that have a proven track record of successfully shaping ICANN policy.

all domains should be transferred free of charge to any registrar just add 20% to the price of all domains initial purchase price but it would make all domain transfers instant and effortless and less tedius

no 60 lock required

all domain names should have compulsory insurance to cover udrp etc or loss of domain etc

Which are extremely basic levels of standard practice in everyday transactions

•••

Can the ICA be considered as some kind of lobby organization for domainers? Is it the only one?

I found that there might be interesting mailing-lists (choose a working group) here: https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/GAC+Working+Groups

Also the ICANN working groups seem interesting: https://whois.icann.org/en/get-involved#field-section-2

I read this before somewhere, but your post reminded me of it. Thanks.

Anyway, for me merely joining an ICANN working group might make sense - if at all. Too much other work (not domain related) and volunteer stuff to do, but this is definitely something to keep in mind.

•••
@Joe Styler

Will this new policy have an impact on selling newly registered (a few days old) domains on GoDaddy auctions? My buyers usually hit buy now button, and then domain is automatically transferred to their account.

Thanks.

•••
Can someone please post the cliffs on how this will effect buying daily drops or hand registered on godaddy and trying to sell them within 60 days to transfer to another godaddy account?

•••
still cannot understand... whats the new part? that i could not transfer domains to another person? how about inner transfers? i push the domain to another account and the buyer will change the registrant's data after that....

•••
Time to make sure all my records are updated.

•••
The new rules will not impact your ability to sell domains at GoDaddy or Afternic. There will be some small changes in the terms of service to allow for this but rest assured the change has not caught us off guard and you will be able to sell domains after this happens.

•••
The new rules will not impact your ability to sell domains at GoDaddy or Afternic. There will be some small changes in the terms of service to allow for this but rest assured the change has not caught us off guard and you will be able to sell domains after this happens.

This is what I do: hand register name at GoDaddy, list it on Buy now, when find buyer, they hit buy now and domain is automatically transferred to them. Hopefully there won't be any change to this process.

•••
The 60-day lock also seems like a decent idea at first glance. But we also know from our experience in helping tens of thousands of registrants transfer domains in and out of Hover over the years that a lot of registrants update one or more of those contacts just prior to starting a transfer of their domain from one registrar to another.

https://www.hover.com/blog/2016-icann-irtp-policy-update/

•••
Finally, the Cliff Notes

https://wiki.hexonet.net/wiki/IRTP

ICANN New Transfer Policy at a Glance:

Changes and modifications to registrant data must be confirmed and validated
Registrant first name
Registrant last name
Registrant email address
Administrative contact email (if there is no registrant email)
Confirmations must be obtained by the OLD registrant and NEW registrant
Registrants may choose to have Designated Agents confirm on their behalf
Both OLD and NEW registrant are notified when changes are complete
Registrar transfer lock enabled, unless opted-out at submission by OLD Registrant

. . .

What if I am both the old and the new registrant?
Both the old and new registrant must confirm, therefore, the one registrant can confirm for both. This will bypass the confirmation email process and automatically complete the change of registrant. Opting-out of the post sixty (60) day transfer lock at submission is recommended for this scenario, which will trigger an email to the old registrant email.

•••
hmmm.

what happens if I change email addresses because I don't have access to the old email?

•••
So in the case of buying a daily drop or hand registar, there is no old registrant for confirmation because it now belongs to the registrar like godaddy, right?

•••
hmmm.what happens if I change email addresses because I don't have access to the old email?

What happens if the old registrant does not have access to their email address?
If the old registrant's email is not working, then the old registrant or a designated agent of the old registrant needs to change the old email address first. As both the old and new registrant (or DA), please confirm for both and most importantly, DO NOT opt-out of the sixty (60) day transfer lock (conversely opting-out would trigger a transfer opt-out email to the old non-working email that can't be confirmed). Again, please note that after this change of registrant to a working email address, the domain name will be locked for sixty (60) days before it can be transferred to a new registrar.
https://wiki.hexonet.net/wiki/IRTP

•••
US and CO included - Cannot find source online, just got email from rrpproxy
Dear Customer,
Today, Neustar, the registry of .us and .co, announced a policy change which forces us to handle .us and .co like generic TLDs as of now.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and will keep you updated.
Your Editorial Team

•••
practically, what does that mean? icann rules? no restrictions (open to anyone)?

Last edited:
•••
So in the case of buying a daily drop or hand registar, there is no old registrant for confirmation because it now belongs to the registrar like godaddy, right?

New registrations already had a 60 day lock, so no change.

practically, what does that mean? icann rules? no restrictions (open to anyone)?

No, I interpreted it as Neustar just decided to implement the 60 day lock on US and CO even though they are ccTLDs not gTLDs. The original ICANN lock was only about gTLDs

CO is and always was no restrictions, US no change http://www.neustar.us/the-ustld-nexus-requirements/

•••
•••
I transferred a name to a buyer at Godaddy, the contacts didn't automatically change..which is annoying. I had to contact the buyer's IT people to put their info. Then I got an email from Godaddy which I had to agree so they can change the info. The link in the Godaddy email glitched the first 3-4 times , then worked finally. I checked the whois, the registrant is changed, but not the admin. So I had to contact back the buyer's IT people, they called Godaddy, and I was sent new links (at this point because I have nothing to do but count the oxygen molecules in the air) , guess what.. the links didn't work. It gives an error message when you click on it. I deleted cookies, used firefox instead of chrome to test.. and still doesn't work.. now it's still not resolved and all this waste of time for new ridiculous hurdles set up by ICANN...

Also I had called ICANN and left a message regarding a situation which needed to be flagged, NEVER got a call back ... so, NO they don't give a damn about people in the domain community... wasn't it one of their top people who indirectly but clearly insulted domainers recently on top of it?

I agree fully with @platey, all the public needs to know is registration / expiry info and have a contact form or email to communicate with the owner if need be. Why should anyone have your physical address for? It's an invasion of privacy. What if someone lives in a small apartment or house because he/she doesn't have much money.... it affects the legitimacy of their business if the potential buyers does a streetview search of their address. Plus when you put private registration, the made up email often times makes people think it's not a real email...

If after all these years, these basic things haven't even been done which are purely logical and instinctive, how can we trust an organization that makes decisions without analyzing the real-world realities...

Some of the major registrars or industry leaders should be on a board of "consultation" of some kind who can provide the pros and cons of certain policies BEFORE they are implemented.

Last edited:
•••
I'm still trying to figure out what was the problem 'they' were trying to solve... justify their existence perhaps ?

•••
the whole domain name scenario will eventually be solved by Google

they themselves buy domain names and buy gtlds etc they must be facing similar problems etc to what must be such a simple solution

and the way i think Google will solve domain name problems?

easy

they will simply make buying domain names and selling domain names the simple easy effortless instant process it should be and will make the whole process enjoyable not tedius

so much so that people will only want to buy domain names from Google

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back