IT.COM

news New inter-registrar transfer policy for domain names by ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone heard much about this? Apparently we will now have to get confirmation from previous owners (or yourself) when changing names, email address, organization and the domain will be locked for 60 days. Much like godaddy does now but i am not sure how this will work with godaddy expired auctions or drop catchers. Not to mention its a huge pain in the ass for those who do a lot of purchases. Goes into effect December 1st.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agree. After December 1st NPs will be flooded with questions on ownership transfers.

The policy does NOT apply to ccTLDs, only gTLDs.

This seems like a policy that has been designed by someone who has not considered the process of domain transfers and registrant changes in the context of the domain industry, but solely with a focus on certain aims (accurate whois, prevention of domain name hijacking), and without fully considering how it will work with and negatively complicate currently established processes.

•••
Agree. After December 1st NPs will be flooded with questions on ownership transfers.

The policy does NOT apply to ccTLDs, only gTLDs.
Have they give any reason why this won't apply to ccTLDs? Suppose accurate WHOIS, prevention of domain name hijacking, standardization of change of registrant, etc. is equally important across at TLDs.

•••
From Sibername's article.

https://www.sibername.com/blog/icann-domain-name-transfer-policy-change/

Q: Who does this new policy apply to?

A: The policy is applied when any registrant transfers gTLD domains names to an ICANN-accredited registrar, or from one ICANN-accredited registrar to another. It applies to all domains except ccTLDs (like .CA domains).

(If you register only .ca domain names then you don’t need to read further, or be concerned about these international changes.)

ccTLDs are managed by the ccTLD registry. gTLDs have different rules, confuses people. @Kate is the expert. :)

This will kill new gTLDs and lots of other small sales. Perhaps there will be an influx of ccTLD investors?

https://www.namepros.com/forums/cctld-discussion.143/

Have they give any reason why this won't apply to ccTLDs? Suppose accurate WHOIS, prevention of domain name hijacking, standardization of change of registrant, etc. is equally important across at TLDs.

Last edited:
•••
Why do you think it would kill new gtlds in particular?

•••
Why do you think it would kill new gtlds in particular?

If an when this is implemented it will apply to all TLD's from what I read.

•••
•••
Except ccTLDs.

Didn't see that in the Op's post, where was it?

Might have missed it as the ICANN link got very boring..

•••
Didn't see that in the Op's post, where was it?

Might have missed it as the ICANN link got very boring..
ICANN does not accredit registrars or set registration/transfer policies for ccTLDs. So a transfer policy of ICANN has zero impact on ccTLDs.

•••
ICANN does not accredit registrars or set registration/transfer policies for ccTLDs. So a transfer policy of ICANN has zero impact on ccTLDs.

Oh OK, let's see what happens..

•••

Is it every one or just a few, serious question as I don't know?

There!are!many!organizations!that!offer! various!types!of!domain!registration! services.!ICANN!accredits!a!number!of! them!for!provision!of!domain!name! registration!services.!However,!ICANN! accredits!only!those!registrars!and! registries!who!contractually!commit!to! the!service!level!and!guarantees!that!are! your!right!as!an!Internet!user;!and!ICANN! has!no!role!in!accrediting!managers!of! country!code!domains!such!as!.cn,!.de,! .uk,!and!.jp.

•••
Is it every one or just a few, serious question as I don't know?
All of them. Each country has a designated country code manager (each country code manager can have its own registration/transfer policies).

Last edited:
•••
I believe all of them. Each country has a designated country code manager.

Thanks I could only find a few but maybe you're correct. I guess we will see how this transfer stuff pans out...

Last edited:
•••
I predict this is going to be one big nightmare if implemented as is. I hope ICANN will come to there senses. But there is only a 50/50 chance of that happening. Maybe less :(

•••
Yes @Bram C. is right. Read here.

https://www.sibername.com/blog/icann-domain-name-transfer-policy-change/

All of them. Each country has a designated country code manager (each country code manager can have its own registration/transfer policies).

Come to senses? Zero percent chance that will happen... ever.

I predict this is going to be one big nightmare if implemented as is. I hope ICANN will come to there senses. But there is only a 50/50 chance of that happening. Maybe less :(

•••
I was hoping this was a rumour...
Well then, my action plan, Dec 1.

1. Refuse to be the scapegoat. Newbies(like me would be the ones to be burned).
Leave gTLDs for a while till...
When or rather if ICANN gets their shit together and has plugged major plausible loopholes and complications this new policy will cause.
2. Celebrate christmas gtld-free.
3. Grab a popcorn 'cos drama is definitely gonna unfold for a while.
4.Wait for the shit storm to settle.
----ICANN: this was a bad idea.
----The world: Yeah it was.

Anyone else with me?

•••
It will not impact the Godaddy expired auctions from the buyer's perspective, meaning you will still be able to buy domains that expire as you do today. You will also still be able to sell on Afternic with no issue as part of fast transfer, there will be a slight update to the terms of service to allow for this.

•••
This policy is to stop peer-to-peer gTLD domain sales.

•••
It will not impact the Godaddy expired auctions from the buyer's perspective, meaning you will still be able to buy domains that expire as you do today. You will also still be able to sell on Afternic with no issue as part of fast transfer, there will be a slight update to the terms of service to allow for this.

can you tell me whether I Saw somewhere correctly, and these new rules will somehow enable (with some checkbox or otherwise) the new owner to bypass the 60 day lock that occurs after transfer/whois change? there was a mention somewhere of opting in/out of that. thanks.

•••
This would have helped Omar and aimex. Then Stivie wouldn't have gotten involved :)

•••
can you tell me whether I Saw somewhere correctly, and these new rules will somehow enable (with some checkbox or otherwise) the new owner to bypass the 60 day lock that occurs after transfer/whois change? there was a mention somewhere of opting in/out of that. thanks.
since godaddy already has this 60 day policy in place they won't let you opt-out. others might.

•••
since godaddy already has this 60 day policy in place they won't let you opt-out. others might.

that's all before the new rules we're talking about .. I was asking about what happens after they are implemented.

look forward to your reply @Joe Styler

•••
This is a very small consolation.

•••
I think we have to ask several of the top-members to participate in this thread, and ask them to protest at ICANN or write on their blogs.
https://www.namepros.com/members/
A PM with the link to this thread should be sent to all the persons below. (Rick Schwartz, .clubrepresentatives, staff members, bloggers etc.... etc..) askingthem to put on their blog thjis as a discussion point to ICANN with the emails of where can be protested at ICANN about that.
WHO WANTS TO DO THAT ? but it may not be interepreted as spam => First the Staff members should be warned about doing this.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry but I am unsure of that. I do know you will be able to sell on Afternic fast transfer after this takes effect.

•••
Sorry but I am unsure of that. I do know you will be able to sell on Afternic fast transfer after this takes effect.

good to know there exists that possibility. that'd sure be a nice one thing to come out of this otherwise complicating matters more for domainers new rule set.

if you ever find out this info in conclusive manner, do drop by to share. good day.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back