Dynadot

news New inter-registrar transfer policy for domain names by ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone heard much about this? Apparently we will now have to get confirmation from previous owners (or yourself) when changing names, email address, organization and the domain will be locked for 60 days. Much like godaddy does now but i am not sure how this will work with godaddy expired auctions or drop catchers. Not to mention its a huge pain in the ass for those who do a lot of purchases. Goes into effect December 1st.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless your email gets hacked, this might considerably reduce the amount of stolen domains.

•••
•••
How is the “get confirmation from previous owners” process going to work?

•••
2 factor login is a better solution.

If everyone knew what it was and used it without fail and every registrar on the planet had it then there would probably be 0 stolen domains.

•••
@Joe Styler, how is this going to work with GoDaddy expired auctions?

•••
Has anyone heard much about this? Apparently we will now have to get confirmation from previous owners (or yourself) when changing names, email address, organization and the domain will be locked for 60 days. Much like godaddy does now but i am not sure how this will work with godaddy expired auctions or drop catchers. Not to mention its a huge pain in the ass for those who do a lot of purchases. Goes into effect December 1st.
What is the source of this information, and could you give more specific information ?
AND Especially the 60 days lock is awful. We should protest against this to ICANN, or suggest an alternative as for instance 7 days instead of 60 days.

•••
Where does this info come from?

I have not heard of this before, I hope it's not something they are actually thinking of implementing....

•••
•••
ICANN-accredited registrar Tucows (Opensrs) published a good explanation with common questions - answers, aimed to be used by their resellers, but the page is open to everybody:

opensrs.com/new-transfer-policy-qa/

Quote (words of wisdom):

"At OpenSRS, we believe that the ICANN community who came up with this new policy did a disservice to registrants. The policy requirements do not add any positive element to the experience of managing a domain name, and there has been no consideration how this policy would align with the number of other ICANN mandated policies which are already in place. "

•••
ICANN is a BS organization now they will have no oversight.

https://opensrs.com/new-transfer-policy-qa/

ICANN-accredited registrar Tucows (Opensrs) published a good explanation with common questions - answers, aimed to be used by their resellers, but the page is open to everybody:

opensrs.com/new-transfer-policy-qa/

Quote (words of wisdom):

"At OpenSRS, we believe that the ICANN community who came up with this new policy did a disservice to registrants. The policy requirements do not add any positive element to the experience of managing a domain name, and there has been no consideration how this policy would align with the number of other ICANN mandated policies which are already in place. "

Info from Sibername

https://www.sibername.com/blog/icann-domain-name-transfer-policy-change/

•••
did I get it right.. will it be now possible under this policy to completely avoid 60 day locks after transfer/change of info? by simply opt in/out.

Last edited:
•••
what if you want to change the phone number of 1000 or more domains? i certainly hope you won't have to confirm each one by one!

•••
If you buy a domain name, and the seller doesn't approve your WHOIS change by email, then you won't be able to update your WHOIS to reflect your own information.

And how is this going to work when you buy an expired domain? Will the former owner, who let the name expire, have to approve the WHOIS change?

And it's going to make selling names through Afternic, Sedo, etc. more complex too. The name won't really have "sold" until WHOIS has been changed (but the way it works these days, lots of people buy domains, and don't update the WHOIS until months later - what if the seller has gone missing by then, and won't approve it?)

If you change your email for your whole portfolio, will you have to manually approve this change twice for every single domain?

This new rule is going to create a lot of complications.

•••
what if you want to change the phone number of 1000 or more domains? i certainly hope you won't have to confirm each one by one!

hmmm best as I see.. this does not apply to phones or even address.. possible?

What is considered a Change of Registrant in the context of this policy?
The Transfer Policy requires this process for any change to a registrant’s
  • firstname
  • lastname
  • organization name
  • email address

•••
If you buy a domain name, and the seller doesn't approve your WHOIS change by email, then you won't be able to update your WHOIS to reflect your own information.

And how is this going to work when you buy an expired domain? Will the former owner, who let the name expire, have to approve the WHOIS change?

And it's going to make selling names through Afternic, Sedo, etc. more complex too. The name won't really have "sold" until WHOIS has been changed (but the way it works these days, lots of people buy domains, and don't update the WHOIS until months later - what if the seller has gone missing by then, and won't approve it?)

If you change your email for your whole portfolio, will you have to manually approve this change twice for every single domain?

This new rule is going to create a lot of complications.
You bring up a good point. There are a number of domains i have sold over the years where the buyers still have not updated the contact info. I guess that means its up to me as of december if they want to change it..

•••
hmmm best as I see.. this does not apply to phones or even address.. possible?

What is considered a Change of Registrant in the context of this policy?
The Transfer Policy requires this process for any change to a registrant’s
  • firstname
  • lastname
  • organization name
  • email address
well email address then. the phone number was just an example.

•••
•••
Hopefully there will be good Black Friday transfer deals.

•••
his-idea.jpg

•••
AND WHAT WITH PRIVACY of the WHOIS => WILL THIS STILL BE POSSIBLE ??

Last edited:
•••
Hopefully there will be good Black Friday transfer deals.
LOL
(I guess "an unknown dark future" is coming, unless ICANN will be convinced to cancel this whole mumbo jumbo).

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, but I can't "edit" the previous post, because 30 minutes elapsed.
But I wanted to add that there's also the following to consider =>
Somewhere above I read that if somebody can't be reached by email "an SMS" will have to be sent to the phonenumber to get a/the new email or so.
But lots of times there isn't an "SMS" possible, because there's no mobile phone mentioned in the whois, but a FIX PHONE that mostly can't accept SMS-messages. (or such SMS-messages will a lot of times simply not arrive).

Last edited:
•••

I suspect the former owner will not be listed as the owner after it expires.

You bring up a good point. There are a number of domains i have sold over the years where the buyers still have not updated the contact info. I guess that means its up to me as of december if they want to change it..

I have one like that, with a late November expiration date.

•••
Some thoughts on this policy after reading more about it:

The policy was made because ICANN is concerned about registrant information accuracy, along with domain name hijacking. But how is making it harder to update your WHOIS information going to make WHOIS more accurate? It seems more likely to be a deterrent for domain owners, and prevent them from updating WHOIS, particularly if the WHOIS on file is invalid which makes it difficult to update it:

The policy will create a catch-22 after it goes into effect, because it operates based on the assumption that all WHOIS records will be accurate and valid at that time (which they will not). After Dec 1, if somebody discovers that their WHOIS email is invalid, and they want to update it to a valid one, they can’t, because a valid email (and the approval from the owner of this email) is needed to do so. But you can’t supply a valid email, because to supply a valid email requires email verification through a valid email address. It’s a catch-22 situation.

It also creates another complication in terms of ownership for domain buyers. When you buy a domain, you pay for it, and it is transferred/pushed to you, and that’s the end of the transaction. With many registrars, WHOIS information is not automatically updated when you receive a new name, so technically the name is not yet yours at the moment it arrives in your account (seller is still listed in WHOIS as the registrant). However, under the current system, WHOIS and new registrant can easily be updated and saved, either automatically by the registrar when you receive the domain, or manually by yourself as soon as you get the domain into your account. In the future, WHOIS change and verification by both former and new registrant probably needs to be implemented as a compulsory step of every domain transfer, because a transfer that practically gave you ownership before, will not automatically do so in the future, since compliance by the former registrant will not always be a given. This ICANN policy seems to assume that all former owners will readily approve any legitimate change to WHOIS later on, but that’s not always going to be the case.

Where this policy gets really strange, is when it comes to how it offers registrars to deal with scenarios where WHOIS is invalid. ICANN is going to let registrants to make changes by using an email or phone number NOT listed in the WHOIS (ICANN calls this “‘out of band’ authentication based on information that cannot be learned from within the registrar account or publicly available resources such as Whois”). This does not seem to be a required part of the policy, so I guess only some registrars will offer it. A registrar can use your phone number, which is not listed in WHOIS, and authorize a change by “calling or sending an SMS to the Registered Name Holder's telephone number providing a unique code that must be returned in a manner designated by the Registrar”. OpenSRS says that, if WHOIS email is invalid or you don’t have access to it, “your domain provider can explicitly send a link via SMS to the phone number that they have on file. This will allow you to approve the change of registrant request.” If it’s going to be that easy to bypass the procedures introduced by this policy, what’s the point of having such a cumbersome system implemented in the first place?

It seems that ICANN has not specified how to deal with disputes that arise from former registrants explicitly rejecting registrant changes. For example, I have sold a number of domains where my name and email is still listed in WHOIS. After December 1, if the new owners try to update WHOIS, and I reject this, will it be impossible for them to ever update WHOIS? Can I hold the names hostage forever after December 1? The problem here is not about invalid WHOIS email, because here the person listed in WHOIS explicitly rejects these updates (it would be a case where “Change of Registrant was not properly authorized by the Prior Registrant”). However, letting the new owner bypass this would, it seems, invalidate the whole system, but not letting such changes happen, would be a serious obstacle to rightful ownership change and correct WHOIS. ICANN seems to operate on the assumption that all former registrants will be compliant and accommodating to rightful WHOIS changes later on, but not all former registrants are going to behave in this way, and this policy does not outline how such disputes should be handled. What if the person listed in WHOIS is a disgruntled employee who was fired, and who refuses to approve the WHOIS update when the company tries to update WHOIS to list themselves as the owner?

Registrars who integrate the "Designated Agent" option into their transfer/push process will probably be able to implement this policy in a way that causes minimum inconvenience to users. But if both the former and new registrant can opt-into this permanently with a click, it seems like it could undermine the purpose of the policy.

Popular registrars like NameSilo, DynaDot, GD, NameCheap, NameBright, etc. are going to be able to implement this policy, but there are hundreds of tiny, obscure, outdated, and hardly functioning registrars, with virtually no support out there too (like some of the horrendous registrars you occasionally get when you buy domains through SnapNames). Just getting a name transferred away from these registrars under the current system can be incredibly difficult, and I don’t see how these registrars are going to be able to implement and enforce all these changes, and deal with invalid WHOIS info disputes and other issues that will accompany this policy.

This policy should not have an impact on expired domain marketplaces, because registrars can change WHOIS without the consent of the registrant, after “the domain name registration agreement has expired, and the Registered Name Holder no longer has the right to renew or transfer the domain name to another registrar”.

The policy uses quite ambiguous language at times, and the policy as outlined by ICANN, and how it is explained by OpenSRS contains several discrepancies. I have likely misunderstood certain parts of it (so please correct me if I draw any wrong conclusions above).

This seems like a policy that has been designed by someone who has not considered the process of domain transfers and registrant changes in the context of the domain industry, but solely with a focus on certain aims (accurate whois, prevention of domain name hijacking), and without fully considering how it will work with and negatively complicate currently established processes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back