IT.COM

new gtlds New gTLDs are DEAD!! Frank Schilling drops 230,000 new gTLD domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ksusha64

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah yeah. Another ngTLD bashing thread

I just had a look at your domains on fancy.domains

Some excellent names there. These are my favourites:

BET.CITY
CLASSIC.BIKE
CLUB.LAND
DATING.DIRECT
JUST.DOMAINS
JUST.POKER
LONDON.CLOTHING
TOP.POKER
CHESS.XYZ
AMERICAN.YOGA

All reasonably priced too.

•••
Mike Mann one of the biggest investors in domains, says new gtlds are complete crap and only idiots will invest in them.
Do distort the picture, why don't you? Why are you so sore, sales been bad lately?

•••
•••
I think we can have a survey on new gtlds and easily find out that 90% of domainers lost money.

You can also have a survey of .com and easily find out that more than 90% of domainers lost money.

•••
If you pay me enough I will also drop my new gTLDs and then you can make them registry reserved.

•••
here a visitor comment from the onlinedomain.com blog.

He registered his own domains for $0.25/domain per year because he wanted to try to resell them in the aftermarket at a premium. These didn’t sell, and by his actions he is saying that these domains are not worth $0.25/domain in order to attempt to resell them. So if Frank isn’t willing to pay $0.25/domain for these domains then only a fool would buy them now.

Has Frank ever dropped 100,000+ .com domains? I’d guess not, and those are $8/domain per year, but he sees value there in trying to resell them. His actions here speak to what he thinks the value of his gTLDS are.

•••
All the new extensions were great for a handful of domainers who actually registered the ones that made sense. And of that group. the smarter domainers resold those domains to other domainers for a really good ROI. The rest of the domainers not in that category either bought a few or lost a lot of money by going crazy and regging tons of new extensions. I personally only reg'd one, Ocean.Property. So I'm lucky I've only lost $40ish dollars so far. If I'm really lucky I can sell it to a fellow domainer for a couple hundred and call it a day. :)

•••
Did I step into a time machine or something?

•••
Guys just to make few things clear.
Mobi extension is success and making money but all domainers lost their shirt who bought this crap.
XYZ will be around for long time, but domainers will lose their shirt with it.
Just because some extension will be around it does not mean domainers did not lose with it.
When you use time machine remember to check your bank account if u buy this crap. I suggest buy dot com and u be a happy camper.

•••
Frank is actually releasing around 10 million gTLD domains in total.
Source: http://domainincite.com/20958-uniregistry-to-release-10-million-domains-on-october-4

But Schilling said a further 9.8 million names will also hit the market next month.

“We are unblocking and deleting 10 million domain names and making them available for registration through more than 200 registrars,” he said.

“Almost all will be standard reg [fee],” he said, when asked about pricing. Others will carry premium fees.

Last edited:
•••
I think he is just "rocking the boat" and trying to attract new investors and domainers. And it might work, i guess.

•••
Frank is actually releasing around 10 million gTLD domains in total.
Source: http://domainincite.com/20958-uniregistry-to-release-10-million-domains-on-october-4

crazy numbers! What is the total number of domains owned by speculators in .com?

10 million, 20 million?

One single registry releasing 10 million alone. Who is going to buy all these?

Basic economics would tell us that prices will decrease if we increase the supply. If we flood the market, we will destroy prices.

•••
Biggest winner: ICANN
Biggest loser: Domain investors.

•••
Frank Schilling's response:

lol .. Far from it. : ) The cream is rising and new names are selling.. Many, many of these new names get strong type-in traffic (comparable to or better than .com names!). We are trying to put more good inventory into the available pool because our math says we can create a greater recurring revenue stream and make all our other new GTLDs more popular by getting names out there and in-use than we can by holding them back and boutiquing them. We are releasing a combination of 10 million registered and reserved names this month Elliot. So now imagine you’re a foreigner. You don;t speak English. Now you can register these names at your home registrar in your home language. We couldn’t just release them this way when we launched because we didn’t have a working relationship with many retail registrars at that time. The process was still too new.. Today we’re in the distribution mix at 200 registrar brands, so now the time is better for making these names available.. If you own one of our names this is the best thing the registry could have done for its registrants. Within 2 years you will be seeing many more of our names in use as websites.

Much of this is timed to coincide with our launch as the exclusive registrar partner of thegrid.io Grid site owners will be able to secure a Uniregistry name for FREE with their site. This will be big news this week.

Uniregistry is today (without these extra names in the mix) making more than we did on traffic at the heyday.. New GTLD’s are growing, they’re profitable and all our strings are solid and will be alive on the web in 10 years. .. we see them selling on the secondary market.. And as I said already (but would be a fool not to repeat) many of our names get more traffic than many of my .com names!!

New names make money.. They get dropped by one weak set of hands and a stronger set rolls in to pick them up.

This is a relaunch of our strings with the best names available at low prices.

@Frank.Schilling

•••
New names make money.. They get dropped by one weak set of hands and a stronger set rolls in to pick them up.

if they make money why do they get dropped in the first place?

Many, many of these new names get strong type-in traffic (comparable to or better than .com names!).

mad bots maybe?

Last edited:
•••
Many, many of these new names get strong type-in traffic (comparable to or better than .com names!).

Yeah right !!!

So now imagine you’re a foreigner. You don;t speak English. Now you can register these names at your home registrar in your home language.

Although you don't know the meaning of the words ;)

*** Sorry Addison I'm quoting FS but that's how the quotes came off.

Last edited:
•••
Most profitable domaining strategies in the past 16 years.

2000-2007 selling traffic
2007-2014 selling domains
2014 and beyond: selling picks and shovels

the-entrepreneurial-mythology-and-how-we-built-a-multinational-group-without-it-3-638.jpg

Last edited:
•••

the-entrepreneurial-mythology-and-how-we-built-a-multinational-group-without-it-3-638.jpg

It's always been picks and shovels (like the site you're on now)!

•••

There's always specks of gold in the dirt. The difference is the mountains of topsoil.

•••
•••
How many new gtlds domains have been registered?

•••
•••
Worst year for the domain investor:
5L.com Chips
6N & 7N.com Chips
NNLL.com & LLNN.com Chips
4L.org Chips
And now the new gtlds
All gone with the wind.

Last edited:
•••
Worst year for the domain investor:

Don't really want to start another topic in this thread but I have felt this for some time. I think the usefulness of a domain name is lessened as most people today use mobiles for the internet and do not enter URLs in the address bar but simply search for the site name in the combined search box/address bar, like most browsers now, e.g. "namepros" instead of "namepros.com".

So if Name Pros was on .xyz, .co, .me or whatever it wouldn't make any difference.

Plus, I have noticed when people talk about sites and apps now, they don't mention the domain, they just mention the site name. I also hear this on radio ads here in the UK: "search for...", no mention of the domain.

You will never hear someone say "I bought it on amazon.com".

•••
Don't really want to start another topic in this thread but I have felt this for some time. I think the usefulness of a domain name is lessened as most people today use mobiles for the internet and do not enter URLs in the address bar but simply search for the site name in the combined search box/address bar, like most browsers now, e.g. "namepros" instead of "namepros.com".

So if Name Pros was on .xyz, .co, .me or whatever it wouldn't make any difference.

Plus, I have noticed when people talk about sites and apps now, they don't mention the domain, they just mention the site name. I also hear this on radio ads here in the UK: "search for...", no mention of the domain.

You will never hear someone say "I bought it on amazon.com".
I completely disagree and you prove my point very well. People say I bought it on Amazon applying on amazon.com not amazon.xyz. People say name of company like google, airbnb always assuming dot com. It leaves no place for any crap extensions for apps or big business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back