Dynadot

New gTLDs and corporate firewalls

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
My friend calls me and says he wants to reg a domain and which registrar should he use.

Given that he does not know much about domains, I gave him the easiest option: google domains, since he already has a gmail account.

He calls me back and says he gets error (see below), as domains.google.com forwards to google.domains

So I advised him a little trick: type in domains.google.com/registrar (in this case, no forwarding).

This just illustrates another problem with new gtlds. They often don't make it through corporate firewalls. Since I am not expert, I'd appreciate opinion why this happens and why companies of Google size cannot anticipate/resolve this and just lose business.

But to me, this is another reason I'd not recommend my client to go with non-traditional domains, unless it is something perfect like usa.news, food.shop etc. for reasonable price.

This site can’t be reached
google.domains’s server DNS address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back