IT.COM

discuss New gTLD Renewal Prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Frank Demitri

Established Member
Impact
I have been looking around new tld's and wanted to ask about there renewal pricing. They have different renewals anywhere from $5 to $50 or may be even more. What do you all think is the right renewal price. Is there a right answer to this or does it just depend the tld it self. Does it matter if the tld is a gtld or a cctld or anyother category that it will have a higher or lower tld.

I have been particularly looking into .top, .xyz, .online, .site, .win and .gdn and out of all .top is so far the cheapest in terms of renewal as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see all the input.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just wrote to Radix to complain about renewal prices and how they will affect domains being dropped if too high.

I think they should be comparable to .com in pricing. Anything higher just drives people, investors/end users back into .com

The premiums are way too high and people can still get a good .com for the price they are asking for some of the new gtlds.

Right now, anything over $15 and I have to think hard about renewing it unless I really like it.

•••
New gtlds are in competition with .com from the start as far as pricing is concerned. The good stuff is held back buy the registry and the prices are way to high for a new gtld. In many cases you can get a good .com from a reseller for the price the registry wants for a new gtld. They are asking $50,000 per year on some of their domains. If you want to build a site and have it up for 5yrs, that's $250,000 just for the domain name in an unproven extension that will bleed customers to the .com owner anyway.

That how they all earn money. But the trend is the renewals usually go down for new tlds as seen with .top, .xyz etc

They need to at least be somewhat reasonable with renewal prices. That is why renewals go down, plus low sales data to support people being able to afford to renew domains. I understand selling them cheap. It's to get people in the door, boost registration numbers, and hope that you can sucker them into renewing at higher fees.

Keeping prices reasonable will keep renewal numbers higher, keep people invested in the extension, and it will give the extension time to get sites developed. Without those things, the numbers will decline.

Other extensions are on the horizon too. This will not help renewal numbers. If I can reg a new extension for $1 or renew an old one for $20 that hasn't had any sales, nothing is getting developed on, has no end user support, I and most people will drop the high priced one and move on to the next big thing.

If you could renew one domain for $30 or reg. 30 new domains for $30, more then likely you will go for the 30 domains and drop the $30 single domain.

•••
A transfer is always cheaper than a renewal, and you can do it at any time in the year (black friday?) so I literally never pay any attention to renewal prices, I sort my gtld prices by cheapest transfer.
Can you post example where transferring between registrars is cheaper than renewal?
Sure, I could transfer my .tech from Godaddy ($70) to Uniregistry ($30) but then transferring away will mean higher cost (e.g. to Namesilo for $40)

The problem with many new extensions is that new registrations are often dirt cheap ($1-5) so domainers can hoard the best names. But renewals are too expensive so most names will drop... and get picked up by another domainer.
End users have a choice - pay someone for .com or pay someone else for .something. They might as well pick longer/different .com - at least they will not have any problems associated with completely unregulated nGTLD mess that we have right now (registries can do whatever they want, hike up renewal prices arbitrarily, even change the price of already registered name, not to mention some of the useless extensions could be gone in a few years etc.)

I think registries are too focused on (unimportant) registration count and not focused enough on adoption by end users.
I think registration price and renewals should be ~$25 - less hoarding in bulk by domain investors but still cheap enough for end users.

•••
Trying to cut out domainers is like shooting yourself in both feet and trying to run the 5km marathon. Registries will soon realise for any extensions to stand the test of time, you need to embrace the sales force, not force them out.

Once they're on the verge of bankruptcy they'll drop their prices, but it will be too late.

•••
I tried to transfer a new gTLD premium to another registrar which had a decent price but then got the answer that its a Premium name and "registrars or registry moving to other registrar is prohibited."

Has anyone come across that?

Do Premium domains have some extra limitations?

I have had no problems with transferring mine to Namesilo. Great prices as well.

•••
•••
I just wrote to Radix to complain about renewal prices and how they will affect domains being dropped if too high.

I think they should be comparable to .com in pricing. Anything higher just drives people, investors/end users back into .com

The premiums are way too high and people can still get a good .com for the price they are asking for some of the new gtlds.

Right now, anything over $15 and I have to think hard about renewing it unless I really like it.

Radix is horrible for insane renewals on .tech and other extensions, anytime I see one of their releases, I just avoid it, and you will just ending up registering subpar stuff, and filling their pockets by carrying their low quality inventory.

•••
A transfer is always cheaper than a renewal, and you can do it at any time in the year (black friday?) so I literally never pay any attention to renewal prices, I sort my gtld prices by cheapest transfer.
Good strategy BUT it's not a permanent solution. How long would you keep rotating your domains? It's a big hassle and would burn you out. I did in my early domain career and it's not worth it :)

Last edited:
•••
I have been looking around new tld's and wanted to ask about there renewal pricing. They have different renewals anywhere from $5 to $50 or may be even more. What do you all think is the right renewal price. Is there a right answer to this or does it just depend the tld it self. Does it matter if the tld is a gtld or a cctld or anyother category that it will have a higher or lower tld.

I have been particularly looking into .top, .xyz, .online, .site, .win and .gdn and out of all .top is so far the cheapest in terms of renewal as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see all the Input.

.top on top again.
Even high purchased .top PREMIUMS have normal (same like non PREMIUMs) renewal fees.
That's great domain politics in my eyes.

•••
What you are referring to is clearly a mistake if it is even true. Regardless it is completely anecdotal.
1-2 stories can be anecdotal - but you have thousands of people who were ripped off by 1and1 .

That includes 566 complaints with BBB in last 3 years:
http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-ea.../1-1-internet-inc-in-chesterbrook-pa-1040770/
http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-ea...c-in-chesterbrook-pa-1040770/Customer-Reviews

If you want to do business with crooks - good for you. I wouldn't transfer my names there even if they paid me.

•••
I am trying to pick up the good names with low renewals. Is it possible? Yes, if you spend 1-3 hours daily monitoring launches and drops (snapbacks).

•••

It will be interesting to see all the input.

I refuse any domain where the renewal price is over $30 a year at namecheap.

And it is annoying because the renewal price is in low contrast compared to the registration price. But I've been careful.

Personally I see cheap register but expensive renewal as a bait and switch tactic, trying to get the user locked in so they have to continue paying a high price or lose all their visitors.

To me that is deceitful and I won't use TLDs that do that. There are plenty that don't. Voting with my wallet.

•••
I just happened to look at a .properties domain yesterday. It was available, but the renewal was $249 at Godaddy.

I just put in a different domain .properties and it comes up as $39.99. With such a wide range of renewal fees it makes it hard to remember or figure out what your fees are going to be each year.
If you have more than 100 domains, this gets to be a problem. Especially when renewal prices keep changing. You never really know what you are going to be paying.

I used to only have only .com and I knew based on how many domains I owned, how much my renewals would be for the year for my portfolio. Now I have no idea what the renewal costs will be for my portfolio due to some of the gtlds in there. Things are getting too hectic for renewals of gtlds.

I like some of the gtlds alot, but they are not making it easy on us to renew and hold onto them for the long term. Renewal prices keep changing and we either have to move them around like we are shuffling cards or drop them. If dropped they can be reclassified into premium domains by the registry and sold for a higher amount. So you thinking you can drop a LLL that you picked up for $1 and then pick it back up for $1 isn't going to happen. All LLL will be reclassified as premium and you will be paying more for it.

$1 initial reg fees only encourage having to flip domains to avoid renewal fees. It also encourages drops. Good marketing, but very bad policy!

High registration numbers make people think that an extension is popular and in demand. Thus fueling the sales.

Having to flip a domain before renewal, puts too many domains back into the market, which lowers the price we can resell them for. Just like the real estate market, supply and demand makes or breaks the market.

If you could buy a house for $1000 but in one year you have to pay $1million for property taxes if you still own it, you will sell that same house for $1001 before you keep it and pay the $1million. Specially if that house is really only worth $75,000.

Same with domain names. If you can reg 1000 domain for $1 you are into the investment for $1000. When renewal comes around you could be looking at a $30,000 bill. You will drop or try to sell before then, even if it is just to get your money back and not make a profit.

So many domains that were bought for just $1 come back onto the aftermarket at $5 or less. That doesn't help us(the domainers). Domains get bought out by domainers and then never make it into the hands of end users because they see a domain as being taken. The domain might be for sale cheap somewhere, but the end user might not know where to find it. They just see it as taken/registered.

$1 sales only help registration numbers. Plus the good stuff is held back, so most of the$1 reg's are of lower quality.

•••
Recently I have observed registries are evaluating ngtlds renewal fees and maybe prices will come down to make them popular.

•••
Because there are so many competing alternative TLDs, premium renewals destroy value for investors. End users are only willing to pay so much for a domain with a particular keyword because they can choose between .Net, .Info, .Co, .and a hundred new TLDs. Portfolio turn for most investors is low single digits (1-2% in most cases) so if you are stuck paying $50/year for renewals you are much more likely to lose money.

•••
I tried to transfer a new gTLD premium to another registrar which had a decent price but then got the answer that its a Premium name and "registrars or registry moving to other registrar is prohibited."

Has anyone come across that?

Do Premium domains have some extra limitations?

•••

•••
I am slowly starting to see how the renewal fees play into a dot com only strategy. If I have 10 non dot coms with a $20 renewal each I think I might be ahead to buy one $200 dot com. Then do it again every year with the savings from renewal costs.

It would produce a higher quality portfolio, reduce management time, etc.

•••
I appreciate your concern but I wrote software to manage the bulk of it. Even so, 'burn out' is not an appropriate reason to overpay in my opinion. If you are selling the names regularly you rarely have to transfer them more than once and any manual work I have to do is done at the same time which I actually evaluate if I am trying to hold the name or not which is obviously necessary for a sound strategy.

I'm at several hundred but with my management software I see no problem scaling up to several thousand if I were so inclined (I don't think I'd want to attempt to hold that many names anyway but I digress)

I'm confused though mhdoc, you say this but didn't you just post above that you think a .com only strategy is the way to go because all your renewals will be $20 instead of $10? Which one is it? Does cash matter to you or is time the only factor? I don't see why you would specifically want to pay more at an auction but are unwilling to save yourself ~$19 or literally 95% a lot of the time by transferring.
I bet most of your domains are nGTLDs. I'm glad things are working out for you well.
My 99.5% of the domains are dotcom. Finally, I got a nice deal with godaddy for $8.29 per year renewal fee. All the best :)

•••
Yes, you are posting in a thread titled "New gTLD Renewal Prices" so i was referring to the nGTLDs. I would argue that .com is off topic for this thread.
So, you are kicking me out. That's not courteous... Please chill

•••
Lol, ladies and gentlemen Sarah Palin has entered the discussion... :xf.rolleyes:
Please stop being sarcastic!
We are here just for one reason to educate and communicate in a professional and amicable way :)
Here, no one is perfect and if you think that you are a Smart As*, then find another thread that would put up with your tantrum.
Peace! :)

•••
@MisterSoft.com just as you are allowed to go off topic and quote .com prices in a ngTLD thread (oh and not even .com prices but godaddy domain club prices that you failed to say cost $120/yr to qualify for) I am allowed to be sarcastic if I want. I never claimed to be perfect simply relevant to this discussion which neither you or @ZapNano have been.

As for the Sarah Palin comment, I thought it was a slightly nicer way than saying this:

If you think you are writing coherent english YOU ARE IN DENIAL. Big time! What does that second post even mean? All fees are applicable? Are you trying to say his .com prices are applicable to a ngTLD thread in a gTLD subforum? smh, they are not.

If making valid points is a tantrum to you then you must be living a sad life my friend.
Diversity is what makes the globe goes around. And in your world, only operates with your own version. Therefore, your world will be the same as your image that you present on a certain this and that...

•••
I think sooner or later they will understand renewals between $10-$20 is best to become profitable and gain popularity.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back