Dynadot

discuss New gTLD Renewal Prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Frank Demitri

Established Member
Impact
I have been looking around new tld's and wanted to ask about there renewal pricing. They have different renewals anywhere from $5 to $50 or may be even more. What do you all think is the right renewal price. Is there a right answer to this or does it just depend the tld it self. Does it matter if the tld is a gtld or a cctld or anyother category that it will have a higher or lower tld.

I have been particularly looking into .top, .xyz, .online, .site, .win and .gdn and out of all .top is so far the cheapest in terms of renewal as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see all the input.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"You is a smart individual; however, being smart on everything is not everything in life"

By:ZapNano
See, this is what I mean. Who said anything about being smart? I made a helpful comment on this thread pointing out that transfer fees are lower than renewal fees and I get constantly attacked with the likes of this? Wth are you trying to say? Stop posting nonsense both of you literally derailed and destroyed this thread.

•••
get back on topic!

gtldrenewalprice.sucks might be available to reg. if anybody wants it.

•••
I would very much like to discuss this topic which is why I was annoyed at the nonsensical word vomit that was thrown my way.

I don't think you can paint renewal prices with that broad of a brush, many ngTLDs have been around for longer than a year with reasonable renewal rates and VERY reasonable transfer rates.

Now of course some have gone up a lot and there is no current deal on transfers or renewals anywhere but that is always subject to change, prices as we all know vary across different registries and change at different times, they are so variable that I think its nuts to say they all suck or they are all cheap neither is true.

To my original point, and I will not defend it anymore since I think it stands on its own, I was simply saying it isn't right to complain about a renewal fee if you can get a much better deal by transferring it somewhere but simply can't be bothered with all that "trouble".

I'm not sure what Zap was saying, I think I hurt her feelings by my unapologetic and sarcastic tone. I take offense however at the notion that I somehow don't accept diversity just because I prefer to have posts that challenge me make some sort of conversational sense and ideally be relevant to literally anything I said.

Diversity, its the reason many of the posts in all these ngTLD threads leave me shaking my head. Different registrars, promos, personal strategy and how long you plan to hold, registries with different strategies with regard to raising price or worst case reclassifying premiums as @brindle123 and I have discussed before, etc. All this means speaking about the ngTLDs so generally makes far less sense than saying "I take issue with the current renewal price of [.xyz] and there is no decent place to transfer either".

Oh and just for context, I'm not sure if you directed that at me brindle but I'm not ranting on and double posting, her last 2 posts were removed I was simply responding.

•••
My "get back on topic" comment was for BOTH of you. You both were going down the off topic road.

Don't get offended @SiteMachine.
I didn't understand Zap's post either. There are many people on here from all over the world so I cut them some slack and ignore most posts like that or ask for more clarity, unless it is directed at me and I take offense to it, then the fight is on.

You and I have got into things before and it gets hard to stay on topic sometimes when we are so passionate about what we do. Sometimes we need someone to come along and break things up and get us back on track/topic. Nothing personal.

You are right that I shouldn't paint all gtld prices in such a broad sense. I was just trying to use a little .sucks humor to interject a breakup. I do think that the vast majority of gtlds are overpriced though. Transferring domains around does help to keep costs down, but that is just to beat the retail price paid to the registrar markup. When the wholesale price coming from the registry is too high, there is little we can do about that, except complain to the registry or not buy/renew them. Having to shop around isn't fun but is worth it if it saves you some money in the long run.

I think offering gtlds for $1 specials and then charging $20+ at renewal is just a way to boost reg numbers. That is what they are looking at right now as whether or not a gtld is successful or not. They don't seem to care that much about renewals because they are still running specials to keep the reg numbers up. If people renew or not doesn't really matter, because those domains will get picked back up at the special pricing by other domainers.

It's a vicious cycle of cheap reg's, drops due to high renewal costs, low renewal numbers, and more cheap reg's to keep numbers moving.
Setting a moderate renewal rate keeps the reg'd numbers moving up, lowers drop rates, builds the brand, and keeps investors invested.

New gtlds will come out and investors/domainers will move on if they are not getting good deals on gltds that they've already invested time and money in. Faith and loyalty is what all the new gtlds need from their customers.

Ok so....Mostgtldrenewalpricing.sucks ;)

•••
@brindle123 the thing is, I guess it depends where you register your names but I have never been surprised by the renewal fee. For instance, I have registered a few $0.88 domains at namecheap during the current promo but every single time I knew the renewal rate because it was listed. Sometimes it was around $10 or $15 (.com range) and sometimes they are double that. Very rarely they are more than $30 and usually those have fairly specific TLDs that only work with a limited amount of words so in that case I understand and would encourage them to charge more.

The way I see it is since .com is king and works with everything it also has the largest pool of strings that people desire so its business plan does not require any creative pricing.

I don't think we can have it both ways, that is both continue to be offered bargain basement prices for renewals as well as know that the registries have confidence they can afford to keep running these extensions. We have seen a lot of chatter about how the performance has been underwhelming, but none of that chatter has actually come from any owners of TLDs.

Honestly, the way I read your complaint is more like "I'm upset that the registrations are so cheap" which I don't understand. If you think new gTLD names are worthless than this is a great opportunity for .com people to grab some drops or "chips" while a decent number of people (or newbs if that's your opinion) are distracted with ngTLDs. If you don't think they are worthless than obviously it is also great to be able to buy in so low and then decide if you want to renew later. Of course you could see a $30 renewal now and a $300 renewal in a year and maybe that scares some people, but I have not seen enough evidence of that actually happening to be worried at all. The bits of evidence we have seen have proven to be either mistakes that were fixed, or exaggerated and unproven claims. (The most recent one we both witnessed was an error in godaddy's software.. and to get mad at gTLDs for a software bug in a registrar, and one that I wasn't a fan of before any gTLDS became "n" lol just isn't something I can do in my mind.

•••
Can you post example where transferring between registrars is cheaper than renewal?
Sure, I could transfer my .tech from Godaddy ($70) to Uniregistry ($30) but then transferring away will mean higher cost (e.g. to Namesilo for $40)

The problem with many new extensions is that new registrations are often dirt cheap ($1-5) so domainers can hoard the best names. But renewals are too expensive so most names will drop... and get picked up by another domainer.
End users have a choice - pay someone for .com or pay someone else for .something. They might as well pick longer/different .com - at least they will not have any problems associated with completely unregulated nGTLD mess that we have right now (registries can do whatever they want, hike up renewal prices arbitrarily, even change the price of already registered name, not to mention some of the useless extensions could be gone in a few years etc.)

I think registries are too focused on (unimportant) registration count and not focused enough on adoption by end users.
I think registration price and renewals should be ~$25 - less hoarding in bulk by domain investors but still cheap enough for end users.

spot on. whole post

•••
Can you post example where transferring between registrars is cheaper than renewal?
Sure, I could transfer my .tech from Godaddy ($70) to Uniregistry ($30) but then transferring away will mean higher cost (e.g. to Namesilo for $40)

Um, you just posted the example you asked for. In that example you get 2 more years for $70 instead of one.

You also would have an entire year after the transfer to uniregistry to wait for a better transfer deal than $40 so you could possibly get even more.
spot on. whole post
If you ignore basic math, sure why not :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Um, you just posted the example you asked for. In that example you get 2 more years for $70 instead of one
You said - "A transfer is always cheaper than a renewal".

It works for .com - for example transfer to Godaddy is $8, renewal $15.
transfer to name.com $8, renewal $11,
transfer to namecheap $9, renewal $10.6 I think.

So moving from registrar to registrar is always cheaper.
With new extensions renewals are mostly the same as transfers.

Well, in theory - you have no idea what your next renewal will be - it could be $10, or $100.
Radix might decide that my 3L.tech are now premium and renewal will be $500 - who the hell knows.

Like I've said - new extensions are way too unregulated. ICAAN really should do something about it...

Clear rules, no surprise hikes in fees, no "Hey, great service you have there, but, we've made mistake - your name should be premium so next year you'll have to pay $50,000. Have a nice day"

Just like with com or net increase in renewal should never be more than ~5%, I don't care how many months of a heads up you will give me.

•••
With new extensions renewals are mostly the same as transfers.

You sure about that? I'm sure that you're wrong in many cases. XYZ cheapest renewal $8.97, cheapest transfer $0.99. Huge difference

.club cheapest renewal $9.89 vs $7.95 for transfer

.space $7.29 to renew vs $0.99 to transfer

Those are only the first 3 I checked, if it isn't clear yet then I can't help you.

•••
Where do you have $1 transfers?

•••
Where do you have $1 transfers?
I see you mean 1and1
:xf.eek:

I won't even comment on that. No one in they right mind should do business with those crooks.

•••
lol ok buddy, keep paying 10 times more than you need to.

I've transferred dozens of names to them and back out so I'm not sure what your beef is aside from all the upselling they try to do and you already mentioned you use godaddy the king of upsell so... O_o

•••
I've transferred dozens of names to them and back out so I'm not sure what your beef is
Oh, I don't know, maybe charging for domains that were already transfered out. And sending you to collection agency if you refuse to pay.

And that is just a tip of an iceberg.
Just google "1and1 sucks"

I'm surprised they are still in business.

•••
Oh, I don't know, maybe charging for domains that were already transfered out. And sending you to collection agency if you refuse to pay.

And that is just a tip of an iceberg.
Just google "1and1 sucks"

I'm surprised they are still in business.
ok, while I do that you can google "Godaddy sucks" same types of stories, smh.

I actually have encountered very good service from 1and1, I even actually answered the phone for their first "follow up call" and got to talking to the guy for a bit. Turns out they are trying to get people to use their cloud hosting so when he found out I was a developer he offered to send me some work when a customer needs a developer. All he asked in exchange was to not push them to another host. 2 weeks later he sent me a client.

No complaints here.

In general though, I'd assume whoever had that issue had auto-renewal selected. I have no sympathy for those people, it shows massive laziness that they can't keep up with their domains once a year and re-evaluate them. Now I may wish they didn't set auto-renewal by default but literally more than half of all registrars do so roll with those punches and remember to deactivate it.

•••
In general though, I'd assume whoever had that issue had auto-renewal selected.
How can they autorenew domain you already transfered out - show me registrar that charges you for names you have somewhere else.
It's not only unethical but should be illegal. I don't know how they can get away with it for so long.

Ihave no sympathy for those people, it shows massive laziness
So you have no sympathy for victims of unethical companies. Mmkey.

Ok, let's go back to the subject of this thread.

•••
It's not only unethical but should be illegal. I don't know how they can get away with it for so long.

What you are referring to is clearly a mistake if it is even true. Regardless it is completely anecdotal.

I'll continue giving my opinion based on personal experience and you can keep trolling with the he said she saids.

•••
•••
Yes, and Hitler was actually not a bad guy since Merkel has a lot of critics too.
Or something like that...?
Lol 1and1 does twice the revenue of godaddy with far less complaints. If you read the godaddy complaints they are of the EXACT same nature as what you blamed 1and1 for, people being charged years after they cancel.

No I think as you pulled this thread down you made it quite obvious who is trying to defend undefendable.

So in summary you enter a new gTLD pricing thread, call me out because you don't think my logic holds true for transfers vs renewals and in the same first post you give a little diatribe against ngtlds and say how .com is the only extension end users will want and post some silly fantasy that all extensions are capped at $25/yr.

I point out that you are wrong about transfers and one by one you defend yourself with new points which I also promptly prove wrong. Every.. single.... time.

So yes I will stop responding to you, only because I'm trying to bring sense to the unsensible and you apparently like to just pull things out of you know where in an attempt to have the last word.

•••
Just finance the .com name over 6 or so years with escrow.com. You will come out ahead. If you're going that route start with .com first. Way to much to pay for renewals. Just IMO

•••
I think we should avoid who is good and who is bad and rather focus on the renewal prices for these new tlds.
We have to remember that the registries usually give prices that are lower as compared to registrars who charge according to their strategy.

There are definitely some crazy renewals but that doesnt mean we start blaming or taking names..

•••
Where is currently the cheapest for bulk registrations of .com?

•••
I found this website gtld.club. It is a forum or news sort of website. I believe they are big club fans but to my surprise they have shown a lot of respect to ... I guess it is good for all those who are buying gdn domains like myself

•••
Well, in theory - you have no idea what your next renewal will be - it could be $10, or $100.
Radix might decide that my 3L.tech are now premium and renewal will be $500 - who the hell knows.

Like I've said - new extensions are way too unregulated. ICAAN really should do something about it...

As far as I know, they can't increase prices for already registered names. If it's in general availability, then yes.

•••
•••
I also use 1and1 for years... and saved a lot of money there...
And Yes, their billing is not ideal... but such issues were resolved for me by contacting them...
And Yes, their panel is stupid... because is not targeted on domainers...

•••

Popular this week

• The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back